“Friendly Hotel in a Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
California
“Friendly Hotel in a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed several days at this hotel while visiting family in the area. The best thing about this hotel is its location and the large family-style suites. A decent breakfast is provided each morning free of charge. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating during our stay. Once we had to move to a new room due to plumbing issues and the hotel staff immediately helped us with the move. The location is great and all rooms have ocean views and balconies. The balconies are really not functional due to their small size. I was aware that this was a pet-friendly hotel, although we did not have a pet. We did refuse the first room offered to us as it truly smelled of pet urine. So my only caution about this hotel is to be sure that it does not smell like a pet if you find this offensive. Otherwise, the staff, location, and room layouts are great.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 6th floor tend to have less "pet smells."
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick W, Front Office Supervisor at Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thank you for your review. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity. I assure you that we try and make sure that rooms are properly cleaned after every stay. We look forward to your return the next time you visit Virginia Beach! Thank you for choosing Marriott and have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Herndon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have stayed at this Residence Inn many times in the past 5+ years and have written many reviews on this property as well.

LOCATION: The hotel is located on the boardwalk and the beach, next to Neptune Park. Conveniently located to a lot of restaurants. It is also located toward the end of the boardwalk. This part of the boardwalk is much nicer with nicer hotel.

PARKING: Onsite parking is available, but limited. If there is no parking, they have a valet parking service that is free, but I do recommend tipping since the valet guy will drive your car to the parking garage a block away and walk back. I didn't use the valet service during my stay, but I have in the past, and the valet guy was always very polite.

ROOMS: All the rooms in this hotel is oceanfront with balcony. Each room is equipped with a fully functional kitchen - coffee maker, toaster oven, dishwasher, sink, microwave, refrigerator, pots, dishes, utensil, towels, paper towels, and dish detergent for the machine.

BATHROOM: Plenty of bath towels (4 by default), and there are some more in the drawers under the bathroom sink. I like that they started placing extra towels in the drawer. I don't need to bother the maid for extra towels if I don't want my room clean at all during my 3-4 night stay. They offer Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner, and also, they also offers lotion, bath soap and facial soap. The hairdryer is full size, not the tiny little one that hangs on the wall found in most hotels.

BALCONY: The balconies on the 2nd floor are larger to accommodate people with wheelchair, and they have a full size round table and 4 chairs - all plastic and white. The 3rd floor and up have a much smaller balcony that barely fits 2 chairs and a small end table - all plastic and white. The only complain I have is that the patio furniture is always very dirty from being outside. This time, I mentioned to the front desk during check out recommending that they wipe the chairs and table down after check-out. Hopefully, they will take my suggestion and that I'll find the table and chairs somewhat clean to use.

PETFRIENDLY: YES YES YES. This is pretty much the main reason why I seek out Residence Inn to stay at when I plan my trips. Almost all of them are petfriendly. The pet fee at this hotel is $100 per stay. There were many dogs staying at this hotel every time I stayed there. It's nice to see other little 4-legged guests on vacation. Sometimes there would be a 4-legged guest(s) that would barking in their room late at night or in the morning. That can be annoying if it is excessive, but I haven't experienced excessive barking from another room during any of my stay at this hotel.

ROOM LAYOUT: The bedroom has a door that separates the living room/kitchen and the bedroom/bathroom. It has 2 flatscreen TVs - one in the bedroom and one in the living room. Most rooms have a work desk. This time, I stayed in the room for wheelchair and hearing impairing guests, and I noticed that the work table was missing. It wasn't a concern for me since I don't need it, but it would have been nice to have the extra space to put things.

OVERALL experience of this stay:

Of the many times I stayed at the hotel, there was a prior visit where the carpet was stained all over with pet urine and furniture and drapes were marked. It was pretty gross even though the carpet was cleaned. I don't understand those pet owners who would travel with their pets that marks or pee everywhere and don't do anything to prevent urine getting onto the carpet or furniture. Anyway, fortunately, the carpet has been replaced in this hotel, and when I walked into my room, the room smelled very fresh.

This is the first time that I checked out with a list of issues that I found in the room. The issues are tolerable, and I wrote down a list of them, and gave it to the receptionist at the front desk. Hopefully, the repairman and housekeeping will take notes, and ensure this will not happen again.

Some of the issues that I've encountered during my stay included:
- the microwave was not clean
- the utensils had food on them - I had to soak them before I could get the food off them. I recommend always washing the dishes and utensils prior to using them no matter where you go and which hotel you stay at.
- as I mentioned before, the patio furniture was so dirty that I didn't make any attempt to wash them. i didn't use them at all because of it.
- one of the bath towel had dirty (some black particle fell on it), and when the maid came to replace the dirty towel, she either didn't notice or didn't bother replacing this towel. But then, the towel was hanging on the rack. I am surprised she didn't notice it. It was quite obvious.
- there was a stain on the shower curtain and a little hole in its lining.
- the cap on the stopper in the sink came loose.
- during my stay, I caught a child throwing ice cubes over the balcony from the 8th floor, and the ice-cubes landed on my balcony. Fortunately, my dog or I wasn't out there. I did stand outside and waiting for more ice-cube to fall, and when I caught her, she stopped. Then the next morning, I found popcorn and a plastic soda bottle on my balcony (fell from the sky). I also found dog toys - that I think it's cute - on my balcony. They were all returned to their 4-legged owners.

I was really surprised to run into so many issues, but because of my previous visits that were so pleasant, I just provided a list of issues at check-out.

I still highly recommend this hotel. The rate is reasonable and you'll get a suite instead of just a hotel room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Marinda0
Patrick W, Front Office Supervisor at Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, we appreciate that our guest care about our establishment and are willing to take the time to let us know when there is something wrong . Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity. In that regard, I personally appreciate hearing your comments about your stay. We look forward to your return the next time you visit Virginia Beach, Thank you for choosing Residence Inn by Marriott and have a wonderful day!
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My girlfriend and I went to a conference over the weekend and stayed at the Residence Inn Atlantic Ave and it was a great experience. The customer service was great. I would like to thank Patrick and Julius for their great attitude and customer service excellence.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Purpose12
Thank you for your wonderful review. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity. In that regard, I personally appreciate hearing your comments about your stay. We look forward to your return the next time you visit Virginia Beach! Thank you for choosing Marriott and have a wonderful day!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stay at Marriott properties around the nation every week and have done so for years. I have never felt a need to complain until I stayed at this hotel. Here's why:
1. If you stay here and leave something behind in your room, don't expect to ever see it again.
2. If you want to get a call back from housekeeping or the Manager (Julius) to help find the items you left in your room, don't expect a call back for 10 days and until you contact Marriott Headquarters to force them to call you back.
3. If you expect professional courteous service and assistance, don't contact Adriana at the front desk. She went off on me when I simply said I was returning her call. She interrupted me and denied ever calling me, rudely, and abruptly. Why, I don’t know. She was out of line and completely unprofessional.

I'm very disappointed in the experience at this hotel. I already complained to Marriott Customer Service. I am in the process of tracking down the hotel ownership as well, as I believe this is a franchised location, and the ownership needs to know about this experience.

My advice - don't stay here. The staff makes this a bad choice. They took zero accountability for a lost article I left behind in the room, even though they first left me a voicemail within an hour of checkout to tell me the article was left behind, then avoided me for 10 days when I would call back. They later said they did not have it and that Adriana did not call me, even though Marriott HQ even said you could clearly tell her voice matched the voicemail message. Julius and Adriana tried to tell me I was wrong and did not lift a finger to try to figure the situation out or even admit that they lost it. Inexcusable.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Vistor500
Julius P, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
We apologize that you feel the situation was not handled correctly. Thank you for your comments and have a wonderful day!
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed at Va Beach for 3 nights. I can't say enough about the service from the staff at this hotel, especially from the nice young lady who provided breakfast. From Valet parking to the front desk, everything was just as it should be. Very clean facility, and even the other guests were polite and friendly. Parking is limited, but they guarantee you a spot. Sorry we had to come home so soon. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Don1900
Patrick W, Front Office Supervisor at Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank You so much for your comments, we are always happy to please our guest. We hope that in the future you will continue to make our property your home away from home. Thank You for choosing marriott
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed in Virginia Beach for the first time last week. Picked the hotel as they appeared to be very dog friendly and they were! Service was great - friendly, Patrick was excellent - all was extra special, from the front desk, to the wonderful maid and the valet parking. Very clean hotel. Value was also very good - the location was perfect right on the beautiful beach.

Cindy

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and all was very good.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cynthia C
Patrick W, Front Office Supervisor at Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank You so much for your wonderful comments, I am so glad that we were able to meet your standards. We hope that in the future you will continue to make our property your home away from home. Thank You for choosing marriott
Ijamsville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

This oceanfront hotel is very well kept and convenient if you like to walk. We walked to many different excellent restaurants for lunch and/or dinner. Rooms were clean and spacious. Staff was very nice as well.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Nancy D
Thank You so much for your comments, I am so glad that we were able to meet your standards. We hope that in the future you will continue to make our property your home away from home. Thank You for choosing marriott