“1st Anniversary”
Review of Four Sails Resort

Four Sails Resort
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I searched until I found a suitable inexpensive oceanfront hotel with a private balcony and a full kitchen, I finally came across Four Sailss it seemed to meet all my needs, I read all the reviews. When I got to the Hotel I was not impressed with the lobby area, but hoped that the rooms would make up for it, When I got to the room, I thought oh my goodness this is small like the reviews stated, but after being there a while it was okay for just my husband and myself, but please don't take anyone else, they said accomodations for four, but not true, even though it had a pull out sofa, four people would be tripping all over each other , other then that, the furniture needs updating but I could live with that, the room was clean and the staff was really nice , the elevator was a little slow at times and the parking was not for big vehicles vry tight parking. After my stay I was very pleased with the cost,for 3 nights, so if your looking for inexpensive and nice then try Four Sails, just for a few days. Oh yeah we love the whirlpool.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sept22nd

Reviewed 31 August 2008

After much research I decided to book a 3-night stay at the Four Sails. I was quoted the rate of $129 for the 1BR suite - but the price was in the end $116 (there is a 10% off coupon on the Four Sails website - and I actually forgot to bring it and they still honored the price!).

My wife and I brought our 3 small children, and although the rooms are not overly large, we pulled it off. The AC did leave a bad smell in the bedroom, but overall, the room was generally clean. We thought it was nice that the kitchen utensils were all wrapped - you don't usually find that with kitchen efficiencies. Of course we didn't use the kitchen utensils anyway since we are kosher, but it was a sign of cleanliness.

We were very pleased with the friendliness of all the desk staff, the lady that cleaned our room and even the woman working in the independently-owned restaurant downstairs.

As for some of the other comments posted -
The garage is very small, it is true, but it's not that big a deal - if you are a decent driver you can easily navigate it.
Not sure what they were talking about with the elevator - the elevator was in fact very fast.

The pool is indoors and we used it quite a bit - although other guests did not (which was a plus to me).

Bottom line - adequate accommodations at a very good price.

1  Thank TripleLindy
Reviewed 29 August 2008

The Four Sails reviews put it at ranked 4 out of the many hotels/condos on Virginia Beach. While it was very nice, it was old and in need of updating. The rooms were smaller than we'd expected, but we had enough room for my husband, myself, and my mother. The jacuzzi jets weren't very powerful & the shower sprayed into the window, but other than that, everything seemed in order. With the sink for the bath being outside the bathroom, that helped with preparation time when we were getting ready. It was nice to have 2 balconies and a full kitchen. They even had dishwashing soap there to use, so we were able to cut eating expenses a bit by eating in a few times. There was no coffee in the room, however, so if you go, you may want to take your own or buy some once you get there. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had access to free bicylcles, and they even had free chairs we used for the beach. We enjoyed the outside restaurant for breakfast the first morning we were there.

Reviewed 18 August 2008

My family of four stayed here the second week in August. The location is fabulous! We were right near everything, including fireworks and live bands. I can't say enough about the prime spot.

The rooms are very small. It was quite hard to squeeze four people in this place. The rooms were clean and somewhat up-to-date. The garage is crazy. If you do not get parking on the bottom floor, go straight up to the third floor, skipping the second. There is an indoor pool, which is nice when it rains. The staff was very nice and helpful.

Virginia beach is awesome. Try Pocahantas Pancakes for breakfast and Rudee's on the inlet for lunch or dinner. Stay away from Pi Pizza if you are from Philly or New York, it's like cardboard with sauce on it.

1  Thank JenandDennis
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Stayed a week in August at Four Sails. Room was a little small, the bedroom was fine for husb and wife, we had 2 teen boys in the living room. One slept on the sofa's queensize hidaway. The other slept on a rollaway cot. We had to completely reconfigure the furniture and put some chairs out on the balcony to make it work but it was fine even in close quarters. Kitchen was OK, had everything we needed.
I have to say the A/C was superb, I love a cold hotel room and we were quite comfortable even tho the temps rose above 95 a few days. Balcony had two sliding doors, one for the br and one for the living rm so it was great.
The oceanfront view was wonderful, lots of people watching. Huge jacuzzi tub and shower nice and roomy, good water pressure. The sinks had very low water pressure, however. Didn't like that. Decor was somewhat outdated, could use some new bedspreads and carpet. Bed was comfortable but sheets kept slipping off mattress. Lots of mirrors in this room if you like that. Entire wall of living room was a huge mirror. Made room look bigger. Sliding closet doors in br were mirror doors as well.
Indoor pool was like a bathtub, we used it a few times. Our room was on the 7th fl. and the hallway overlooked the pool, it was cool to look down and see all the people swimming. Only thing is the hallway was very humid and smelled like chlorine due to the pool.
Like everyone else said in their reviews--SLOWWW elevator but we learned to deal with it. Parking was fine, never had trouble finding a spot.
A word about the wireless internet- we had trouble-free use for the first 2 days then it stopped working. An inquiry at the desk revealed a "hacker" had gotten into the server and in order to resume use of the internet we had to purchase a cable for $5 and we were no longer wireless but were able to at least connect. Whatever. They have to make their money somehow I suppose.
We got discount tickets to Busch Gardens from Four Sails. Regular park price is $56, we paid $45. Very nice savings. Ate in the hotel restaurant only once-breakfast. Not great and very pricey.

All in all a wonderful week and would recommend this hotel to others. Price was good, no body approached us to buy a timeshare unit.

1  Thank psmith27
Reviewed 18 July 2008

We just returned from a six-night stay at Four Sails. We were pleased with everything from reservation to check out. The front desk, housekeeping, and maintenance staff are all very efficient , accomodating, and friendly.

We chose this property because of their:
1) positive tripadvisor.com reviews
2) size and configuration of units, and
3) very reasonable prices.

Our unit was very clean and extremely well-equipped. We took our hair dryer and blender, but were pleased to see that they had both. I really liked that all of the dinnerware were wrapped and covered. We got good sleep in the bed and the sofa bed was comfortable and roomy enough for two 6-foot-plus sons. The tub, as other reviewers have noted, was wonderful.

The double length balcony of our unit easily accomodated all four of us. The sundeck on the eighth floor provided a quiet, shady spot for morning coffee.

I got a very low wireless signal in our eighth floor unit, but had I used a cat-5 cable in the port provided the response time would probably would have been much better. But the wireless signal was ample for checking my email.

I agree with other reviewers' comments about the tight parking garage and the single, slow elevator; however, it was kind of fun to navigate through the garage, we always found a covered parking space, and there's not one ding on my full-size car. As for the elevator, we got additional exercise by taking the stairs up to and down from our unit on the eighth floor.

I felt safe on the property. It's very well lit and you have to use your key card to enter the building from parking deck number 2.

We used their free bicycles once or twice each day. We enjoyed several breakfasts and one lunch at the 33rd Street Cafe. They have WONDERFUL french toast and omelettes and you can't beat the prices.

The location of the Four Sails is great. It's at the north end and I would say a few blocks up from the "strip". Across Atlantic Avenue is a PIzzeria with gourmet pizza. Two short blocks south is 31st street where great live music was featured every night. The boardwalk is wide, with a separate bike path. We enjoyed fireworks from the balcony on three nights. The beach is extremely wide here. The lifeguards keep a close watch on swimmers and blow their whistles quite a bit, but they are just doing their job.

Congratulations to the City of Virginia Beach for the improvements that they have made since we were there more than five years ago. We are Virginia residents and will be back to the beach and the Four Sails.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank VirginiaLoveToGo
Reviewed 22 May 2008

We went for my son's wedding on the beach. It was planned in less then 4 weeks so there was much to be done. We were in unit 303, 1 bedroom suite, both balconys adjoined for Ocean View. So I was looking for:
Space: for myself, my husband and 17 year old (He slept on pull out couch) no problem
Ocean View: Spectacular!
Balcony: For family to spread out on so no conjestion in the kitchen.
Full size, Fully equiped kitchen: Yes and No, Full size WALL UNIT oven which is about 2/3 the size of a full (They tell you its full, NOT!) and 2 burner stove not 4.
I needed to be able to cook 40lbs of Beef brisket for 12 hours for the reception. After asking the front desk for a 2nd oven rack (which they provided quickly) I had no problem and the Hotel smelled really good the rest of the day :)) I know how nuts that sounds but it was necessary and actually a fun relaxing day for family to gather that hadn't seen each other in awhile. My son The Groom is a US Marine and married a Marine so there wasn't much time.
The kitchen had nice extras like paper towels/salt and pepper/dish soap and dishwasher powder. Crappy sponge, bring your own. All dishes etc wrapped and clean.
Huge whirlpool tub. TV in living and Bedroom/DVD player and stereo.
If you want and impressive lobby or halls its not here. But the suites will not disappoint. SLLLLLLLLow elevator during the day, early or late no problem. The parking garage is rediculous. Don't rent a big car and go slow and you'll be fine. They have pillars all over the garage that eat up way too much square feet and make it dificult to navigate.
The place was clean, no bugs, some reviews of Virginia Beach Hotels were a little creepy.
Would I stay there again, yep! It was very nice and affordable, don't forget to go to their website and print the 10% off coupon and give it to them when you ck in.
Maybe next time I'll actually go for a vacation and not cook, but its nice to know you can if its necessary.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family