“Enjoyed our stay”

Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Glad we decided to go off season because it must be crazy on season. So many hotels - so many people. Great place for people watching. Hotel right on the 3 mi boardwalk.Great for walking. Could see jumping dolphins, fighter jets flying by practicing all day long ( except wkends). Although pets are allowed - they weren't a problem. No sign they had ever been in our room. No confrontations in the lobby.Upon check in didn't like room on 4th floor ( a little too visable from the boardwalk) and was given choice of many other floors - took 10th.
Mattresses a little soft. Would have liked dishwashing soap - ended up using shampoo as we were only there 2 nights & wasn't going to buy/waste a bottle. Would have liked to open a bedroom window - but there weren't any - I think the solid windows might be hurricane protection. Breakfast was good although coffee was too weak for our liking. Had no problem getting parking in small lot out front.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank motherbored5
jerry90, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2008

Thank you so much for your kind response.
We truly value and appreciate your feedback. It is our goal at the Residence Inn to provide each and everyone of our guests with a clean and comfortable room and of course the best possible customer service we can provide. Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Jason Christie

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed 22 September 2008

My husband and I and our 2 yr. old golden retriever stayed here for 4 days. This was our first time at Virginia Beach. The location was great and the front desk service was Wonderful! The room was spacious with a full kitchen, living room area, bedroom and bath. The balcony is a plus but would be better if it was larger. The air-conditioner noise on the balcony was annoying. But we were lucky while we stayed there the high temperature was 80 degrees and the air conditioner did not have to run that often! The suite was very clean and even though people were in the room above us...you never knew...the rooms are well insulated! The breakfast buffet was sufficient. It would be nice to have regular silverware and dishes rather than plastic! The kitchen staff aimed to please and they were always ready to re-fill the buffet items! We will return and we will suggest this place to our friends! They know the meaning of Great Customer Service!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank meg3046
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We stayed here Labor Day week and absolutely loved this hotel. It was close enough to the beach that running up and down from the beach to the hotel was not an issue (especially with 2 small children). We did see the dolphins every morning we were there but you really do have to be paying attention. We just happened to see them from our room 2 days and the other days we heard people on the beach say something. They move quickly down through though. The breakfast and the social hours rock!! The weekly BBQ was great as well. Everyone was super nice and super helpful.

The parking lot in the front is very very small but we didnt have a problem since we found a spot when we checked in and never moved our car the rest of the time. They do have valet though so Im assuming if you dont find a spot in the front lot, its not like you have to really do a whole lot of work to get your car parked????!!

The room was awesome with the kitchen and the seperate bedroom. The window in the bedrooms make the entire stay. They are just awesome to lay on the bed and look out of. The vent on the balcony is a pain but most of the time we didnt even go out there. We preferred to just lay on the bed and watch everything.

Anyways we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Allgirls4me
Reviewed 31 August 2008

First, about the hotel...
Pros:
- It's just off the beach (on Atlantic Avenue); you are literally 50 steps from being on the beach, so that's very nice. We had an oceanfront room and that was AWESOME! Got to see the sunrise and the beach all day long right out our window. Running up to the room, or into the hotel for any reason, while we were on the beach was NO PROBLEM..
BUT...My wife read lots of reviews which stated "We could see the dolphins!" We saw them, but they were way out and it wasn't until our last day (of 4) that we actually saw them...so swimming w/ dolphins in the water in front of the Residence Inn? Not us.
- The breakfast was - as at most Residence Inns - very good, ample and FREE! This is always a nice little plus of staying at this chain.
- The separate room (from the bedroom) w/ TV, couch, tables, chairs, kitchenette, etc. is certainly nice, no doubt about it.
- Everything really is w/in walking distance, or a short ride on the local shuttle (VB Wave, see below)...that made this location - like many other along Atlantic Ave. - very nice.
- Plus, they allow pets (for a $75 fee), which for us was a requirement. We were told beforehand we could NOT take our dog out onto the boardwalk / bike path / grassy area between the hotel and the beach, but I walked my dog there throughout our stay - even took her on the beach one night - without a problem.

Cons:
- Parking; we certainly read about how hard it is to find parking. We saw that to be the case, but in truth, we parked our car upon arrival and didn't use it again until we left...see below on the VB Wave Shuttle busses. In any event, it's a VERY SMALL parking lot in front of the hotel and extra parking is two blocks away.
- Balcony; we had a TINY balcony onto which the exhaust from the A/C unit blew. NOT at all enjoyable. It was less of a hassle to look onto the beach from w/in our room, behind the windows, but that took something away from it, you know?
- The room was small; the note (pro) above about having a separate room is nice, but altogether, for the price ($312/night), the room was definitely small and I felt cramped the entire time we were there...they could've knocked down the wall separating the two rooms, opening it up a little more to make it at least SEEM larger, but I understand the wall's there for privacy sake if parents bring kids or there are two couples staying in the room...but God help any couple trying to sleep on the tiny couchbed.
- Va Beach truly caters to every slice of life, like many beach communities. So just prepared to see all socio-economic strata represented, in all their glory.
- Lastly, at the end of our stay (after checking out), I had to go back and get something from the room and the OWNER (who was sitting at the front desk), jokingly told me I'd have to pay another night's charge just to get back in my room and get my stuff....NOT funny, not after what we paid for 4 nights.

OK, other things about Va Beach...
Restaurants where we ate:
1. Waterman's - very good seafood, good crab nachos (VERY GOOD), and good She-Crab soup. This place is just off the beach, so you can people watch while you eat if you sit outside - highly recommended for lunch or even dinner...prepare for a wait.
2. Surfrider - a friend raved about this place, but we found it totally lacking...it's inexpensive so if you want to keep w/in a budget, it's certainly fine food, but NOTHING worth raving about, imho.
3. Catch 31 - high-priced, trendy, hip joint that's a club / bar / restaurant. The food was good - good calamari, good clam chowder, good fresh fish dishes. It is expensive, though. If you're one of the beautiful people, definitely come here for the night life. I am not one of those people.

Transportation:
VB Wave - this is the shuttle that runs all up and down Atlantic Avenue; it costs $1/ride and it is great! On several occassions, the bus drivers stopped in the middle of the block (not near a scheduled stop) to either pick us up or drop us off. They are extremely courteous and just plain nice. Like I wrote above, we didn't even use our car once we parked at the hotel and the shuttle was the reason why. Google Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) & Look for the Va Beach Wave - there are a couple numbered runs (the 30 & the 31, I think), but I never figured out the difference and even if you get on the wrong one, they'll stop wherever you want.

Shopping - My wife dragged me up and down Atlantic to go into 63 million (I counted) little shops, one just like the rest, looking for beach umbrellas, Christmas ornaments and other tourist crap...Aye Carumba, if you've seen one of the chains, you've seen them all.

Lastly, one little piddly thing: when I called the reservation line to book a room, the woman was a complete and total idiot. I'm sorry, I don't want to be mean, but she kept getting the arrival dates, number of nights, check-out date, my name, credit card number, etc., WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm a Marriott Rewards member and I called their special little line, but this woman was just inept. So, maybe find another way to book.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 9 July 2008

We are currently staying at the Residence Inn. We thought that the convenience of having a full kitchen would be great with a six month old. We were not aware that pets were allowed in every room... and yes there are big dogs in the hall and all over the place. My four year old nephew woke up this morning itching and covered in dog hair. We spoke to the front desk, but the response was "I can't do anything about this right now. I will call you back". It's been over an 1.5 hours and no word yet. This was after they had to put us on two different floors, because one of the rooms originally assigned to us had an "odor issue". The in-room coffee machine is FILTHY and we had to ask for new towels, because the original towels did not look like they were changed. I must admit that I am disappointed after reading all of the positive reviews on this site. On the bright side, this morning's breakfast was good.

M. R.
Va and NC

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank MR_Likes_Travel
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I echo everyone else's review of the Residence Inn in Virginia Beach.

Rooms: Stayed with my family of five and had no problem with space. The king bed was big enough for my wife, me, and my three year old. My two girls (6 and 9) slept on the pull out sofa. Full kitchen with full size frig, two burners (no oven), dishwasher, cabinets, sink, and plates/silverware. Bathroom was big enough for everyone. The best part is the floor to ceiling window that looks out onto the ocean. We saw dolphins swimming by several times during our stay. As mentioned, the AC vent does blow out into the balcony, so you are not able to stay out very long.

Property: Indoor pool (heated) and hot tub. The pool was kind of on the small side, but the kids loved it. Exercise room which which is right next to the pool (windows look into the pool). Just a few shorts steps to the beach. Was very nice to have a short walk to the hotel after a day at the beach.

Food: Breakfast was awesome. Had waffles (make yourself), sausage, bacon, pancakes, scrambled eggs, biscuits and eggs patties (you could make your own sandwich), breads, doughnuts, fruit, drinks. The breakfast staff did a wonderful job keeping the bar refreshed. The breakfast area is a little small, but we were able to find a table every day (just be patient). Also, two nights they had dinner. One night was chicken nuggets with chips and the other was hot dogs and BBQ pork. They did serve dinner a third night, but it was just light food (cheese, crackers). This is a great money saver if you can take advantage of it. We only had to eat out three nights during our eight night stay.

Area: Tons of stuff to do. A short two block walk to the Hilton where they have a band every night. One night they even had an outdoor movie (Waterhorse). Lots of little shops and restaurants nearby. Try Pizzeria if you can (good pizza). Also make sure you rent a bike and ride down the boardwalk. Grocery store a short drive away.

I have stayed at a lot of nice Marriott properties and this ranks right up there with the best of them. You will not be dissappointed!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank grensi
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I have never written a review on a hotel before. I just feel like other families with young children should be aware of how Marriott and their employees treat their guest.
My daughter tripped on a large puddle of water by the exit door, and had to get stitches. She also had a very large black eye for almost two weeks. We contacted the front desk immediaty, mainly because we didn't know where to take our daughter for treatment. When we arrived back at the hotel, the very same front desk employees, didn't even ask about how she was! I couldn't beleive it! When we arrived back home, I wrote an e-mail to Marriott, requesting mats be put in the pool area for children's safety. The manager of the hotel, Jason Christie, wrote an e-mail to me, basically telling us that if you don't watch your children closely, these things can happen! I was right next to my daughter! Also, he scolded me for not bringing the accident to managements attention. Are you kidding??!! Why wouldn't his own employees let him know what happened? We informed them right away!! He was totally careless as to what happened with my duaghter. Our vacation was basically ruined. My daugher couldn't get into the water, nor would she go near the pool area again.
I just feel that Marriott really doesn't care at all about their guest!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family