“It was OK.”

Ranked #75 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Middle Village, New York
“It was OK.”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I got this hotel by exchanging my timeshare via Interval International. I have started reading all the negative reviews after I booked this hotel. Based on these reviews I was expecting a run-down hotel with dirty rooms, rude staff and terrible food - well, nothing like that happened. In my opinion this hotel deserves 3.5 stars.
The hotel is situated in a great area: close to Neptune Park, restaurants and right on the beach. The staff is nice and always helpful. They did not bother me with any timeshare presentation but maybe because I stayed via timeshare exchange. There were many people who attended timeshare presentations. However, if you are not interested in buying a timeshare - skip presentations (just say "no"). I arrived around 12:00 am and check-in process was very fast. I did not get an oceanfront room but I did not request one. I stayed only 3 nights and spent most of the time outside the hotel. If you are going on vacation - request oceanfront room. I had a studio room which was really small (max 2 people and still claustrophobic). However, my room was clean and had a decent kitchenette. Bed was uncomfortable. Housekeeping is based on the type of guest:
1) if you are a hotel guest, housekeeping is daily and free of charge;
2) if you are a timeshare owner or exchanged timeshare (like me), housekeeping has to be ordered and there are different fees based on the type of cleaning you are requesting.
Beach towels were available daily next to the pool area. Yes, they keep record of how many towels you are taking and returning which is normal in most of the hotels. Swimming pools area looks nice and clean. However, I must agree that swimming pools were not the cleanest so I did not use them. Same with Jacuzzi. Drinks from Tortuga & Tiki Bar were good; food was not. There is a lot of restaurants in the area so you have plenty to choose from. Prices are similar to the ones in NY restaurants (standard ones). They offer self-parking for $8 per day across the street.
I would definitely stay there again for max 2-3 nights. However, if I would go on vacation (more than 3 nights) - at least oceanfront 1 bedroom suite would be a must.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ania7781
VBGM1, General Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for staying at the Ocean Beach Club. We hope you enjoyed your exchange time with us. We appreciate your kind comments about clean room and friendly staff. I also appreciate your comments regarding the uncomfortable bedding you experienced during your stay. I have followed up with our team to review our processes based on your feedback. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Turkish first
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 September 2013

OBC is a great location and offers the privacy of multiple rooms which is why we stay here every year. The check in process is usually very hectic as well as parking and loading/unloading your vehicle. The ocean front rooms offer a fantastic view of the ocean and the pools. The rooms could use some renovation - the pull out sofa is very uncomfortable; the actual beds are not very comfortable and the air conditioning unit right next to the bed is very loud. The kitchen is well equipped. The staff is very friendly. On the downside, the pool is not very clean and the "pool rules" are not enforced to allow adults only in the adult pool - kids were running around unsupervised by their parents. The construction next door begings early morning; however, OBC does provide you with that information when booking.
The pool bar provides food and drink at reasonable prices but service is spotty at best.
Although we stay here every year, based on the cost, it may be wise to shop around next year.

Room Tip: Ocean front balcony rooms on the upper floors offer spectactual ocean views.
1 Thank ViaggiatoriSicilia
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I just returned from a week stay at Ocean Beach Club with my husband and 2 kids ages 8 and 11. Overall, we had a great vacation in Virginia Beach and although I preferred this to a sister resort on 17th street we stayed at 3 years ago (Boardwalk), I don't think I would stay here again. We had a one bedroom with a beautiful view of the ocean and pool. The living room had a pull out sofa bed for the kids which was adequate. The kitchen was also fine for our needs (we ate breakfast and lunch in and went out for dinners). The complaint my husband and I have is that our bed was small (we definitely feel it was more like a double than a queen size) and very uncomfortable. We also did not like that the air conditioning unit right next to the bed was very noisy to listen to. There was construction going on next door, but although sometimes noisy during the day, it didn't really bother me very much. We felt that the resort staff were all very nice, the pool area was lovely, and the beach was wonderful. I called the concierge several times over the week and they were very helpful. However, the uncomfortable bed would really prevent me from staying here again. We had stayed our 1st night at the Hampton Inn South (there was not availability at Ocean Beach Club that night) and our bed was extremely comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. Once we checked into Ocean Beach Club, we didn't sleep well at all. If they were to upgrade their beds, I would enjoy returning to Ocean Beach Club.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on a high floor with an ocean front view.
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I'm writing this review on our last night in this hotel. I stayed here with my wife and 14 month old for our first family vacation. We had a one bedroom queen suite that was very small. They provided us with a pack and play for my daughter to sleep in, but the only place in the room where it would fit was at the door into the room. This made getting in and out of the room (especially with a stroller) extremely difficult. There are also electric outlets down low in the entranceway that my daughter immediately found. The worst part of the room was the 3 drawers on the dresser kept sliding open on their own. My daughter ended up bumping her head on the drawers 3 times since we didn't notice every time they slid open. The hotel is definitely in need of some repair. We hear water running in the wall for most of the day and night. The maintenance guy came to our room twice checking for leaks because of the complaints from the floor below us about the running water. I also noticed the whole outside wall is bulging and wallpaper peeling between our room and the elevator. This morning when I went to take a shower, there was no water from the faucets. I called the front desk and was told that they were working on a water pump issue. Not a big issue as it was resolved within the hour, but just an annoyance when you are trying to get ready for the day.

We were provided with an oceanfront room on the 11th floor which was an amazing view, I did not book an oceanfront room or ask for any upgrades, so that was a nice surprise. I'm still confused on how the housekeeping staff functions. There was a sheet of paper on the fridge when we arrived for requesting housekeeping services which started at $10 and went up to $30 depending on how much you wanted done. On our second day someone came to the door and gave us fresh bath towels. On the third day we came back from the beach to find a woman cleaning our room.

The concierge was vey helpful and sold discounted attraction tickets. She also asked us to attend the timeshare presentation every time we went down to the lobby.

The construction next door was not a problem. We heard nothing from inside our room. The jets flying overhead were cool to watch. Yes they are extremely loud but we did not notice them after 10pm.

Next time we will definitely choose a different hotel, I think we can get better accommodations elsewhere for the same price we paid to stay here.

And on one last note, there is a new restaurant across the street called Big Italy. We stopped in for dinner tonight and my daughter started getting a little fussy as she is teething. She was crying a little here and there but wasn't being terrible, we were politely asked to leave the restaurant when the waitress brought over to go boxes and the check before we even half finished our meals. This was around 5:00 and the restaurant was only about 1/4 full, so I thought that was rude.

1 Thank dmz43
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Our in-laws bought a time share at OBC so we go and stay with them once a summer. They have a 3 bedroom lock out (which is like 3 hotel rooms one being really nice suite style). We have stayed in this hotel multiple time and each time have really enjoyed it. This side of the beach is much quieter and very nice for family's so the location is great. The hotel staff is very pleasant and helpful. If you need space 5 or more people you will not find a better hotel with ocean front on the beach. The pools (2 out door 1 indoor and 1 at the sister hotel that is adults only) are always nice and always clean. The restaurant on location is great. I will go back and cont. recommending!

• Stayed August 2013
Monument, Colorado
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have to say that my relaxing beach vacation was anything but. The extreme noise (construction noise -- concrete was being poured on an adjacent highrise hotel) was obscene -- and to do that to your PAYING guests at 3 a.m. is absurd! The indoor pool was disgusting. When I told the concierge about the piles of hair (I'm talking enough to make a wig or two) that were being fished out by children and plopped on the deck, the garbage, dirty glasses and food remnants left on the chairs and tables, he made a call, but the gentleman that came in picked up a single glass and left. The jetted tub in our room did not work, but disgusting filth came out of the jets when I was giving the children a bath. I waited to speak to a manager at check out, but was told that I would be contacted within an hour due to a meeting he/she was attending. Needless to say, I was not contacted. When I called the next day, again I was told that the managers were all in a meeting and that I would be called. I called one last time a few days after checkout, but was told yet again that no managers were available due to a meeting, and was asked if I was an "owner." Evidently, their guests are not important enough to be contacted when they have concerns that should be addressed. Stay away!!! They have poor customer service and a complete lack of concern for their guests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank LesDuFours
New Castle, Delaware, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I like this hotel. It is right on the beach. I had a two bedroom suite. It was great. So big and roomy and very clean. The only thing I didn't like are the beds are small and parking is across the street.I didn't get bothered by the timeshare people either.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family