“IF THE COCK ROACHES DONT RUN YOU OUT THE LONG TERM RESIDENTS WILL!!! DONT STAY HERE!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Virginia Beach At The Beach

Howard Johnson Virginia Beach At The Beach
Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I will never stay here again! First we check in and the front desk lady was new (like it was her 1st night ever) she was very nice but didn't know what she was doing!!! We get a room and WOAH!!!! IT WAS THE WORST URINE SMELL EVER!!!! So we switched rooms and I'm not sure this room was even rentable....trash in the corners, no pillows or towels or toilet paper and it was filthy!!! On to the 3rd room (it was late and I was tired or we would of spent the extra $40 and went to The Hilton) which had no light bulbs and again no pillows or towels or toilet paper. Also it smelled like wet dead dog and 50 year old wet carpet! I was so tired of moving stuff that I didn't care so I threw a sleeping bag over the bed and laid down and then BOOM!!!! The people next door slam their door. After listening to entire conversation about some crazy chic and herpes, I open the door and see about 15 people standing there waiting to get in the room next door. Obviously the long time residents are jobless, goalless and drunks. This is the worst place ever!!!!! The owner does not care about this place!!!! It's like an alcoholic soap opera!!!!! They should shut this place down for health code violations!!!! The roaches don't even wait for the lights to go out before they crawl across your bed!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Tylersaunt2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I think the place need to be close down for it. Cause it is to many bad comment about it and all of them is true. Cause I seen it with my own eyes and my Daughter and Grandsons got bitten by bugs in the room.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank FloridaSunShine46

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Petroleum, West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

My friends and I booked this hotel through Booking .com we liked the price and it looked good on the site well when we got there it was nothing like the pictures and it was dirty cockroaches everywhere they said we sprayed twice this week well no I don't think they did we had to leave and pay 600.00 for another hotel so we would not end up with cockroaches in our bags or in our ears .The bathrooms were disgusting looked like they had never been cleaned this is not a resort inn it is a roach motel The beds were dirty they had sand and grime on them and this was the second room they gave us .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angela M
Largo, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

The first thing we saw entering the room was a roach. The bathroom looked as though it had not been cleaned in quite some time. Hair and grime all over the bathroom floor, in and on the outside of the tub. And the door would not close. The manager was not on duty. I had to call a number to get help and this was long after their 9am open time. After waiting a half hour, I had to hunt down my own towels only to hear the staff complain. The place was a dump. Poorly run, and the smell was horrible. Never will I stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lisa P
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My family and I booked three rooms, we only got one to begin with, as the other two were supposed to be clean. We walk in the first room and its smelled terrible, there was hair all over ther bathroom, carpet was dirty, and didn't include features that were list online. After that, we received the other two keys. On one room, the lights didn't work at all, and the other room was still a mess, according to them it had been cleaned. Worst experience ever, don't believe anything from online, check first.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jorge52912
Salem, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was the worst accommodations I have ever seen. TV did not work, no towels in bathroom, no phone in the room to tell them we needed towels, no trash can, knobs gone off of cabinets. The room was just dirty and disgusting The front desk closed at 10 pm, yes I said closed and did not open back up until 9 am the next morning. The place is very run down, I would not even shower there I felt better dirty. Our door would not shut all the way, the door lock was broken on the adjoining room. There were people all over the motel up until 5am partying. I will be calling the better business bureau and complaining. Something needs to be done. I actually will never visit Virginia Beach ever again. I thought the area as a whole looked like a slum lord ran it.

Room Tip: Pay the higher room rate and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Sandy D
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

All of these poor reviews have really taken me by surprise. My family and I has just come back from a two night stay and I can honestly say it was quite pleasant. We had expected to only be there (the beach) one day and head home that night, but the weather wanted us to stay longer so we got a room. The front desk was very polite and the owner was extremely friendly, showing us around on the map, pointing out good family places, & even dog-earing a coupon book for us. The price was low compared to the surrounding areas so we didn't expect anything fancy. The elevator was a bit creepy, but the kids & I made a game out of it to distract us. The pool was nice, cleaned every morning. The staff was very polite, asking if we needed anything whenever we ran into them. Other than that, I can't think of anything negative to say about our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family