“Enjoyed our stay...just some annoying structural issues”

Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Overall my family had a great time during our week at this hotel. The employees, especially Julius, were friendly and attentive. Yes the parking lot is small, but the valet parking attendants were quick. Yes the breakfast area gets a little crowded, but they have a variety of food that the staff is continuously refreshing, and after all, it is free! Yes there are many dogs, but I didn't have a problem with unruly dogs or bad odors. I found the housekeeping to be excellent as well. The location is perfect and the views are wonderful - you can clearly see the dolphin playing in the ocean. The pool was a little small but my kids had a blast in it.
I was just disappointed with the more structural issues of the room. The balcony is TINY. It really is comfortable for one. And the air conditioning vents to the balcony, so in that small space you have loud, super hot air blowing out directly on your face. To have such a great view and not be able to enjoy the balcony was a definite negative. And unfortunately that slider leading to that balcony is the only fresh air you can get. The separate bedroom has a beautiful floor to ceiling window, but it can not be opened. So the room is pretty poorly ventilated. Other than those structural issues, this is the place!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank etcooper

Reviewed 21 August 2011

My husband chose the Residence Inn for our first trip to Virginia Beach because of the full kitchen. That was a good move. We brought tons of snacks, drinks, and lunch foods. Breakfast was provided by the hotel, and although I assumed it was light, continental fare, it was, in fact, a full breakfast with make-you-own waffles, eggs, sausage, potatoes, fruit, yogurt, cereal, and lots of other items. Coffee and tea were available around the clock. I wished there had been a restaurant, but I know that's not how it works with Residence Inn. The view was FABULOUS - floor to ceiling windows, and all suites are oceanfront, so your view is breath-taking no matter where you are in the bedroom or living room. If Virginia Beach wasn't so far from home, I think we'd make this a regular getaway spot!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mbfmom
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Our stay this past week at the Residence Inn at Virginia Beach could not have been more pleasurable. The ENTIRE staff -- from the workers in the Cafe, to the Housekeeping staff, to the Valet Parking staff, to the Front Desk staff (Julius, et al.) -- I cannot sing their praises enough. They were always accommodating; never waited too long when our car was valet parked; our rooms were clean and well-maintained; did not have to wait for elevators -- EVERYTHING was great and we definitely plan to stay here each time we visit Virginia Beach.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Jackson0006
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We received incredible service with a smile from everyone at this hotel! The room was beautiful with the best view of the ocean. The location of this hotel is in a very family-friendly area and I felt very confortable with my teens heading to the beach without me or even across the street to the shops close-by. The breakfast was fantastic, but got crowded at times; however, with our lovely room we could always take the food upstairs. Location and service were the best here... with special thanks to Thomas (valet) and our breakfast workers who were friendly, helpful, and kept the area clean and beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank hockeymom23caps
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My family stayed at the Residence Inn Oceanfront the week of July 18, 2011. We had stayed prior years at the Fairfield, but with 5 adults this year, we needed the extra space. The weather was sweltering, but the hotel and beach were fantastic. From reading past reviews, I knew when we arrived parking would be limited, so was happy to find an open spot when I pulled in. We parked there and never had to use the car again until we left, so did not make use of the valet service. Checkin went well, though we arrived at 12:00 and check-in is only 4:00. We changed into our beach gear, left my cell phone number with the front desk and they promptly called when our room was ready. The room was fantastic, perfect for the 5 adults along. We had an 8th floor room, and the bedroom views are beautiful with the wall of floor to ceiling windows. The kitchen is fully equipped, full size fridge a huge bonus, and the 2 flat screen tv's great! My only disappointments: teeny balcony with a/c vented onto it (the heat was too much to ever enjoy sitting out there), a nd it would have been great to have 2 bathrooms. Another bonus woud be an outdoor pool, but with space so limited along the beach, can understand... I had initially been concerned about it being a "pet friendly" hotel, but that ended up being a non issue. Never heard or smelt any! I can't say enough ow great the front desk staff was, Laura, Mike and a special thanks to Ben. Ben gave us a couple fantastic recommendations for night life hangouts, more local than touristy. He was a great help! The housekeeping staff is also extremely friendly, happy to give you as many towels as needed (and thats sometimes a hassle at other places!), and even if bumping into them in the hallways or elevator, they all asked if there was anything we needed. We would definitely stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank PghBeacher
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My dog, Casper, and I returned to this hotel to celebrate my dog's 15th birthday in May, and unfortunately, his last birthday since he passed away at the end of June. If you love dogs, this is the hotel to stay at, whether you are traveling with a dog or not. My dog was having difficulty walking by his15th birthday, and I brought his stroller with us on this trip. I can easily manuveur the stroller through the hotel, and the staff was very friendly. I like that it is an extended stay hotel where each room comes with a fully equiped kitchen. This is our 3rd time staying at this hotel in the past 1.5 years, and the cleaniness of the room has been consistent - very clean. I perfer the room with the king size bed, because with 1 bed in the sleeping area, there is more room for me to move around. The hotel is very quiet. The only time I hear noise is when a dog is barking on the balcony below, since I was located on a high floor, or a baby crying next door. Other than that, it was very quiet. If you love dogs, this is the hotel to stay at. It's always a joy to ride the elevator or run into a dog. :-)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Marinda0
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed here for Easter weekend 2011. The best thing about it by far is the location, right on the beach. The down sides were parking a few blocks away, the room condition which was somewhat rundown, the lack of professionalism of the staff, and all the dogs. We don't mind dogs, the kids love them, but there were so many we witnessed dogs fighting in the hall, and one dog growling and being aggressive to my 5 year old, which upset her. The staff seems to feel they are at the beach too, so they are casual and aren't concerned with questions or problems. For example, I needed quarters for their washing machine, but they had none at the register. They said they would go somewhere and get some, come back later. After 2 trips back I got some quarters, but then there was no detergent in the vending machine. After they figured out which employee knew where it was, someone went in a back room and hunted for some, which they sold me. They didn't refill the vending machine however. Finally, they were totally unequipped to deal with the number of people at breakfast, which didn't seem to bother the lone staff member who was working in the breakfast area.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family