“Very pleasant and friendly staff”

Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Stayed here for 1 week and we were very pleased with our accommodation.
The only negative feature is limited parking on the premises but there is valet parking available for a parking lot at 35th Street which is less than 3 blocks away.
The location is ideal and close to shopping and golfing. There is a Farm Fresh grocery store on Laskin Road less than half a mile from the hotel and the Lynnhaven mall is 7 miles away with some decent shopping.
Hotel is pet friendly and we were not bothered by pets as the owners took care to ensure they were well behaved and did not disturb anyone.
Complimentary breakfast consisted of a good variety of food and there were 3 evening meals included during our stay on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. The following week it was offered twice a week.
Sink was located outside the toilet area and at night this could be a nuisance for some if woken up by someone using the sink. There is no oven in the kitchen.
The staff were very friendly, pleasant and helpful. Special mention to the housekeepers for a fantastic job despite the time restrictions for cleaning the room. The hotel is well kept and all rooms are oceanfront.
You can go surfing or swimming with the dolphins as they swim in the area and the boardwalk is very lovely.
There is a Dough Boys restaurant across the street with decent food and reasonably priced and several pizza joints in the vicinity.
It is really cool to see the Tomcats flying overhead and you get used to the noise.
Overall was a pleasant stay despite the cool weather.
Would return.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jandahender

Reviewed 9 October 2011

We arrived before irene.
The first room wasn't clean and we were at the 12 th floor.
We asked to go lower the next day, they said yes but after we packted, we learned that is was forthe 11 th floor only. The roomwas clean and larger.
I suggest to rent the one with the Queen instead of one king...even if it suppose to be the same size of room, it doesn't like it.

The breakfeast are really good and the 5 to 7 Monday to Tuesday is nice!
the personnal is just thenbest I seen with the Crystal in treasure Isl.
We have been able to cancel the stay and go west to evacuate!
we came back at the same hotel after the hurricane.
Again, the room was clean, the employees of the hotel knew me by name and the beach was nice for my little kind of 3 years old. Expensive, to munch dogs with my kid allergy
but if you need full kitcheen, probably the best of VB...

Room Tip: Use the outside pool of the Courtyard near by!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Darthfather
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Positives:
The free coffee, in the lobby, is a nice touch and VERY delicious. The free breakfasts and evening activities are also a nice touch, but some of the 'offerings' could stand changing. Staff is polite and pleasant. View, from the rooms, is outstanding. Especially from the bedroom.
This property allows dogs, which is the main reason we stayed there. From what I could tell, the majority of the staff actually LIKES dogs (just because a property allows dogs, it doesn't mean they really WANT dogs).
I was injured, during my stay, and I was able to borrow a wheelchair, that a previous guest had left for the hotel's use. Without it, I would have had to call an ambulance to get me to the Acute Care facility and to a later Doctor's appointment.
One day I was in so much pain, I could not get out of bed. One of the maids offered to help me get anything before she left the room. It was very kind of her.
I've stayed at several hotels, in Virginia Beach, over the years and this one is the quietest one I've been at. Even with the dogs, the room walls are thick enough so that unless there's a LOT of noise in an adjoining room, you do NOT hear your neighbors.

Negatives:
Do not disturb sign or not, maid service was sporadic. Even when we asked for service, we sometimes had to ask twice. Someone in Management apparently took a course and figured out how to pay the Housekeeping staff less without actually cutting their pay. I was told that the staff was limited to ten minutes, to do each room. 30 minutes for a checkout. Since all rooms are suites and many of us had dogs, there is NO way anyone can do a good job in that time. We were also told that the maids had to do a certain number of rooms and then they went home (not all the rooms). Most days all of the maids left by 1 pm. There was NO pm maid service.
The carpet was dirty and stained, when we arrived, and when I contacted the desk about it (as we did not want to be charged for damages that were pre-existing) we were told that the hotel was to be renovated, in October, so things were not kept up. There was mold growing in the rim of the kitchen sink, some of the light switches, and on the safety bar, in the bathroom.
When I made my reservation, I was told that the pet fee was $75.00 and the information package, in the room listed $75.00. When we checked in, I was told that the fee had been raised to $100.00. I asked about the documentation, in the room, and was told that they knew things had to be updated. (The fee wasn't excessive for the amount of time we stayed, I just had a problem with not being told the correct amount, up front.)
I also told the reservations clerk, at the main number and at the hotel, that we had three dogs. I was told that was no problem, since they were small dogs. I was advised that information would be entered into the computer so the hotel would be expecting 3 dogs. When we arrived, the reservations clerk told me that 2 dogs were the limit and there was NO notation, in the computer.
I advised the reservations clerk, when I made the reservation, that I had some mobility issues and that safety bars in the shower and near the toilet would be preferable. I was told the room was equipped with these items. When we checked in, we found a safety bar in the shower, but none near the toilet. This created a problem for me because the floor was sometimes slippery and (for me) a safety hazard.
Parking is at a premium. Even with my Handicapped placard. It is hard for me to walk any distances. We hated to move the car because we seldom found a parking slot, when we returned. There is alternate parking but it's three blocks from the hotel. I couldn't walk it, especially if I was carrying anything. Even my able-bodied husband had problems with the distance if he had to carry things and/or the weather was bad (and it we had heavy, cold rain for several days of our stay). There is 'complimentary' valet parking, but I can't afford to tip valets to drop off or pick up my car two or three times a day.
One day I asked one of the desk personnel about the Adam Thoroughgood house. He replied "Never heard of it". When I showed him a brochure, with a picture of the house, he repeated "Never heard of it.". Not, "Let me see what I can find out." or " Let me ask someone else."
The evening get-togethers were a nice idea, but some more thought should be given to the 'munchies'. The nights we stopped by, most of the items were very spicy and/or greasy.
It's a beautiful hotel but due to the sporadic maid service and parking issues, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they: had dogs; AND needed a full kitchen; AND wanted an ocean front room; AND had NO mobility issues.

Room Tip: Due to the conflicting information that I received, I don't know how to ensure someone would get...
4  Thank Jeanette D
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Headed to Virginia Beach to celebrate a brother-in-law's birthday and it happened to be the last few days of the Neptune Festival. Arrived at 4 and room was ready.

TRAVELING WITH OUR DOG: Check in with golden retriever went smoothly and he especially appreciated the dog treats in the jar at the front desk. Stayed on the 4th floor so exit to walk was quick. Although there were many dogs staying at the hotel - the interior sound proofing works well. The only dog we heard inside was our own greeting us when we arrived home. Outside, during the day, there were a lot of dogs parading the board walk and "greeting" each other - but when our sliders were closed we couldn't hear them. Nice patch of grass in front of the hotel for "walking" and people were very considerate and kept it cleaned up. Unfortunately, on one trip down to the green patch, our golden decided to "water" the artificial plant and we didn't catch him quick enough - we reported it at the front desk on the way out the door and when we returned 15 minutes later, the staff had been there with a shop vac and there was no evidence of doggy's indiscretion. Amazingly the hotel scent carries no evidence of their 4 legged guests. Also - they will give you a hang tag noting that a 4 legged guest is in the room so there is no danger that the staff will enter and allow a pet to escape the room. The $100 non-refundable fee for lodging a pet is well worth it - they keep the place spotless, are very welcoming and accomodating, not just tolerating. We usually have a house/pet sitter at home and this was the first time we'd taken our dog to a hotel with us. I was really apprehensive, but with this experience, would not hesitate to do it again!

THE HOTEL: We had a 2 queen 1 bedroom suite with kitchen that was very comfortable. Porch was big enough for two adults and large dog to sit and watch the boardwalk below and the beach and ocean out front. If you want to entertain or sunbathe on your porch - there were rooms on the second floor that had large porches. Access to the beach was easy from the lobby floor. Pool and exercise room were kind of small - but on a fall weekend, they were vacant. The bedroom had floor to ceiling windows and it was great to laze in bed and watch the volleyball tourney out front (part of the Neptune Festival) getting rolling. The boardwalk was lit all night, but the curtains in both rooms effectively darkened the suite.

The kitchen was well equipt, with a full size microwave, two burner cooktop, full size fridge and dishwasher, and garbage disposal. There were glasses, cups, plates and cutlery for 4. There were some cooking basics like a strainer, mixing bowls, measuring cup, and a few pots and cooking utensils, but if I was staying for a week's vacation and planning to cook in, I would take more pots, serving bowls, etc, and paper plates. Microwave did a great job on popcorn - had good power and rotating base. Table in kitchen seated 4.

Nice desk in the main room and wireless internet was free and easy to access with decent signal. Both rooms had flat screen tvs and cable.

Room and linens were very clean on arrival - no evidence of prior guests, pets, bugs, etc. I was very pleased. Beds were medium - not too hard, not too soft. Sofa in living room opened to double that would accomodate 2 kids or 2 skinny adults.

Didn't do much with the Neptune Festival except watch a great fireworks display Saturday night. There were food vendors, art and what not vendors up and down the boardwalk - it all started at 30th street - a few blocks down the boardwalk. Parking is a challenge in the whole town - the hotel has a small lot with valet parking and they retrieve your car quickly.

Hotel breakfast was free and hot. Not much to say - just free and hot.

Had dinner at Waterman's at 5th and Atlantic Avenues. Great food, outstanding service, right on the boardwalk and you can sit outside if you want/wait. We had a reservation so we had no wait, but the place was crowded. They were kind enough to allow us to bring our brother-in-law's favorite cake - didn't fuss about "outside" food like some places will. Of course, we served it so there weren't any health code issues. It was a bit noisy in the area where we sat - but we contributed to that a bit :)

The next morning, we went to Mary's Diner on 17th street a few blocks out from the boardwalk. Classic diner food and environment - prices were great, good selection, and very very quick service. We had a few people show up late and they helped us pull up a few extra chairs and had their meals out in an instant. The place was packed - but people waiting had a comfy area with menus and a big office type water bottle, with lemon on the side. Guess it gets hot while waiting in the summer.

Next time we go to Va beach - will stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank sandyshoes1313
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed 6 nights from Sept. 18 thru Sept.24. Great location right on the beach and all rooms are oceanfront!. Good free hot breakfast. The indoor pool is a joke, tiny to say the least, but we were coming to swim in the ocean. If pools are more your thing-you will be disappointed with the one here. One of only a few pet friendly hotels on the beach. We had our dog so it was great- if you don't like sharing elevators with dogs you may want to stay somewhere else. Gym needs more equipment i.e. elipticals. Hotel staff at the front desk were great- very courteous.

Room was clean but started to look dirty after a few nights. Room was only vacuumed twice in 6 nights, toilet and sink cleaned only twice. King suite comes with a full kitchen and the countertops and table were never cleaned by the staff. Unaccetable for the cost of the rooms here.

I would stay here again, suggested inprovements would be housekeeping and the hotel should consider in room safes and a retractable clothesline for hanging your wet beach gear,currently you have to dry items on the small balcony.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
4  Thank wilsonberg
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed here for a conference end of July and I was encouraged by all of the reviews. I do agree that the staff was friendly and the location and beach were awesome. However, the housekeeping was terrible. For the first 2 days we received NO service...we had to beg for towels, soap, and to have garbage removed. Even after the supervisor alerted the staff, our service did not improve. The housekeepers did not work with our family's coming and going at all. SO for one week we lived with sandy, sticky floors and piles of dirty towels. What a shame for the money. I did more cleaning than the hotel did. Save your money and stay at a condo.

The most disappointing thing is I have not heard a word back from the manager since I gave them detailed feedback.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank mcpeg64
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed here September 10-17, 2011. In fact, still a guest now as I review this I am so impressed. Booked based on numerous trip advisor reviews and high rating of hotel. 13 stories high, all ocean front rooms. Parking is atrocious, so you are forewarned on this. There is a very tiny lot with the hotel and this fills up FAST. Otherwise you have two options, free valet parking or park yourself in the parking lot about two blocks away. (Which is really not terribly far away at all) My experience has been beach parking is always atrocious and I certainly would not hold this against the hotel, however, feel others should be fully advised of this fact because I can see how this could be upsetting to some. The hotel staff here have got to be the BEST staff trained in customer service since Walt Disney World. I cannot say how helpful, friendly, and what honest to goodness genuine nice people work here. (Especially you Sony, you were a gem every morning to talk to!!!!) They remember your pets name and ALWAYS are attentive to your needs. We had a small plumbing issue and not only was it addressed in record time, they even called about 2 hours later just to make sure it was addressed and we had no further issues. The washer broke one night and the maintenance man discovered this. When we went down to get our clothes, they had restarted the wash in the other machine, told us, and the maintenance man even offered to fold out clothes and bring them up to our room when the dryer was done after we put them in. I have never seen this in my life at any hotel ever! It was simply amazing. Now the rooms are very nice. You enter into a small living room area. There is no oven but a decent sized refridgerator/freezer, microwave, stovetop. (There is NO oven). Dishwasher is also available in addition to a small assortment of utensils/plates/cups/mugs/etc. 4 person kitchen table/chairs. Typical sink. Living room with pull out couch and chair, flat screen tv. Small balcony off living room but enough room for a small table and two of those generic white plastic chairs. (Suitable for relaxing and enjoying the ocean!!!) Yes, you can hear the air conditioner on the balcony but certainly if it is that bothersome, just turn it off while you sit outside. Truly, I didn't notice it that much. Bedroom is in another room with two beds. Bathroom that is large with two sections.....toilet with bathtub and a large closet with iron inside/ironing board. Large sink area. Flat screen tv also in bedroom. Now the best part is the floor to ceiling windows in bedroom! VERY NICE!!!! Now for some real perks. Their breakfast in the am is hot, always changing, and probably one of the biggest I have seen. Belgian waffle maker with multiple toppings, breads/muffins/bagels, scrambled eggs, pancakes, hash browns, potatoes, french toast, canadian sausage, egg mcmuffins, fruit, cereal, yogurts, juices, coffee, oatmeal with multiple toppings, and three kinds of cereal. The hot food rotated just about every day so whereas one day you had hash browns, another you had say potato wedges. One day pancakes and another french toast. On Wednesday night they even had a free BBQ in the hotel. In the evening that night they had pork BBQ, hot dogs, chips, beans, cole slaw, potato salad, multiple sodas, cookies, rice crispy treats, etc. It was so much food, we didn't even go out to dinner that night. It was simply amazing the amount of food they had for free that night and each morning!!! They do have a jacuzzi and a small pool here (both indoor) which were nicely maintained. Small exercise room. Washer/Dryer. Now for the best part for us, pet friendly. If you do not like dogs, you are forewarned to NOT stay here. They are VERY pet friendly and keep treats for you puppy right at the desk! Anywhere people go, puppies can go on this property! This was very nice as our well behaved puppy loved to lounge in the pool area while we swam some days and sat under our table at breakfast in the am. For as many, many dogs as I saw staying here, I can say that except for the occassional puppy barks at each other on the balconies maybe three times total we have been here (Which anyone would expect and was pretty cute!!!), you wouldn't even know this was pet friendly it was so quiet in your room! There is a VERY nice large section of grass right in front of the hotel to walk your puppy too which is nice! Many pets cross pets in the lobby and elevator so I certainly would not bring an aggressive dog here if they were not comfortable with other dogs, but, except for the occassional "bark bark bark I own this place now!!!" occassional confrontations, they do a wonderful job here!! Everyone here was respectful with their puppies and of "puppy space" meaning if we got on the elevator and we stopped on another floor that had a dog that was trying to enter, most people asked if our puppy would be ok if their puppy joined us on the way down/up. Our puppy Charlie made LOTS of friends here and it was good for him to socialize so. The beach is literally steps away from this hotel. Located in a quieter section of the beach which was nice as well!!! Had a very relaxing vacation and I know our Charlie did!!! We will definately be back again in a few years and I would not hesitate to stay here!!! :-) For once, I can truly say this hotel is what I could consider the gold standard for customer service. Whatever they are doing, others should follow their outstanding example!!! :-) For another selling point, Ben and Jerry's ice cream just steps away across the street from this hotel!!! ;-)

Room Tip: Remember the higher the floor is the higher you have to go in the morning to get your furry friend o...
5  Thank superjulesrn