How we've grown to love Virginia Beach - a beautiful family-friendly resort full of nice, clean fun!
Our first visit, several years ago, was to a beautiful hotel further downtown, around 31st Street. At that time, we thought there couldn't possibly be anywhere better to situate ourselves, nor more convenient for getting around without having to use our car to go everywhere. That is, until this past visit, when we chose to stay at the Springhill Suites. Hands down, the location is perfect! The 8th Street to 13th Street area, in my estimation, is at the heart of everything anyone could want, particularly restaurants.
Our room was a King Suite on the 12th floor, with a view to die for. We sat on the balcony many times each day watching all the events taking place on the beach and boardwalk. The bed was comfortable, air conditioning in tip-top shape, and furniture relatively modern. Decor was brightly colored and cheery. Bathroom was clean. WiFi/Internet great.
Pools were very convenient and fun. It's nice to know there is an indoor pool available (whether or not you use it....) just in case the weather is bad.
Breakfast was good. There were juices, coffee, tea, fruits, breads, toast, bagels, pastries, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, and make-your-own waffles everyday. Some days there were biscuits-n-gravy, potatoes, and french toast sticks in addition. Newspapers to read while dining. All in all, a nice breakfast experience, available beginning at 06:30 am.
I liked the idea that a counter was set up for 24-hour coffee and tea service. The selection of teas and coffees was exceptional. As we came in and out of the lobby, we frequently grabbed a cup to take with us up to the room (although the room is also equipped with a coffee maker, microwave, and small fridge).
Boardwalk: Fabulous. Although not a wooden boardwalk, as many east coast residents know, this concrete boardwalk is superb, with lighting at night. You would think you were at Venice Beach, California (Really...). It was designed in such a way as to accommodate a bike path, but separated by an island of greenery/shrubs, which is very attractive, both from the boardwalk and the bike lane. The bike lane has people on it from dawn until near midnight (depending upon whether they brought their own bikes with them, not needing to rely upon whether rental places were still open). All day and all night you will see runners, skateboarders, in-line skaters, mommies (and an occasional daddy) jogging behind a baby stroller, etc. And beach vollyball - what fun! The hotel has 9 courts out front on the beach. How fortunate for us that there were local leagues playing almost every night, which was fun to watch.
We always felt safe walking along the boardwalk at night. No shady looking people. No one disorderly, no drunks, no itinerants. No incidents. Just fun, families, and beautiful people. Entertainment everywhere. By the time you are out of ear shot of one band playing somewhere, you are in ear shot of another one, a block or two away.
There are a couple of amusement parks (not huge, but sufficient) for the kids.
Beach: Pristine clean and large. Hats off to Virginia Beach for managing to keep the beach so clean! No debris, not one seashell. (Actually, to our surprise, no bugs, either! Not one mosquito, green-head fly, no-see-em, ants, or bees anywhere during our stay. Perhaps it's because I had already spent $20 on every type of insect repellent made and brought it along, just in case. Ha!) There were no jellyfish there, either, during our stay. Lifeguard/s on duty during the day.
Chair and umbrella rental by Sunrise Beach Services. We rented an umbrella for $15/day. We brought our own chairs with us although, I believe, the rental rate for chairs is $7.50 and up, depending upon type of chair. There are several beach stores located right behind the hotel on Atlantic Avenue, where many people choose to just purchase umbrellas and chairs outright. You can buy a basic chair for about $10-15, umbrellas more. There are also the store-chain beach stores all over Virginia Beach, called "Sunsations," where you can purchase anything else you might need (sunscreen, towels, etc.).
A block down, on the beach, is a fun pirate ship beach playhouse. Kids can be seen playing there day and night.
Bike Rentals: While not available at the hotel, they are located every block or two either along Atlantic Avenue, or along the boardwalk, for about $7/hr. standard bike, although special rates are available. Some places offer buy 1-hour, get 1-hour free deals. Plenty of surrey rentals, which accommodate 2 to 8 people.
Springhill Suites has a lot to offer. My only recommendation would be for housekeeping staff to dust the tables more frequently since whenever you open the sliding doors to the balcony, sand inevidably blows in and settles on table tops.
We hope to visit again soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, where weekend jaunts, family vacations, and even business trips are enjoyable and memorable. Our Virginia Beach Oceanfront hotel's beachfront location in Virginia Beach, Virginia is perfect for those who want to step just feet away from their guest room and sink their toes into the sand. Our hotel features all oceanfront suites with private balcony, microwave, mini refrigerator, 2 TVs, complimentary breakfast, free wireless Internet, free local calls, and complimentary parking. Enjoy our indoor pool and expansive outdoor pool plaza with cafe and fitness center. SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront lets you unwind and cherish every moment in Virginia Beach, VA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Marriott, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Springhill Suites