“One month of excellence”

Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 12 November 2008

I have just completed a 1 month stay.

I would endorse all that has been said in the previous few reviews.

Excellent , 4.99999999 star.

I have only 2 points, that, if corrected, would have made the stay 5 star:

1. It would be nice to have regular silverware and dishes rather than plastic at the breakfast buffet. It seems that plasticware is standard in many/most non 5 star establishments in the US. When I asked staff they were able provide regular silverware and dishes but unless you asked each day plasticware was the only choice offered.
2 Real freshly cracked eggs, fried, poached and scrambled rather than packet/premix egg patties and scrambled eggs would have been glorious.

(There was a 3rd point but its cultural and therefore its probably unfair to inflict my preference for a real breakfast sausage rather than a sausage patty upon my hosts. I will just retreat to my room and secretly cook real sausages and eggs keeping that breakfast pleasure to myself while muttering under my breath about the colonials lack of true sausages )

Excellent stay

Thanks to all the staff

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed 23 October 2008

We enjoyed our 3-night stay at this hotel. All rooms are oceanfront suites - real suites with a separate room for the bedroom (you can close the door, which keeps the place quiet for sleeping - no hallway noise). The kitchen is very nice. It had a stovetop, but no oven (we didn't need one anyway). We brought our dog - $75 pet fee. The hotel is very dog friendly. There is grass right behind the hotel where your dog can do its business. Our request for a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevators was happily accomodated by the hotel upon check-in. Very good breakfast buffet in the morning, which is included in the room rate. The location of the hotel is ideal - in a newly developed area near Neptune Park - lots of action.

Here are the few cons of the hotel and the reason why I didn't give this hotel the highest rating:

1. When you go on the balcony, if the AC is running inside, the ventilator noisily spews out hot air directly onto you. This is a bit of a design flaw and detracted from our enjoyment of the balcony (which is pretty small, by the way).

2. Housekeeping was kind of weird about service - even if we had the do not disturb sign on the door, they would still knock and say they wanted to clean.

3. Parking in the hotel lot is extremely limited. Yes, they have complimentary valet, but the lot that they take your car to is not the most secure location, especially at night. If there were no spaces at the hotel, we preferred to self-park at the designated valet lot, as we wanted to make sure we were parked under a light for safety reasons.

4. It would be nice if we could open the windows in the bedroom to get some fresh air and hear the ocean. Another design flaw.

Despite the cons, we still enjoyed this hotel and intend on returning next summer.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lawahoo2001
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Excellent hotel! The staff could not have been more accommodating. Our room was spacious and spotless. The location was perfect. Waterfront Virginia Beach but on the quieter end of the boardwalk.
5 star rating for this hotel and staff.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
jerry90, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2008

Thank you so much for your kind words about the Residence Inn by Marriott. It is a great feeling to hear when a guest has a terrific stay at our hotel. Our goal is to impress all that come into our oceanfront hotel. We take guest comments very seriously because it's people such as yourself that make the difference. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to servicing you in the future.

Kind Regards,

Jason Christie

Reviewed 9 October 2008

Glad we decided to go off season because it must be crazy on season. So many hotels - so many people. Great place for people watching. Hotel right on the 3 mi boardwalk.Great for walking. Could see jumping dolphins, fighter jets flying by practicing all day long ( except wkends). Although pets are allowed - they weren't a problem. No sign they had ever been in our room. No confrontations in the lobby.Upon check in didn't like room on 4th floor ( a little too visable from the boardwalk) and was given choice of many other floors - took 10th.
Mattresses a little soft. Would have liked dishwashing soap - ended up using shampoo as we were only there 2 nights & wasn't going to buy/waste a bottle. Would have liked to open a bedroom window - but there weren't any - I think the solid windows might be hurricane protection. Breakfast was good although coffee was too weak for our liking. Had no problem getting parking in small lot out front.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank motherbored5

Thank you so much for your kind response.
We truly value and appreciate your feedback. It is our goal at the Residence Inn to provide each and everyone of our guests with a clean and comfortable room and of course the best possible customer service we can provide. Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Jason Christie

Reviewed 22 September 2008

My husband and I and our 2 yr. old golden retriever stayed here for 4 days. This was our first time at Virginia Beach. The location was great and the front desk service was Wonderful! The room was spacious with a full kitchen, living room area, bedroom and bath. The balcony is a plus but would be better if it was larger. The air-conditioner noise on the balcony was annoying. But we were lucky while we stayed there the high temperature was 80 degrees and the air conditioner did not have to run that often! The suite was very clean and even though people were in the room above us...you never knew...the rooms are well insulated! The breakfast buffet was sufficient. It would be nice to have regular silverware and dishes rather than plastic! The kitchen staff aimed to please and they were always ready to re-fill the buffet items! We will return and we will suggest this place to our friends! They know the meaning of Great Customer Service!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank meg3046
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We stayed here Labor Day week and absolutely loved this hotel. It was close enough to the beach that running up and down from the beach to the hotel was not an issue (especially with 2 small children). We did see the dolphins every morning we were there but you really do have to be paying attention. We just happened to see them from our room 2 days and the other days we heard people on the beach say something. They move quickly down through though. The breakfast and the social hours rock!! The weekly BBQ was great as well. Everyone was super nice and super helpful.

The parking lot in the front is very very small but we didnt have a problem since we found a spot when we checked in and never moved our car the rest of the time. They do have valet though so Im assuming if you dont find a spot in the front lot, its not like you have to really do a whole lot of work to get your car parked????!!

The room was awesome with the kitchen and the seperate bedroom. The window in the bedrooms make the entire stay. They are just awesome to lay on the bed and look out of. The vent on the balcony is a pain but most of the time we didnt even go out there. We preferred to just lay on the bed and watch everything.

Anyways we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Allgirls4me
Reviewed 31 August 2008

First, about the hotel...
Pros:
- It's just off the beach (on Atlantic Avenue); you are literally 50 steps from being on the beach, so that's very nice. We had an oceanfront room and that was AWESOME! Got to see the sunrise and the beach all day long right out our window. Running up to the room, or into the hotel for any reason, while we were on the beach was NO PROBLEM..
BUT...My wife read lots of reviews which stated "We could see the dolphins!" We saw them, but they were way out and it wasn't until our last day (of 4) that we actually saw them...so swimming w/ dolphins in the water in front of the Residence Inn? Not us.
- The breakfast was - as at most Residence Inns - very good, ample and FREE! This is always a nice little plus of staying at this chain.
- The separate room (from the bedroom) w/ TV, couch, tables, chairs, kitchenette, etc. is certainly nice, no doubt about it.
- Everything really is w/in walking distance, or a short ride on the local shuttle (VB Wave, see below)...that made this location - like many other along Atlantic Ave. - very nice.
- Plus, they allow pets (for a $75 fee), which for us was a requirement. We were told beforehand we could NOT take our dog out onto the boardwalk / bike path / grassy area between the hotel and the beach, but I walked my dog there throughout our stay - even took her on the beach one night - without a problem.

Cons:
- Parking; we certainly read about how hard it is to find parking. We saw that to be the case, but in truth, we parked our car upon arrival and didn't use it again until we left...see below on the VB Wave Shuttle busses. In any event, it's a VERY SMALL parking lot in front of the hotel and extra parking is two blocks away.
- Balcony; we had a TINY balcony onto which the exhaust from the A/C unit blew. NOT at all enjoyable. It was less of a hassle to look onto the beach from w/in our room, behind the windows, but that took something away from it, you know?
- The room was small; the note (pro) above about having a separate room is nice, but altogether, for the price ($312/night), the room was definitely small and I felt cramped the entire time we were there...they could've knocked down the wall separating the two rooms, opening it up a little more to make it at least SEEM larger, but I understand the wall's there for privacy sake if parents bring kids or there are two couples staying in the room...but God help any couple trying to sleep on the tiny couchbed.
- Va Beach truly caters to every slice of life, like many beach communities. So just prepared to see all socio-economic strata represented, in all their glory.
- Lastly, at the end of our stay (after checking out), I had to go back and get something from the room and the OWNER (who was sitting at the front desk), jokingly told me I'd have to pay another night's charge just to get back in my room and get my stuff....NOT funny, not after what we paid for 4 nights.

OK, other things about Va Beach...
Restaurants where we ate:
1. Waterman's - very good seafood, good crab nachos (VERY GOOD), and good She-Crab soup. This place is just off the beach, so you can people watch while you eat if you sit outside - highly recommended for lunch or even dinner...prepare for a wait.
2. Surfrider - a friend raved about this place, but we found it totally lacking...it's inexpensive so if you want to keep w/in a budget, it's certainly fine food, but NOTHING worth raving about, imho.
3. Catch 31 - high-priced, trendy, hip joint that's a club / bar / restaurant. The food was good - good calamari, good clam chowder, good fresh fish dishes. It is expensive, though. If you're one of the beautiful people, definitely come here for the night life. I am not one of those people.

Transportation:
VB Wave - this is the shuttle that runs all up and down Atlantic Avenue; it costs $1/ride and it is great! On several occassions, the bus drivers stopped in the middle of the block (not near a scheduled stop) to either pick us up or drop us off. They are extremely courteous and just plain nice. Like I wrote above, we didn't even use our car once we parked at the hotel and the shuttle was the reason why. Google Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) & Look for the Va Beach Wave - there are a couple numbered runs (the 30 & the 31, I think), but I never figured out the difference and even if you get on the wrong one, they'll stop wherever you want.

Shopping - My wife dragged me up and down Atlantic to go into 63 million (I counted) little shops, one just like the rest, looking for beach umbrellas, Christmas ornaments and other tourist crap...Aye Carumba, if you've seen one of the chains, you've seen them all.

Lastly, one little piddly thing: when I called the reservation line to book a room, the woman was a complete and total idiot. I'm sorry, I don't want to be mean, but she kept getting the arrival dates, number of nights, check-out date, my name, credit card number, etc., WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm a Marriott Rewards member and I called their special little line, but this woman was just inept. So, maybe find another way to book.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple