“Great stay in Virginia Beach at Ocean Beach Club”
Review of Ocean Beach Club

and 1 more site!
Ocean Beach Club
Ranked #69 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We just completed our annual stay at the oceanfront for the Neptune Festival. September is a favorite time of year to visit. We love the Neptune Festival with all the art, volleyball, regatta, and best of all the International Sand Sculpting competition!

Unit Features: Units ending in "02" are classified as Mediterranean. They are corner units. The "A" side has an oceanfront balcony off of the bedroom and beautiful oceanfront views from the windows in the living area, as well as views of the City (panoramic). The "B" side has a small side balcony, also with beach, ocean and City views. There is a shared foyer for this lock-out. The 1BR side will accommodate up to four, with a queen in the bedroom and a sleep sofa in the living area. It has a full kitchen. The kitchen is small, but is equipped with the essentials. It has a dining table with three chairs and a booth type bench seat for three. There is a full bath with Jacuzzi tub that is closed off from the vanity/sink area. The single bathroom can be closed off by doors to the bedroom and living area, offering privacy for four. There are TVs in the bedroom and living area. The Studio will accommodate up to two. It has a full bath, mini kitchen and queen bed. It has a small balcony for two and TV.

Condition of Unit and Property: The condition of the unit was good, The furnishings were in good condition, although the springs in the sofa bed could be felt on one end of the sofa when seated on it. Nothing in the units could be considered plush; however, everything was clean and well-maintained (except the sofa). The sofa was not used during our stay for sleeping. The Property, itself, is very nice. All areas were clean including interiors, amenity areas and landscaping.

Any problems encountered such as check-in problems, room changes, etc.: Everything went very smooth during our week-long stay. There were no issues encountered. I had requested an upper floor in my unit type prior to my stay, and was placed on the 14th floor.

Planned Resort Activities such as welcome parties, barbecues, kid programs, and outings: There were several planned activities each day. Many required pre-reserving space 24-48 hours in advance. Some of the activities had fees. OCB is owned by Gold Key Resorts, which has four other resorts at the oceanfront. Some of the activities were held on-site at the other resorts.

Resort Amenities: The resort has an on-site Tiki bar (seasonal) that is very nice, overlooking the boardwalk and ocean. The service was very good, as well as the food and drinks. There are two outdoor pools with lots of loungers. Pool towels are provided. There are two indoor pools. One is an infinity pool. There is a very large hot tub. A couple of bars are located in OceanAire, which is a new phase at the OCB Resort. A well-equipped fitness room is located in a glass-enclosed upper floor area. There is also a well-equipped game room, concierge and valet services, a parking garage across the street, and free WIFI in the rooms. There is no full-service restaurant on-site, although there are many dining options within walking distance.

Staff Friendliness and Responsiveness: The friendliness and responsiveness of the staff, all around, was great. Everyone encountered was happy to assist in making our stay a great one.

Convenience to Area Attractions: The location of this resort is at the Northend of the beach/boardwalk. It is near great shopping, restaurants, a music stage, nightlife, the oceanfront bike path and boardwalk and more. It is near the interstate for travel to other attractions and activities. There are two grocery stores nearby (Harris Teeter and Farm Fresh), as well as an alcoholic beverage store.

Additional fees assessed: Parking was provided for one vehicle only. If parking more than one vehicle in the parking garage, there was a daily rate of $8. There were fees for some of the planned activities, if one chose to participate.

Suitability of Resort for couples, families, relaxing, partying, etc.: This resort would be great for all groups. There were lots of families, couples and older singles at the resort during our stay. There's opportunities for both relaxing and partying, and neither interfers with the other.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Egret1986061
VBGM1, General Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for staying at the Ocean Beach Club. We appreciate your kind comments about the resort & it's staff. I also appreciate your comments regarding the condition of the sleeper sofa you experienced during your stay. I have followed up with our team to review our processes based on your feedback. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had read reviews prior to our arrival, so knew parking was across the street. Others on check in upset about this fact. Arrived late, Jason was great in helping us get our stuff upstairs, Emily at the front desk help us with directions for our early morning excersion, Daniel from the restaurant helped me with access to the beach late at night. On the beach,beautiful rooms, great staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We couldn’t agree more with your kind comments regarding Emily. We are fortunate to have many great associates on our team at Ocean Beach Club. You can be assured we will share your kind comments with our team members. We hope we can serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at the Ocean Beach hotel for a family get together. We booked a standard queen room. We've had larger cabins on cruise ships! There was a queen size bed, 2 side chairs, a small table and 2 nightstands in addition to a chest with 2 drawers and a TV on top. There was also a small armoire for hanging clothes (no closet). The room included a kitchenette type setup and we appreciated having an undercounter refrigerator.

The storage in the room was impossible, although there were just 2 of us and we were only there for 3 nights. There is so little space in the room that we had to take turns getting anything out of the two drawers that were available. The noisy window air conditioning unit is within 1 foot of the bed and blows right across your feet. You have to turn sideways to get into bed on the side next to the air conditioner--very tight space even for a small person. We had to move some of the kitchen equipment to make room for a bit more storage. The bathroom was large in terms of area, but very poorly set up. We could not use the vanity or see in the mirror above the vanity (the only mirror in the room) unless we closed the bathroom door and stood right next to the wall. They have an iron in the room but there's no space for a regular ironing board; they provide one of those tabletop boards and it's a challenge to figure out where to set it up in the cramped room.

The property itself is nice with a beautiful pool area. It's right on the beach, so very nicely located. Parking is about a block away and costs $8 per day.

We would have enjoyed our stay if only we had had a closet and about 25 more square feet in the room. The hotel's amenities did not make up for the completely inadequate room size.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
VBGM1, General Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay at Ocean Beach Club I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay in a studio room.

I personally apologize that your expectations were not met regarding the size of the studio room. We do appreciate your loyalty as a returning guest, as we strive for consistency and excellent service. After reading your review, I will address your comments with my staff. Again, I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us this time, but I hope you give us another chance to earn your business back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This resort is very nice ! The room were very clean & updated . They have 4 pools right on the beach. One of the pools was an adult pool which My wife & I truly enjojed everyday of our stay.They have a great Italian restaurant across the street whic was also very enjoyable. Right out side the OBC there was a three mile long boardwalk and bicycle path. You could rent a bicycle or a surrey by the hour to ride up and down the boardwalk. The also had a bike path on the strre infron of the OBC which was also enjoyable to bike ride on. I and my wife bike rode every night for an hour. Even on the boardwalk ther are nimerous restaurants. Entertaiment up and down the boardwalk every night. Even a firework show twice a week . The OBC is a great getaway & I would love to return again.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book you ask for Ocean front !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Donald G

Your comments made my day! Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. Our team was delighted to hear you were pleased with our resort and it's staff. We look forward to being of service to you again on your upcoming trips to Virginia Beach. Thanks again for your kind comments and business.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

After reading all the reviews, I was very nervous to go to the Ocean Beach Club, but it turned out great. The room we selected was the smallest room that they offer, but the space was compact and perfectly laid out and just what we needed. There is a small kitchenette, a table and a bathroom which had a very deep tub... (not jetted). The entertainment center was also the dresser/armoire. There was a nice flat screen TV with a blue ray player and the sides of the cabinet you can hang your clothes and the bottom of the cabinet held the drawers. We stayed on the North side, with a view of the ocean, facing the construction of the new building, but they didn't work on Sunday. The price was just hard to beat. I looked at other Hotels (named brand) and the prices were higher.. If I was going to pay $150 for a night, I want to have luxury and this place has that. The pools are great they have indoor, outdoor, hot tubs and plenty of lounge chairs, you have access to the Oceanair, the neighboring property and you can order drinks and food by the pool and they have an adult only section. The whole experience was a resort feel. I very much enjoyed it and will go back again when I have the money or if the price drops. You just have to remember that the place is a time share and the rooms are attached as such and we saw plenty of people on tours.

Room Tip: The North side of the Hotel is where the construction is going on. They will charge you a $100 inci...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Your comments made my day! Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. Our team was delighted to hear you were pleased with our resort during your last minute trip. We look forward to being of service to you again on your upcoming trips to Virginia Beach. Thanks again for your kind comments and business.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

we exchange out timeshare to go to this hotel..I was worry because of the reviews in this site but took the chance. Well the hotel was very nice in a fantastic location ..the pool were nice and you are able to use the pool of the attached property( occeannarie) which was adult only which I enjoy...
check in was fine .. I am aware when you are a timeshare owner you get you room clean once during the week which is fine with me ..however in every place I been I am able to exchange my towels.. I was in total shock when they totally refused to give clean towel.. it was insane to see they are willing to make customer unhappy and risk bad reviews over stupid towels...they girl in front desk went and ask a supervisor and the supervisor said I have to paid 10 dollars I was so upset that it took me a couple of days to write this review because I wanted to be fair and had to let a little time go by or I would be very negative.. over all s a nice property however the management has not regard for theirs customers....so they are bound to do bad with all these bad reviews they are getting..

Room Tip: bring your own towels
4  Thank Aida M

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for staying at the Ocean Beach Club Resort. We appreciate your comments regarding the lack of daily cleaning service you experienced during your week with us. Our owner's base have chosen to keep their annual maintenance fees low, by minimizing their weekly housekeeping expenses. The resort does offer daily cleaning and towel exchange for an additional fee for the owners and exchange guest who request it. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Some friends of ours came to visit VA Beach and stayed at this location so we decided to get a room and hang out with them at the beach also! Loved this property! Very clean. Staff friendly. Directly on the beach. Full kitchen. Ocean view was great! I would recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Your comments made my day! Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. Our team was delighted to hear you were pleased with our clean rooms and friendly staff. We look forward to being of service to you again on your upcoming trips to Virginia Beach. Thanks again for your kind comments and business.