“Rude”

Hwy 55 Burgers Shakes & Fries
Ranked #730 of 1,435 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Description: Craving fresh-never-frozen-burgers, premium sliced cheesesteaks piled high on steamed hoagies, and creamy frozen custard made in-house, right in front of you? You're in the right spot. Hwy 55 Burgers, Shakes & Fries has brought a fresh, All-American diner experience since its start in 1991. With its open-grill design, the kitchen's dedication and care when hand-crafting meals is front and center. So come join us at Hwy 55 in Virginia Beach! We're excited to see you.
“Rude”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We walked in excited because of the atmosphere, got seated immediately. We got seated near the open kitchen, where servers walk past. We never got greeted. About 5-6 employees walk past looking at our table, but never took the time to come up to our table. It was not busy for the amount of employees there were. We left after ten minutes, and the same person who sat us told us to have a great day in a sarcastic tone. It's sad because I am a server in the industry. Will not come back.

• Visited May 2014

Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not even worth your time...”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I will preface this with some back story...I have eaten at Highway 55 on Great Neck Rd and throughout NC, this is not even close to being on par with the other locations. Our drinks were disgusting and were sent back twice before we finally asked for plain soda, which we never received. We ordered a side salad with out meals, which never came...we finally asked for the check, paid, and left. Our server seemed completely clueless when we asked for our drinks to be replaced or mentioned that the service/food was not correct or as ordered. We will avoid this location when deciding to eat at Highway 55.

• Visited April 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had never been to the place before so this was new. The first thing my wife and I noticed were the teenagers basically running the place. Not a bad thing because it had this young feel. After being seated, we were greeted by the waitress with a smile. I asked about the "Steak Plate" because I didn't think it was a traditional "Hamburger", but my wife assured me that it was. "She had never been to the place either." The waitress assured us that it was a hamburger so I ordered it. I should have caught it when she said, "and you would like french toast right?" It wouldn't make sense to have a traditional burger served with "extra bread". I let that go.
When our order arrived, the "steak plate", was just what I thought it was. A piece of hamburger meat with all the fixin's on top...and no burger bun. So, it was "not" the traditional burger that the waitress had said that it was. Mentioning it to her, she smiled with a big grin, stared at me with big round eyes and said, "it's a hamburger". I realized then that she really wasn't listening to me at that moment or in the beginning when we first ordered. I'm not saying that she was mean because she wasn't. She wasn't sincere and seemed to pretend. I chocked it up to her pregnancy. I'm not one to cause a fuss so I accepted the plate and it was good. The shake was good also and my wife enjoyed her meal. The waitress came over 3x asking if we needed anything, and I thought it was my imagination, but she didn't seem like she was in a good mood...but she smiled. After she had checked on us the 3rd time, I mentioned to my wife if it seemed as though the waitress had an attitude or was having a bad day. My wife agreed. When the waitress dropped off the bill, $23 and some change, we decided to give her $30, leaving her the remainder as a tip. The waitress returned for the bill and when we said "keep the change", she didn't say, "thank you"...or "thanks" or anything. She just walked off. My wife looked across the table at me and said, "thank you too".
So, the food was good, the atmosphere nice, but the service could use a bit of tweaking.

• Visited February 2014
Va Beach
“Tasty Burger in Diner atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Anxiously awaiting the opening of Hwy 55 , my husband and I finally had the pleasure of dining there. The space was very clean and decked out with nostalgic pictures and statues that took us back to our childhood and teenage years. Black and white checked floors and pink and blue tasteful chairs made for a fin atmosphere. The menu was simple with different sizes of of burgers, chicken, cheese, and shrimp sandwiches and platters to name a few. We both had the bacon cheese burger and fries. The burger had a great flavor. I ordered the regular size, but I wished that I had ordered the larger one because it was so good. We both had fries. The tea had a good flavor, and they served it with crushed ice!! The shakes looked wonderful, but we were too full to try them. We will definitely have them next time. And there will be a next time!

• Visited November 2013