“Big Improvements”

Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Big Improvements”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

Have stayed at the Marjac suites on several occasions. The location is right in the middle of everything. In the past I woud rate this hotel well below average, but the price is always right and a family can stay comfortably. I was fully prepared when I arrived to do some serious disinfecting..armed with Lysol, Febreze and various room air fresheners, even packed my own linens. To my surprise, the hotel has undergone some big time renovation!! The stinky musky carpet has been replaced with new, cushiony carpet, brand new tile flooring throughout, new countertops and cabinets, appliance upgrades, digital thermostats, new paint and wallpaper. Not to mention the safe was actually achored to the floor this time, not hanging over and falling on the floor. Also, new entry locks on the rooms, gone are the days of the regular room key...credit card style now.The room had no odors whatsoever or anything to complain about! Before this was a pretty rundown place, but it is getting so much better. So glad to see some money going into this place!! Our housekeeper was Juanita. She was very sweet and personable, checked on us whenever she saw us to see if we needed anything. Although we didn't have our room cleaned during our stay, we would always come back to find a bag of necessities hanging on our door (clean towels, washcloths, soap, shampoo & TP). Juanita went above and beyond.
Another issue that has concerned me in the past was security at this place. When we stayed here before, we took every valuable we had with us when going out. Seemed to me like there were alot of people hanging around the lobby that were neither guests or employees. It made for an uneasy stay. The Marjac must be under new management or something because ALL of that is changed as well. There are usually the same 2-3 smiling faces at the front desk now, eager to help in any way possible. Gone are the shady nine time felons hanging around in the lobby. It made me ecstatic to know they now had a security guard there at night enforcing the guests only rule. My brother accidentally left his brand new laptop in the room when we went out for the day and amazingly enough, it was there when we returned!! An EXTREME plus for this place!!!! (0:
Please do not be deterred by my review, the Marjac has come a long way since last summer. The hotel is becoming more updated, and it was a very pleasant stay for my family. Actually it was the best stay we have ever had there. We immediately called our friends that usually go along with us and stay here and told them about the renovations and upgrades. It's not a dump anymore!
My advice is try the Marjac now. If you have stayed before, you will be very surprised now. What a difference.
The only disappointments I had were no internet access, but I'm sure that will happen shortly. (Although if you go out front, Abbey Rd is unsecured just FYI) My other complaint was being on the 7th floor and the elevator having problems..like when we were checking out. Nothing more aggravating than making 3 trips up and down 7 flights of stairs with luggage. They were working on that while we were checking out, so I am sure it is fixed now.

One more thing to mention, so you won't be shocked during your stay. When we came down to our vehicle one morning to get our beach towels and chairs/umbrellas we were interrogated by hotel staff. They asked us if we were guests of the hotel..then further asked what room we were staying in. We had a parking pass displayed and everything. They wanted to "make sure our car was still gonna be here when we got back" they said. Why wouldn't it be??? If they checked their registered guest list, they would know. With limited parking oceanfront, I can see why. Just a bit out of the ordinary I suppose, but it only takes one dishonest person to ruin it for the rest of us. I just coughed it up as improved security! (o:

Give Marjac a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Price, renovation of room, location
  • Disliked — Elevator issues, but were usually resolved in a timely manner
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2008

Just spent a weekend here and was honestly nervous based on the reviews I've read, but the price was right and it's oceanfront, so decided to take the chance. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The room itself is nothing fancy, but it was clean. The front desk warned us that none of the rooms are non smoking yet, but they are in the process of renovations and rooms will be non smoking when that is finished. Thankfully our room did not smell of smoke, but the front desk offered to provide an air purifier if it did.
It's certainly not the nicest hotel on the boardwalk, but for what we wanted to pay it was fine.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

I didn't have too high expectations due to the low price, but I was surprised that when I got to the hotel the price was $20 less on the sign out front then what I had booked the hotel for just a week before. Unfortunately, that was only the beginning. Upon arrival I was not thrilled to find the staff smoking on the elevator (which there is only one and it is old and antiquated) and also in the office of the lobby. The room was fair, with furniture that was probably original. The hotel has updated the kitchenette with granite counter tops and a nice microwave ( the bathroom also had granite sink top) so that was nice, but they should have gone the extra mile and bought new mattresses for the beds and pull out couch. Don't bother trying to call the front desk, they NEVER answer. The second day it was very warm in our room (83 degrees) and when I complained to the front desk they stated that I wasn't the only guest who had this problem and that they would send maintenance up to check the problem. Maintenance informed me that the main AC unit had not been turned on yet and that there was nothing he could do, but suggested that I open the door to the room and the one to the balcony to get a breeze through the room and that might cool down the room. That was fine if I was there and not planning on going anywhere. We went out for dinner and came back and the room was even hotter and it was around 6 pm at that time. Once again I went to the front desk and complained. The staff member called the manager who responded that they could move me to another room (all the rooms were hot - why move) or that they could give me a fan, but that was all they could do and to basically deal with it. Finally the maintence man brought the fan and once again suggested I open all the doors (standing outside my room with a cigarette in his mouth the whole time). The following morning there was an incident in the lobby with another guest and a staff member that not only did my husband overhear, but also my 12 yr old daughter and her friend, that had foul language and disgusting problems regarding lack of cleaning and obviously changing of the bed linen from the previous guest in that room. I will NEVER stay at that hotel again and I plan to lodge a complaint to the Va Beach Hotel Association concerning this hotel. Whatever you do, DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2008
virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2007

i checked in friday oct 26 2007 to find a huge 2 room suite it was old but at 59.95 you couldnt beat it parking was average to be at the beach the staff was very helpful and respectful. its across the street from all the bars and at night it gets pretty loud and it echos off the building giving it a loud effect the view was great it was a lot of military people in this hotel though. and they need to update kitchen appliances but other then that i had a great weekend leaving oct29 oh the elevator is a little small but hey the trip was great

• Liked — the location everything was so close thanks dwayne for a great time
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank beenaround08
Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2007

I booked the room for marjac suites..i know that one of the cheaper places isn't going to be the best but this experience was horrible. My fiance and i arrived at the hotel at oct 26 for his birthday weekend. At first was kinda startling when the whole crew of the hotel was downstairs swearing and talking on cellphones and not helping us at all when we were lugging or luggage through their extremely small elevator.. Also the hotel staff was eyeballing are luggage and making us very uneasy. we arrived at the room which the deadbolt was broken off i don't know if this is some kind of violation for security at hotel in virginia or not. We arrived at the hotel and with this startling beginning my fiance looked online and saw many many reviews of terrible experiences at this dump. We were so uneasy that we took all of our belongings to lock up in the trunk of my car. We had a evening out in the town then arrived back at the dump around 11pm the first thing that happened was a massive fight that involved about 20 or 30 people and about 10 police cars arrived to break up the fight. then the best part came when around 2 am someone tried to break into our room! the suspect opened the door probably with a key that was made for the door since there is no electronice locks on this hotel. the suspect opened the door it then startled both of us and my fiance got up and the suspect tried to open it again expect the fact that the door had a door stop that only allowed it to be opened several inches.. the suspect heard my fiance deterring him and fled...the hotel said that they couldn't help who is allowed up the only entrance which is in the lobby...after this experience i was so concerned about my safety i made the decision to leave this hotel the following evening.. my fiance.... on his birthday weekend had to pay for a hotel down the street at the hilton just so he can enjoy the rest of his weekend... when i checked out early the desk clerk DID NOT CARE AT ALL! that we were leaving early because of what happened... this hotel is a serious concern for the virginia beach region.. my fiance is going to try and pursue this issue to report them to the proper channels and websites NEED to consider this place a very big issue and post warning on their website or not voucher them as a place to stay...
Kristin

• Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank indstatedp
WV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2007

My family and I arrived at this "hotel" on 9/1/07 and our stay was through 9/3/07; we paid $189.00 (cash) per night. This hotel is worth maybe $39.99 - and only that much because it's oceanfront. Our 2nd day there we spent the morning on the beach only to come back to our room with the "safe" open and appx. $1400.00 cash was stolen. It was open because some one had used a key to open it and in order to lock it back, the code I programmed in had to be entered.

When I called the operator to report this theft, she said "let me call you right back." I ran down 7 flights of stairs only to find her sitting looking out the window. I called the police, made a report, and they informed me it would take approximately 2 weeks then I should call them back. I asked a maintenance man who had keys to the safe and he said one was kept at the front desk.

Not one employee offered an apology to me or my family. I feel sure we're not the only one's this has happened to and maybe if enough people get together and make complaints, we can shut down this scam. It truly is a SCAM!

If this has happened to your or any one you know, contact J. Charles Burlage, Sr. (President/Headquarters) @ [--].

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank scammed-hard
Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2007

Rules to follow:
Take your own towels, sheets, blankets etc....
Take your own chairs and couches....(they may have been on the balcony!!!! I saw it with my own eyes)
If you have children, dont let them play on the balcony, they may crawl under the divide into someone elses balsony (VERY bad safety issue)
Take your cleaning supplies...the room looks SO dirty
Check the windows....if it rains the windows leak
Read ALL posted signs at the welcome desk.....If you dont like the hotel they WILL charge for the next nights stay....
Take fip flops to walk around the room in....
If you like to be seen why you swim then YOU will LOVE the pool in the front of the hotel right off the street!!!!

As you can tell my stay at the Marjac hotel was a COMPLETE DISASTER!!! The room was DISGUSTING....ALL of the furniture is OUTDATED and so old (the couch tilted forward!!) that I was afraid to sit on it without using a sheet to cover everything. Because the hotel was so absolutely disgusting it made me want to clean with my cleaning solution….and spray EVERYTHING with Lysol. Amazing enough even though it was a smoking room there didn’t appear to be a smell of smoke and when I wiped down everything with my cleaning rag the room came up clean. The next morning I knew that I was going to check into another hotel and to my amazement the front desk clerk looked at me like she could have cared less and the manager would only refund one of my rooms but charged me for the next night because of the hotel rules that state “if you want to check out 24 hour notice is needed!!!!” AINT DAT SOMETHING!! The hotel staff...you just have to see them for yourselves.... Any way needless to say I found another room loved my stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites on 25th!!! Guess what they had pets in the hotel and you would NEVER know until you see them!!!! Thanks Holiday Inn and Suites!!!!

3 Thank sumkises