“Schizophrenic Hotel - Good and Bad”
Review of Marjac Suites

Marjac Suites
Ranked #94 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 9 June 2008

Potentially a nice low cost hotel on the beach in the center of the strip. Rooms are nicely laid out, kitchen is nice with granite counters, utensils, dishes, pots and pans, microwave and stove, great view of the beach, decent A/C, TVs in Bedroom and Living Room, friendly, helpful staff.

On the other hand, there is only one elevator. Not even a service elevator. When we arrived, it had been broken for three days. It was murder getting our luggage up to the seventh floor. There are no porters to help - not that kind of hotel. This is a real design flaw, so I would never stay there for that one reason alone. Most guests were tolerant. However, while guests wouldn't smoke in an elevator, some jerks felt free to selfishly smoke up and down the stairway making the use of it even more uncomfortable.

When we got into the room, which was made up and clean, we went to turn on the TV and there was no remote control in the LR, and the TV in the BR didn't work. There were no towels or soap. The freezer hadn't been defrosted in probably a year (we defrosted it before we checked out five days later), and the bathroom sink barely drained.

We called the front desk and they sent the handyman with towels and soap, who arrived within minutes despite having to walk up seven flights. He then fixed the TVs, brought and programmed a remote, and somewhat cleared the sink drain. So now the only problem was the elevator, which was fixed the next morning.

Housekeeping was fair. They cleaned the bathroom, changed the towels, made the bed, but vacuuming was sporadic.

There is no internet access, but early in the morning you can receive a weak unsecured WiFi signal from the balcony facing the street, or you can go accross the street and sit at the outdoor seating area of the Abbey Road restaurant until around 9:30 am when they come in to set up, or you could actually get breakfast or a cup of coffee once it opens at 11 and use their signal legitimately.

The pool is very small, in front of the hotel in the parking lot next to the street, so it is very noisy. However, when it was too windy and cool at the beach, we sat on one of the six lounge chairs in the small seating area.

As cheap as this hotel was, I wouldn't ever stay here again, even if I liked the town, which had some nice features and restaurants, but I wasn't crazy about it or the noisy military jets constantly training at low altitude overhead.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank markhughw
There are newer reviews for Marjac Suites

Reviewed 7 June 2008

I was concerned after reading the reviews for this hotel but was happy to see some positive reviews more reecntly. After arriving I was totally surprised. The room was completely renovated, the staff terrific and I met many wonderful people there. The room was clean, the view was spectacular and it was right in the middle of everything. Everyone with us felt completely safe and we plan on visiting there again next summer. We miss it already!

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank funinva
Reviewed 7 June 2008

WOW, my husband and myself and our two children stayed 7 nights at th Marjac. We had a wonderful stay, from the view to the staffs hospitality we loved it. We got a wonderful price. We were only upset when we wanted to stay an extra night and was told our rate per night would double. I guess peak season does that. The sofa matress could have been a little softer but other than that would recommend this hotel. We had no loud noise once we were in the room. We actually slept with the patio door open every night!!! If you are not into the tourist sites then do not stay here, there will be to much fun for you here!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Have stayed at the Marjac suites on several occasions. The location is right in the middle of everything. In the past I woud rate this hotel well below average, but the price is always right and a family can stay comfortably. I was fully prepared when I arrived to do some serious disinfecting..armed with Lysol, Febreze and various room air fresheners, even packed my own linens. To my surprise, the hotel has undergone some big time renovation!! The stinky musky carpet has been replaced with new, cushiony carpet, brand new tile flooring throughout, new countertops and cabinets, appliance upgrades, digital thermostats, new paint and wallpaper. Not to mention the safe was actually achored to the floor this time, not hanging over and falling on the floor. Also, new entry locks on the rooms, gone are the days of the regular room key...credit card style now.The room had no odors whatsoever or anything to complain about! Before this was a pretty rundown place, but it is getting so much better. So glad to see some money going into this place!! Our housekeeper was Juanita. She was very sweet and personable, checked on us whenever she saw us to see if we needed anything. Although we didn't have our room cleaned during our stay, we would always come back to find a bag of necessities hanging on our door (clean towels, washcloths, soap, shampoo & TP). Juanita went above and beyond.
Another issue that has concerned me in the past was security at this place. When we stayed here before, we took every valuable we had with us when going out. Seemed to me like there were alot of people hanging around the lobby that were neither guests or employees. It made for an uneasy stay. The Marjac must be under new management or something because ALL of that is changed as well. There are usually the same 2-3 smiling faces at the front desk now, eager to help in any way possible. Gone are the shady nine time felons hanging around in the lobby. It made me ecstatic to know they now had a security guard there at night enforcing the guests only rule. My brother accidentally left his brand new laptop in the room when we went out for the day and amazingly enough, it was there when we returned!! An EXTREME plus for this place!!!! (0:
Please do not be deterred by my review, the Marjac has come a long way since last summer. The hotel is becoming more updated, and it was a very pleasant stay for my family. Actually it was the best stay we have ever had there. We immediately called our friends that usually go along with us and stay here and told them about the renovations and upgrades. It's not a dump anymore!
My advice is try the Marjac now. If you have stayed before, you will be very surprised now. What a difference.
The only disappointments I had were no internet access, but I'm sure that will happen shortly. (Although if you go out front, Abbey Rd is unsecured just FYI) My other complaint was being on the 7th floor and the elevator having problems..like when we were checking out. Nothing more aggravating than making 3 trips up and down 7 flights of stairs with luggage. They were working on that while we were checking out, so I am sure it is fixed now.

One more thing to mention, so you won't be shocked during your stay. When we came down to our vehicle one morning to get our beach towels and chairs/umbrellas we were interrogated by hotel staff. They asked us if we were guests of the hotel..then further asked what room we were staying in. We had a parking pass displayed and everything. They wanted to "make sure our car was still gonna be here when we got back" they said. Why wouldn't it be??? If they checked their registered guest list, they would know. With limited parking oceanfront, I can see why. Just a bit out of the ordinary I suppose, but it only takes one dishonest person to ruin it for the rest of us. I just coughed it up as improved security! (o:

Give Marjac a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2008

Just spent a weekend here and was honestly nervous based on the reviews I've read, but the price was right and it's oceanfront, so decided to take the chance. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The room itself is nothing fancy, but it was clean. The front desk warned us that none of the rooms are non smoking yet, but they are in the process of renovations and rooms will be non smoking when that is finished. Thankfully our room did not smell of smoke, but the front desk offered to provide an air purifier if it did.
It's certainly not the nicest hotel on the boardwalk, but for what we wanted to pay it was fine.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I didn't have too high expectations due to the low price, but I was surprised that when I got to the hotel the price was $20 less on the sign out front then what I had booked the hotel for just a week before. Unfortunately, that was only the beginning. Upon arrival I was not thrilled to find the staff smoking on the elevator (which there is only one and it is old and antiquated) and also in the office of the lobby. The room was fair, with furniture that was probably original. The hotel has updated the kitchenette with granite counter tops and a nice microwave ( the bathroom also had granite sink top) so that was nice, but they should have gone the extra mile and bought new mattresses for the beds and pull out couch. Don't bother trying to call the front desk, they NEVER answer. The second day it was very warm in our room (83 degrees) and when I complained to the front desk they stated that I wasn't the only guest who had this problem and that they would send maintenance up to check the problem. Maintenance informed me that the main AC unit had not been turned on yet and that there was nothing he could do, but suggested that I open the door to the room and the one to the balcony to get a breeze through the room and that might cool down the room. That was fine if I was there and not planning on going anywhere. We went out for dinner and came back and the room was even hotter and it was around 6 pm at that time. Once again I went to the front desk and complained. The staff member called the manager who responded that they could move me to another room (all the rooms were hot - why move) or that they could give me a fan, but that was all they could do and to basically deal with it. Finally the maintence man brought the fan and once again suggested I open all the doors (standing outside my room with a cigarette in his mouth the whole time). The following morning there was an incident in the lobby with another guest and a staff member that not only did my husband overhear, but also my 12 yr old daughter and her friend, that had foul language and disgusting problems regarding lack of cleaning and obviously changing of the bed linen from the previous guest in that room. I will NEVER stay at that hotel again and I plan to lodge a complaint to the Va Beach Hotel Association concerning this hotel. Whatever you do, DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 30 October 2007

i checked in friday oct 26 2007 to find a huge 2 room suite it was old but at 59.95 you couldnt beat it parking was average to be at the beach the staff was very helpful and respectful. its across the street from all the bars and at night it gets pretty loud and it echos off the building giving it a loud effect the view was great it was a lot of military people in this hotel though. and they need to update kitchen appliances but other then that i had a great weekend leaving oct29 oh the elevator is a little small but hey the trip was great

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends