“Authentic Szechuan with a creative flair”
Review of Peter Chang

Peter Chang
Ranked #137 of 1,453 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Peter Chang is a real person, born in China, with a creative mastery of Szechwan ingredients and flavors. This is not you local Chinese restaurant, no buffet here! It is a culinary treat. Szechuan cooking uses a lot of spices and peppers and is full of mouth awakening flavors. I'm not a real spicy flavor person and not all the dishes are hot and spicy, so you can bring your tamer friends. But if you like creative and spicy, this will satisfy your issues, come and enjoy. The restaurant décor is nice but simple with the focus on the food. The menu has a huge selection and you will find the staff very helpful in choosing your dishes.

The real way to enjoy this is Chinese family style at the large tables. Bring a crowd, order a variety of appetizers to share, sample and experiment. Do the same with the entrees, there is plenty to go around and everyone should have a chance to experiment. The dishes come out quickly so take your time between ordering appetizers and entrees. For me,this is one of the very few Chinese restaurants that was just like being back and eating out in China. The prices were almost as inexpensive as China as well, very reasonably priced.

Don't miss the scallion bubble pancake, it's fun to share and soaks up the juices and spices of whatever you order. The tofu skin and sweet ribs are great, as is everything we tried. Fresh ingredients, creative and delicious, I'll be back.

1  Thank BambooH2O

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My husband and I were excited to read about this highly acclaimed Chinese restaurant close to where we live. We went there a couple of weeks ago - we had been looking for a nice eat-in Chinese place. The decor was nice and the service was very good. What we had was delicious, but we had not realized that this was really authentic Chinese cuisine and we did not recognize much of what was on the menu. Also, many of the items were spicy, marked with little red chili peppers, so that excluded quite a few things for us. I had Golden Mountain Chicken which was wonderful, but my husband stuck with Lo Mein which I thought was rather boring for such a nice restaurant. He said it was great! So - if you are into real Chinese food, I would highly recommend this place, but if you are used to American Chinese (like us), maybe this is not the place for you. There were a lot of Chinese diners so that tells you something.

3  Thank vmarstell_10
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Had a lot of friends loving their experience here and I decided to take family for dinner. Dim sum was pretty good, but my husband, frequent flyer and diner, says "have had better chinese food in the food court at Baltimore airport". I have to agree. Was hoping for wonderful, not mediocre. Server was quirky and scattered, not terrible, just not good. Will spend my $ elsewhere.

3  Thank Pat G
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is the best Sichuan cuisine in hamptonroads... The prices are fair, and the climate/decor was very fitting.We started with a couple of appetizers, crispy pork belly and pan-fried pork dumpling, they arrived very promptly and were full of flavor.... I had the beef with three pepper stir-fry; it had onions, a mixture of peppers and a bold taste of basil. The biggest challenge I had was, what I should order, they have such a large selection. My wife had the stir-fried jumbo shrimp with asparagus and snow peas. I sampled a bit of her meal, this too was another outstanding dish! The waitress made sure our drinks were replenished, this was very significant because my meal was (just as I like it) spicy-spicy. Everything was so fresh and the portions were plentiful. I can't wait for another visit.

3  Thank Big-Mike44
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Recommended to me by a friend, this was our first time trying this restaurant. There are a plethora of intriguing dishes on the very large menu. Many may be chosen to be very hot, hot, or not hot. I had the New Zealand lamb chops (not hot) and the dry cooked green beans. The chops were tender and delicious and the beans were far more flavorful than I expected. My husband had a chicken dish (hot)which he cannot recall the name of, but I tried it and it was excellent as well. Many people around us had ordered a bubble pancake from the appetizer menu. I was dissuaded because it has a curry dipping sauce and I personally do not like curry, but the puffy pancake looked so appetizing that I would like to try it next time. There also are various offerings with pork belly that interested me, as well as numerous other unusual choices on the menu that I look forward to trying in the future. My son is a vegetarian and although he was not with us, I checked the listings and found quite a few options that looked promising for him. The service was very good and the atmosphere is casual, but comfortable. The restaurant was busy for a Monday night, but we got there early and did not have to wait. I am truly looking forward to going back, even though Asian food is not my favorite. Prices are moderate. Mr. Chang was there in person tonight.

1  Thank Pennelainer