“Not what we had expected” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #147 of 1,405 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Virginia Beach
“Not what we had expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

My husband and I were excited to read about this highly acclaimed Chinese restaurant close to where we live. We went there a couple of weeks ago - we had been looking for a nice eat-in Chinese place. The decor was nice and the service was very good. What we had was delicious, but we had not realized that this was really authentic Chinese cuisine and we did not recognize much of what was on the menu. Also, many of the items were spicy, marked with little red chili peppers, so that excluded quite a few things for us. I had Golden Mountain Chicken which was wonderful, but my husband stuck with Lo Mein which I thought was rather boring for such a nice restaurant. He said it was great! So - if you are into real Chinese food, I would highly recommend this place, but if you are used to American Chinese (like us), maybe this is not the place for you. There were a lot of Chinese diners so that tells you something.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank vmarstell_10

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Lots of hype, not what I expected. Disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Had a lot of friends loving their experience here and I decided to take family for dinner. Dim sum was pretty good, but my husband, frequent flyer and diner, says "have had better chinese food in the food court at Baltimore airport". I have to agree. Was hoping for wonderful, not mediocre. Server was quirky and scattered, not terrible, just not good. Will spend my $ elsewhere.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Pat G
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Outstanding Cuisine with a unique menu...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is the best Sichuan cuisine in hamptonroads... The prices are fair, and the climate/decor was very fitting.We started with a couple of appetizers, crispy pork belly and pan-fried pork dumpling, they arrived very promptly and were full of flavor.... I had the beef with three pepper stir-fry; it had onions, a mixture of peppers and a bold taste of basil. The biggest challenge I had was, what I should order, they have such a large selection. My wife had the stir-fried jumbo shrimp with asparagus and snow peas. I sampled a bit of her meal, this too was another outstanding dish! The waitress made sure our drinks were replenished, this was very significant because my meal was (just as I like it) spicy-spicy. Everything was so fresh and the portions were plentiful. I can't wait for another visit.

3 Thank Big-Mike44
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Fresh Flavors and Variety”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Recommended to me by a friend, this was our first time trying this restaurant. There are a plethora of intriguing dishes on the very large menu. Many may be chosen to be very hot, hot, or not hot. I had the New Zealand lamb chops (not hot) and the dry cooked green beans. The chops were tender and delicious and the beans were far more flavorful than I expected. My husband had a chicken dish (hot)which he cannot recall the name of, but I tried it and it was excellent as well. Many people around us had ordered a bubble pancake from the appetizer menu. I was dissuaded because it has a curry dipping sauce and I personally do not like curry, but the puffy pancake looked so appetizing that I would like to try it next time. There also are various offerings with pork belly that interested me, as well as numerous other unusual choices on the menu that I look forward to trying in the future. My son is a vegetarian and although he was not with us, I checked the listings and found quite a few options that looked promising for him. The service was very good and the atmosphere is casual, but comfortable. The restaurant was busy for a Monday night, but we got there early and did not have to wait. I am truly looking forward to going back, even though Asian food is not my favorite. Prices are moderate. Mr. Chang was there in person tonight.

1 Thank Pennelainer
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“New opportunity for great Asian Inspired food in Va Beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

After an early morning of intense after-Christmas shopping, I treated my two daughters to lunch at this new restaurant. I am aware of this brand from things I have read about their other two places in Virginia and we were NOT disappointed! Our server, Kim, was terrific and gave us great suggestions for just the lunch to perk us up! We started with the chicken lettuce wraps and we all rated them the best we had ever enjoyed! Our lunches all came with a choice of soup, some spring rolls and fried wonton strips. Both the Hot & Sour and Won Ton(house made pork strip filled won-tons by the way!) soups were perfect! So good in fact, I had another portion of soup prepared to bring home for my husband! Entrees were very good, great spice and flavor and very ample portions. Each us brought home enough for another meal! This place will become a fast favorite for those of us in the Kempsville/Princess Anne area for sure!!!! Welcome Peter!!!

1 Thank Helen B