“not so great”

Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is an update from the last time I stayed. It seemed like the room is tired and it needs maintenance. the door will not lock when closed you have to push it a couple of times to shut. The toilet was clogged to high heavens. Was reported but then they went to the wrong room! Requested for a room change but was denied. IT was a weekday and surely there was an empty room in the building.
Staff doesn't know the difference between a blanket and a mattress spread. The list goes on….
I have other choices but will decide not to pick this place next time we are in town.

Room Tip: The walls are very thin pick the top floor away from the elevator to be safe.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear PURpleYAMS,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all issues you had during your stay. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

Not very spacious. Our door to our room was very hard to open and close. You can't open the window for fresh air and the air conditioning makes the room freezing! The furniture was outdated and scratched up. They do have a comfortable lazy boy type chair in the room. The staff was very friendly. This hotel doesn't have a pool but guests are allowed to use the crown plaza pool which is steps away from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
Brian_CWSVB, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

We know there are plenty of lodging options out there and we are glad you chose to stay with us here at the Candlewood Suites. I'm glad you enjoyed our award winning staff we pride ourselves on giving the friendliest and best service in the Virginia Beach area. Just wanted to let you know we are in the process of updating some parts of our hotel. This week we just finished re- carpeting all of our guest Suites, later this month we will be replacing some of the worn furniture in our guest Suites and all of our linen and bedding is in the process of being replaced. We would love to have you come back and see all of our updates, enjoy another swim next door at our sister property or experience all the great things that Virginia Beach Town Center has to offer and this time maybe you can stay in our spacious one bedroom King Suite.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Just got home from my stay at this hotel. Rooms are nicely appointed with kitchen and decent size bathroom. We stayed on the first floor, which I thought might be noisy. I'm a light sleeper and didn't have any issues. Location was convenient to food, gas, etc. Staff were very helpful. Mike, the manager, went out of his way to help me change my reservation. In addition, I left one of my bags in my room. Housekeeping was able to retrieve it for me and is shipping it home. I really appreciated the extra service that the staff provided!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lowendip
Melinda W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you for your kind words about the Candlewood Suites and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Myself and the Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach Team pride our self in having the best customer service in the area. We were glad that we could find your bag for you and Mike personally mailed it off yesterday. Hopefully next time you visit us you will not have to shorten your stay, but we do understand and wish your sons team the best of luck.

Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival at the Candlewood Suites I was greeted by the front desk clerk, she was very polite and had great customer service. I was visiting Va beach for work, I was able to get an excellent rate on my room. I was totally amazed my room was immaculate and it was a great size with some great features. I was able to also continue my workout with the on site gym/exercise room. Its a great location as well, the hotel was interstate accessible, I didn't have to drive far for my morning meeting. Overall I give the hotel two thumbs up! Great rates and Very nice rooms...I'm very big on customer services and they blew me away with that everyone was nice and spoke even housekeeping. I enjoyed my stay they made me feel at home and I will certainly be staying here and other locations in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2013
Melinda W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

We have a great Team here Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We try and do our best to make our guests feel at home with our amenities like FREE guest laundry, FREE WIFI, access to our FREE gas Grill and Gym. We hope the next time you have business in the area you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

It was reaching early morning hours and I was looking for a hotel to check into. Although I wasnt looking to pay a fortune considering that most likely checkout would b just few hours away and I would be leaving. I decided to stop into the Candlewood Suites off of Bonney Rd and was so glad I chose this hotel. From the minute I walked thru the door until I received my room key Angel who is the night manager at this hotel truly went above & beyond for me & exceeded expectations of any other hotel clerk in the area. I was accomodated and given everything I was looking for in order to meet my needs during this stay. Needless to say I will definitely be going back soon and looking for my #1hotel reservationist. She definitely knows how to accomodate her guests and quoted ftom her she said "she treats others as she would like to be treated" She will do whatever she can to make her guests feel welcomed, at home, and their reservation to suit their needs. Angel is the girl!! Best hotel reservationist/mgr ever!! Keep it up girl!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Melinda W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

We here at candlewood Suites are glad you enjoyed your stay and we pride ourselves in having and excellent staff that will go out of their way to make you feel at home. I'm so glad that Angel took good care of you and was able to help you with all your reservation needs. We hope the next time you are in need of a room and want to feel like your at home you will choose the Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

About what I expected. Nicely laid out room with everything you needed to stay for awhile. Average for cleanliness. Decorated nicely. Carpeting appeared to be fairly new and clean. Room was comfortable and mostly clean. Some areas upgraded but others needed it. Staff was friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side of the bldg-very noisey
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Melinda W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

We here at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach greatly appreciate you giving us the chance to serve your hospitality needs. We are currently in the process of putting new carpet and bedding in all of our guest rooms so we hope you will enjoy our upgrades on your next visit to the Virginia Beach area.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

If it was warmer this hotel is not a far walk from the "downtown" area. It is a bit of a drive to the beach. The hotel was nice. Their idea of a Queen is really a Double bed. It was a great price per night as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Melinda W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

We here at the Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach are glad that you enjoyed your most recent visit to our hotel and the area. We hope that the next time you come to stay with us the weather is nicer so you can take a walk over to Virginia Beach Town Center to enjoy all it has to offer.