“Time share annoyance”

Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New York City, New York
“Time share annoyance”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here in the fall on the way down to a wedding in the Carolinas.( Virginia beach looked like a ghost town btw) Although this property is large and does offer some very nice amenities such as a gym, and beautiful pool our stay was just ok. When we arrived late at night we were tired and wanted nothing more than to check in and relax. The front desk agents were very nice but then they escorted us over to the timeshare desk. The woman there tried to push us into a time share meeting early the next morning. We kindly explained that we were just in town for the night and had just driven 12 hours. We had to be at a rehearsal dinner the next afternoon in North Carolina and didn't have a few hours to spare for a time share presentation. When I tell you as soon as we expressed to the time share woman that we were not interested, it was as we didn't even exist as hotel guests. So odd. Like "ok people be gone" LOL The attitude was a bit jarring. On a side note I was training for a fitness competition at this time and needed access to a 24 hour gym and a fridge for my food. This place offered both, so we chose this property specifically . Rooms were nice though. The gym was alright but had some broken equipment. The moral of the story here is, if you are staying for a week or so, maybe this place would be better. but prepared to get hassled about timeshare ownership.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SoCalBee78
VBGM1, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear SoCalBee78,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hassle that you encountered during your time at our resort. We have contacted the appropriate department heads and shared your review with them to take corrective actions. We appreciate all guest feed back as this helps us continue to improve guest satisfaction.
We wish you a wonderful summer!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Great stay with the Ocean Beach Club. Upon our arrival I was greeted with a smile from Mary who made me feel as if I was an owner of the property. I asked her if they had a room that was nice and reasonably priced and she said she would see what she could do. I told her I didn't want to keep shopping for prices and a nice room. She convinced me to stay there not only with the price she gave me, but explaining all the amenities of the club and the whole time like I said making me feel as if I was an owner of the property. Some of the amenities of the club was having a sun deck on top of one of the floors, nice infinity pool, huge spa like hot tub, bar and grill outdoors and if you wanted something all you had to do was put a little white flag up and they came to you. All drinks and food reasonably priced. Only negative about the drinks was they didn't have any non alcoholic drinks such as daiquiris for someone who can't have alcohol. Overall, great experience with the ocean beach club.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Esmeralda H
VBGM1, General Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Esmeralda H,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at our Ocean Beach Club Resort. We really try hard to make sure that our owners and guest have a great experience. Mary is absolutely wonderful and goes above and beyond; I will make sure to pass on your review with her. We sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We loved our stay here. We brought my husbands parents down for the week on an exchange with interval international. We had a 2 bedroom unit with an ocean view and 2 balconies (one off each bedroom). The units are beautifully decorated and the staff all very friendly, especially the door staff in charge of trying to organize the traffic coming in during busy check-in and check-out times.. but always opening our doors for us and giving us a friendly 'good day'.

We stayed in late April.. the weather did not fully cooperate as a storm system was all along the east coast. But we made the most of the indoor pools, Norfolk and the shopping. When the sun finally did come out (along with all the people!) we rented a bike and enjoyed the boardwalk and outdoor pools and cabana area. We were sad to leave!

p.s. wasn't really bothered with timeshare pressures what-so-ever.

Room Tip: Our 2 bedroom unit on the 11th floor was lovely
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shelley_2011999
Dear shelley_2011999,

Thank you for very much for your kind comments regarding our property and staff; I will make sure to share your feedback with our teams.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you can imagine positive feedback is very rewarding and helps us know we are doing our job. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Danville, Virginia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

First we booked our room online and was told it was "oceanview" the only view we got was on the back side of the hotel.. more like "dumpster/construction view" several people called our room to try and sell us time shares throughout the whole stay which was annoying. Then we told the front office staff we would like no room service, but yet got bothered several times with housekeeping knocking on our door. Next I got overcharged..I was only supposed to pay ~$670 for thurs-sun and 8$ per day for parking; but then my card gets charged 229$ before we arrived; then $100 at check in; $464 at check out; and then 2 days after I checkout $364!! Then I call and ask about the charges(9am), get put on hold 2 times and was told someone would return my call...NO ONE DID.. I then call back at 1:00pm was then put on hold AGAIN; and still was told someone would return my call! NO ONE DID... Now I am currently on hold as typing this for OVER 1 HOUR.. been told the supervisor is coming and still listening to the music on hold... people randomly keep picking up asking if "I can be placed on hold again" I answer NO, and still get put on Hold.. which is EXTREMELY rude! Horrible customer service! Ocean Beach Club should be more respectful of their guests. So quick to overcharge someone, but doesn't care to return the money.

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank Erinf8
VBGM1, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Erinf8,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our facility. We value all guests’ comments and opinions, to help us continue to improve guest satisfaction.
I understand this issue was resolved; I hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcome you back. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Right on the beach! Beautiful pool....that unfortunately gets no direct sun after noon. Bar and restaurant staff is attentive. A little pricey but that is expect for a nice tourist beach hotel. I would certainly return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dj-dale
VBGM1, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear dj-dale,
Thank you for selecting our resort as your traveling destination. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to having you back on your next trip to the beach!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I do not own a unit here. I traded a week at my timeshare for a week here. We stayed on the 17th floor with a great view of the ocean. I would not have liked a unit that faces the street. The building is clean and in good condition. There are several pools in and out. The heated indoor pools were very useful at night and during bad weather. The staff was helpful. You need to use your card key to reach the 17th and 18th floors. I'm not sure why really but it did impress some people on the elevator. The unit had a microwave but no stove. My only other complaint is the $8 per day parking.

Room Tip: If you don't own a unit here, call 72 hours before check in to request an ocean front view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dana_b1234
VBGM1, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our resort and for your kind comments. We are very happy to hear that you had a good time and enjoyed your stay. Our associates strive to provide each guest and owner with a memorable experience. Unfortunately, we have no control over the parking fees, as it is shared with the City of Virginia Beach. We do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property on your future travels to Virginia Beach.
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We had a great visit. Every member of the staff was exceptional. An example was when we had some trash to discard. We were standing in the hall holding it when one of the maintenance people came by. He asked if he could help with something, we asked where to dump trash, and his reply was " let me take that for you." Then he showed us to the trash chute and explained how to operate it, and asked if we needed anything else. Truly great service. Every employee was a professional. We had a great stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael K
Dear Michael,
Thank you for generous review! We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our resort along with our guest service. Your kind comments have been shared with our team and supervisors. We are very grateful for your business and look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach.