“EXCELLENT ROOM, SERVICE, BREAKFAST BUFFET, BEACH ACCESS”

Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Best thing about the hotel: you are paying for more than a hotel room! For the price per night, you get the following: a one-bedroom suite with super comfortable king-sized bed and an excellent full window view of the ocean! So you can stay in the bed, while watching Virginia Beach's beautiful sunrise! There is a spacious closet/sink area leading to the bathroom to allow enough space for your regular routines. The suite features a full living room, kitchen area, a balcony with direct view of the ocean, two flat screen TVs, and free WiFi service. I got everything I asked for when I booked directly on marriott.com a couple of weeks before-- the extra pillows and top floor/Penthouse room away from the elevators! Customer service was also outstanding. They even offer free valet parking. I called the hotel 15 minutes before arriving to ensure my requests. The hotel offers full breakfast buffet and the food quality is pretty decent. On Mondays and Wednesdays, the hotel offers FREE themed dinner buffets, though I missed the Wednesday Barbecue Night because I already booked a reservation with nearby Catch 31. The hotel is located in the North Beach area of Virginia Beach (between 33rd and 32nd street, next to Four Sails and Hampton Inn Suites, the Hilton, and the new shopping area)...away from the usual touristy, crowded area of Virginia Beach (17th-24th street). The hotel is right on the boardwalk, a few steps away from the Neptune sculpture, the children's playground in the sand, and Ocean's Park where they offer free nightly entertainment. Catch 31 Seafood Restaurant and Bar is also a few steps away-- offering you top-quality meals and bar items. Things I didn't like-- the lobby area is a bit too cramped, there is only one computer in the common area (I expected bigger space per the picture). I thought the pool and the exercise room were also pretty small. F-16's and F-18 from nearby military bases were also conducting some air exercises so the flyover noise bothered my quiet moments at the beach. What the Residence Inn lacked in lobby area sizes, they more than made up for the room sizes! Great value, excellent customer service, highly recommended! One of the newer hotels in Virgina Beach! Right on the boardwalk. Only a few steps away from bike rentals.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 April 2011

Except for a couple of small quibbles, I can only say favorable things about the Residence Inn.
Quibbles: 1.The bathroom sink was quite slow, and they never really fixed it even though we called it in. 2. The wireless computer connection was slow, and it apparently installed a house program that replaced my homepage with another and screwed up my e-mail (but this might have been m fault, I'm terrible with computers. When I deleted the hotel-installed home page everything returned to normal).

Having said this, I will say that everything else was really excellent and we will certainly return there again. Facilities, service, location, all were great. They has a complimentary manager's special buffet bar two evenings when we were there, and we used it for our evening meal both nights. Pretty good kitchenettes (I do wish there was an oven, not just countertop range and microwave, so I could have broiled fish) allowed us to prepare and eat light meals in the room, an important option for us.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, so not much difference.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2011

AWESOME EXPERIENCE. Couldnt have asked for more. Wonderful & clean room. Perfect amenities. VERY Pet Friendly. Practical and convenient kitchen. Outstanding view and location. Exceptional service, very friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast offered downstairs totally exceeded expectations - large variety each morning, fresh and nice to be able to bring up to your room. I will always stay at the Residence Inn when I vacation in Virginia Beach. The staff were wonderful and really added to the trip. Cannot say enough good things about my weekend experience there!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Wanted a pet-friendly close getaway to the beach for Spring Break '11. The Residence Inn was perfect. Front desk staff was super friendly and accomodating. We're used to staying in villa/rental with our 3 yr old pooch. Asked for a high floor away from traffic and "neighbors" opening/shutting doors. Room was great - full kitchen, separate suite for us, sofabed for our son & pup - super clean and fabulous view of the ocean. Our dog loved it! And so did we. Boardwalk and beach are right outside. Beautiful location. Beach is very clean and everyone we ran into was very nice. The hotel's breakfast was fantastic - variety of hot entrees (breakfast burritos, sausage hash, belgian waffles, scrambled eggs, meat, croissants) and fresh fruit; in addition to standard Continental fare. Lots of good restaurants near by - casual, but with excellent fresh cuisine. Loved Rudee's and Catch 31. Would've tried more, but unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. 40 degrees, drizzle, and wind... Just not what we wanted in a vacation. Had to cut our stay short.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank game_mom
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Very nice rooms, nice little balcony, great views to the Ocean. Staff is very attentive, especially front desk. . In particular Sam (i think her name is).
Breakfast has very good selections.
Parking is limited on site but they have free valet.
Kids enjoyed pool. Location was great.
Wish they would have room service.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Great view of ocean. Access to boardwalk. Room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Young, energetic staff. Good directions to activities. Windows could have been cleaner for better view.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I chose to stay at this Residence Inn during my long weekend in Virginia Beach based on Tripadvisor reviews. I found the hotel to be very clean and pleasant, and I would happily stay there again. My suite cost about $1000 per night less than a room at the Hilton, which is the next hotel up the boardwalk. I can't imagine what would have been that much better. The hotel is pet-friendly and there were several dogs while I was there, but I didn't see/smell any pet stains or residual odors.

There were two things that I didn't like. First, there were a few occasions (2-3) where I had to wait as long as 10 minutes for someone to appear at the front desk. When I had to interact with the staff members they were courteous and helpful, but I'm not sure why there wasn't always someone at the desk. Maybe they scale back on staff during the fall/winter season. Second, while the internet is free, in my room at least it was very unstable, and my connection would frequently drop completely. If I had been paying for it I would have been really upset.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo