“Looking forward to my next visit here”
Review of Four Sails Resort

Four Sails Resort
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Looking forward to my next visit here”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I would highly recommend staying at Four Sails. The staff is extrememly helpful and friendly and always willing to help. It is convenient to lots of restaurants and shopping and not far from the Neptune statue. Having a separate bedroom from the living room is definitely a plus and there is a very nice kitchen also. It's very enjoyable to sit on the balcony and enjoy the beach activity (and, see the dolphins when they happen to stop by, which they did on our stay). I have been visiting the beach for many years and stayed in lots of places, and this is definitely my favorite. It really makes you feel at home. The restaurant is not top of the line but the food is good and it's great to have a restaurant where you are staying. Very pleasant staff in the restaurant also. Would have enjoyed sitting outside but the weather was not suitable on this stay. With today's technology, it would be nice to have WiFi availiable in each room. I would also recommend that the larger vehicles (large SUV's and big trucks) park on the top level as it is very difficult to maneuver the ground level trying to get out of the parking lot. All in all, staying at Four Sails is a wonderful experience and I plan to stay on my future visits to the beach.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pat B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Manassas
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This was our fist time at Four Sails. First off we would like to thank Four Sails for calling us on Sunday to let us know that our stay was still on after Hurricane Irene had come ashore. We had enough room for 2 adults and 2 kids. We especially enjoyed having a full kitchen. We were able to prepare some meals and save a little cash which is always nice when on vacation. The kids and I really enjoyed having bikes for use. We would also like to thank the front desk for letting us check in a half hour early. Even though there was only one elevator we were able to get to and from rather quickly. The only thing we would have liked would be Wi-fi. We had a device that is not equipped to use Ethernet cables, but I spoke with someone at the front desk upon leaving and told that it may be in the works. Thanks for a great stay!!

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor, which had and awesome view and also had a sun deck right outside our room...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rest423
North Carolina
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Because of the economy our yearly vacation was almost derailed. However, Full Sail gave us an afforable option compared to our usally Hilton on 31st or Hampton stay each year. We were thankful for the reviews posted here on trip advisor which were VERY much on point. Because of that, I am posting a review since I find this site to be close to accurate on many of my stays.

This older condo building was very afforable and very clean. We read about the great front desk staff but only found that to be somewhat inconsistent. On check-in and on check out this slim brunette at the desk had absolutely no personality even with us trying to kill her with kindness each time. She never looked at us. She really needs to stay in the back somewhere and not deal with the public. The reservationist when we booked was FABULOUS...as well as both guys we dealt with during checking in. Because Irene was headed that direction we had to truncate our vacation by 3 days and they were very accommodating. While our other relatives in the Hilton, did not get the same consideration and ended up riding out the storm. The other lady at the desk during check out that day August 27 was much better to work with, she was extremely pleasant and I wish we could have dealt with her alone. The slim chick left a very bad impression with both experiences.

Now here is the great: free bicycles, extra clean rooms, boogie boards, sand toys all ocean front living rooms (not bedrooms), fully equip kitchens, DVD player and wonderful flat screens TVs, jacuzzi (huge), and linen.

Now the good: Free Internet but bring your cable as they are not WiFi, restaurant, indoor pool, laundry room, sauna, near Neptune statue and a good amphitheater. Wonderful room attendances (each one was NICE).

Now the not so good: Faint old cigarette smell, 3rd floor (where we stayed) had a fresh sea odor (but room smelled fresh other than faint cigarette smell). Tiny bathroom, weird placement of some light switches, air units never seemed to cool enough (even on high)refrig in our room never seemed to chill well. Small bedroom (husband got out of bed and bumped right into closet door), no luggage stand (that would be very helpful), aweful bedroom view of decks if you are on lower floors (saw a resident take a whiz in the parking deck our first day there). Restaurant lunch was just OK, but glad we had one in the building that was convienent.

Now the really bad: The parking is HORRIBLE!!! Drive a mini cooper and you will do just fine. Some people parked crazy and so we had a hard time parking or finding a space to fit in when we got in late. Going to the 3rd floor is treacheous, very very narrow ramp. But there were vans parked on each floor (so its managable for somebody, just not us), one elevator that we could never get on unless we waited like 5-8 mins for each time. Lucky we were on a lower floor and could walk up. Also, while waiting on the 1st floor there was no ventilation, it was sweltering while waiting. Saw a fan there, but it was not working. The bed sleeps like a ROCK......OMG, we could not sleep well at all and it is more like a full size not a queen. We have a full, queen and king in our house and I can certainly tell you that we were NOT in a queen!

All in all, I would return to this resort if the economy does not turn around and we need a vacation on a serious budget. Otherwise, I will go back to the Hampton as my low budget option. We LOVE Va Beach and this is our 4th year return. This condo building is clean, and they have really nice staff (except for that thin brunette). The residents that were there were friendly and helpful....it is very family oriented (we went as a couple).

If Irene had not come through, we would still be there, watching the waves.

Room Tip: Wish they had Kings...queen beds feel more like full
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NCVABeachlover N
pa.
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We own at this resort ,and I have definitely stayed at some crummy resorts which are right on the beach,however,that being said, This resort is not crummy,but definitely needs some updating,and could use some better cleaning and sprucing up. We noticed a lot of hair and dirt in the corners of the rooms of the suite ,and some rickety sliding doors to the deck ,etc.,perhaps the cleaning just isn't up to what I think it should be, perhaps I'm spoiled from staying at Wyndhams which always seem pretty spotless and very well kept .The indoor pool area is hot and depressingly dingy,the same rusted ceiling fans we've seen for years.I don't want to nitpick on every little thing, the service and friendliness is top notch ,and I would'nt recommend against staying here, I just think they need to spend a little more to bring the rooms up to date,and pay a little more attention to cleaning detail.Only 1 elevator which is out of service on and off which is a real hassle sometimes also.All in all you could do better,but you could definitely do worse .If you stay here I think you will have an overall enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank deanroc
NYC Suburbs
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We drove to VA Beach without making a reservation - it was still pre-season, mid-May. Rates were under $100/night mid-week, went up on the Friday night we stayed. Hotel is oceanfront, right on the boardwalk, just a few blocks from the Neptune statue. The suite was absolutely gorgeous! Kitchenette stocked with any appliances you would need, all cleaned & sanitized, a jacuzzi was heavenly, and both the bedroom and living area were roomy, with plenty of storage space. This is a timeshare property, but no one pressured us or anything. Never even got an email or call afterwards, which I was sure I'd get. They do have a parking garage, but it is extremely tight and often filled up. Another drawback is that there is only 1 elevator for the entire place - and it's at least 12 floors I think. That was a big problem for us, since we were on the 10th floor and one of us is mobility-challenged. Even pre-season as it was, most stores & restaurants were open for business. Don't bother with the candy stores, however - everything was extremely stale - leftover from the previous season no doubt. We had a great time and look forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Katebar
Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I researched many hotels and resorts in the Virginia Beach area. I took the advise of many on trip advisor and stayed at the Four Sails Resort. I was not disappointed. The resort does need some updating, and another elevator would be nice, but overall we were pleased with the room and the location. Overall the staff was very pleasant. We would definitely recommend the Four Sails Resort for a great family vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kim s
Richmond VA
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We've stayed at the Four Sails, two of the last three years. We have three little ones (4, 2 and 2). We stayed in a one bedroom. It was surprisingly manageable. The location of the resort is fantastic. On the high end of the beach away from the seeder hotels. Sadly, I remember when this resort was built and was the tallest building on the Boardwalk. Now it is dwarfed by nearby buildings. Biggest drawbacks are the single elevator (you can sit for a while waiting on it) and the indoor pool. I am sure the indoor pool is nice off season, but it isn't very enjoyable during the summer. However, the onsite restaurant is reasonable and has above-average food. You have an excellent view of the beach and boardwalk. You are close to great restaurants and shopping. You are a hop, skip and a jump from King Neptune's Festival Park with all the music and new retail. The owners are desperately trying to renovate and keep it up but they are just doing interior cosmetic changes. The owners need to bite the bullet and partner with a developer to do whole scale renovations such as going further up and adding a large number of 2 and 3 bedroom units as well as an outdoor pool. There is only so much they can do with the existing structure. However, it is excellently run and the service is great. Very clean. Everything was working well and well maitained within our unit. Our kids loved the beach and enjoyed watching DVDs on the large flat screen a couple of nights. We also managed to cook a couple of meals in the unit and save some money. Very hard to beat for the money and the location.

Room Tip: Book early and ask to be above the third floor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family