“Great Place to Stay!!”

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The hotel was always clean and well supplied, but the thing that makes this hotel great is the staff. I have stayed here twice this year (3 weeks the first time and 2 weeks on this trip). Both times I wound up on the 8th floor and though my trips were several months apart, my room was still serviced by the same person. Vesela had remembered me from my last trip and immediately remembered that I liked to have extra towels and coffee without even asking (she remembered from my first trip) Each and everyday she was at our room around the same time like clock work. She always had a bright smile and remained very attentive to our needs. Her contribution helped make our trip just that much better.
Jay is an equally valuable member of the hotel staff. He takes time to get to know those who are staying in the hotel. He felt like more than just a hotel employee, but as someone welcoming me Home each day. (Ironically, when I came back for my second trip, he immediately recognized me, walked over shook my hadn and said "Welcome Home, Chief (I am a Chief Warrant Officer in the Army)).
The staff of this hotel takes the part of home you miss on a vacation and ensure you feel lik you're home....... I would recommend this hotel if it were a collection of cardboard boxes as long as it had the same staff.............

Room Tip: Request the 8th Floor - great views and best housekeepers on staff!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Chief131
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Thank you so very much for your kind comments. I am proud to hear that Vesela & Jay made such a difference in your stays with us. They will be recognized for their efforts. I hope we will continue to be your home away from home and look forward to your next visit!

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I did spend more time on the beach and with fam than in the hotel, but it was really nice. Room was clean and comfortable. The hotel was far enough from the 'outside club' at another neighboring hotel that the music didn't bother you but close enough if you wanted to hear it, you could. I'm 30 so part of the younger crowd?? Either way. Would only really affect anyone in summer season. A few steps across the beach in either direction, you'd be fine. Nice lil outside bar. Very convenient. Can't take drinks back to beach. I found that smart and safe. Very handsome bartender didn't hurt!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank ProSleeper
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Thank you so very much for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to relax. We hope we exceeded your expectations and look forward to seeing you again for your next getaway to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Chose this hotel based on reviews and Marriott Rewards membership. We were not disappointed! Checked in on a Sunday afternoon and it went quickly. Gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and expedient. There was a little bit of a wait to get into one of the 3 elevators, but not excessive. Room was a one-bedroom suite with 2 queen beds and the first thing I noticed when opening the door was that it was very spacious. Very comfortably sleeps 5. Loved the room and the view. We were oceanfront on the 12th floor at the end of the hall. Living area, bathroom, bedroom- all had plenty of room to move around. Having 2 TVs was great for the kids. 2 bathroom sink areas made it easier to get ready while someone else was in the bathroom. Only 1 negative thing noticed inside. Around 1:45 in the morning, there was a loud banging sound from within the walls that woke me up. It was almost deafening at that time of night when it woke me up. I had read a review somewhere to know it may be the air conditioner. I turned it down and the noise went off. Problem solved but the last thing I thought about before I went back to sleep was that I didn't want a maintenance man in my room at that time of night. I'm glad it stopped.

The hotel had the beach right out the back door so very convenient to get to the water. The pool was detached from the hotel, but easy to get to. It's not the type of pool you can relax and enjoy the beauty of. It's a beach pool so a lot of unknown things floating around and sand throughout. One thing the hotel should add is a pool shower. There are signs to shower but no shower near the pool. The pool itself is a good, large size with a large hot tub at the end of it. Towels were plentiful and the staff at the pool bar were very friendly.

We were running later than planned for breakfast and ended up heading down with only 15 minutes left. As soon as we got off the elevator, the only thing I could say was, "wowww...". The line was the longest I'd ever seen at a hotel breakfast. I debated going elsewhere because the line was so long, but I'm glad I didn't. It moved much faster than I thought it would. Surprisingly, seats were plentiful despite the crowd. No complaints with breakfast. They had a good layout which helped the line move. Trays were provided with the plates and another smart thing the hotel did was have the waffle irons in a separate area. Drinks as well. I can honestly say that other than having a second line of food, they couldn't have done it any better. Scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, tater tots and biscuits were the hot dishes. Plenty of cereal and breads. With the crowd and late time, one could expect empty pans but there was plenty of food.

All in all a great hotel. The not so greats- dirty pool and elevator wait- were not significant to us. We had a great beach mini-vacay and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tni

What wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I'm pleased everyone enjoyed their time here. It's so great to read you made the most of your visit by taking advantage of all our amenities! Thank you for comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2012

How we've grown to love Virginia Beach - a beautiful family-friendly resort full of nice, clean fun!

Our first visit, several years ago, was to a beautiful hotel further downtown, around 31st Street. At that time, we thought there couldn't possibly be anywhere better to situate ourselves, nor more convenient for getting around without having to use our car to go everywhere. That is, until this past visit, when we chose to stay at the Springhill Suites. Hands down, the location is perfect! The 8th Street to 13th Street area, in my estimation, is at the heart of everything anyone could want, particularly restaurants.

Our room was a King Suite on the 12th floor, with a view to die for. We sat on the balcony many times each day watching all the events taking place on the beach and boardwalk. The bed was comfortable, air conditioning in tip-top shape, and furniture relatively modern. Decor was brightly colored and cheery. Bathroom was clean. WiFi/Internet great.

Pools were very convenient and fun. It's nice to know there is an indoor pool available (whether or not you use it....) just in case the weather is bad.

Breakfast was good. There were juices, coffee, tea, fruits, breads, toast, bagels, pastries, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, and make-your-own waffles everyday. Some days there were biscuits-n-gravy, potatoes, and french toast sticks in addition. Newspapers to read while dining. All in all, a nice breakfast experience, available beginning at 06:30 am.

I liked the idea that a counter was set up for 24-hour coffee and tea service. The selection of teas and coffees was exceptional. As we came in and out of the lobby, we frequently grabbed a cup to take with us up to the room (although the room is also equipped with a coffee maker, microwave, and small fridge).

Boardwalk: Fabulous. Although not a wooden boardwalk, as many east coast residents know, this concrete boardwalk is superb, with lighting at night. You would think you were at Venice Beach, California (Really...). It was designed in such a way as to accommodate a bike path, but separated by an island of greenery/shrubs, which is very attractive, both from the boardwalk and the bike lane. The bike lane has people on it from dawn until near midnight (depending upon whether they brought their own bikes with them, not needing to rely upon whether rental places were still open). All day and all night you will see runners, skateboarders, in-line skaters, mommies (and an occasional daddy) jogging behind a baby stroller, etc. And beach vollyball - what fun! The hotel has 9 courts out front on the beach. How fortunate for us that there were local leagues playing almost every night, which was fun to watch.

We always felt safe walking along the boardwalk at night. No shady looking people. No one disorderly, no drunks, no itinerants. No incidents. Just fun, families, and beautiful people. Entertainment everywhere. By the time you are out of ear shot of one band playing somewhere, you are in ear shot of another one, a block or two away.

There are a couple of amusement parks (not huge, but sufficient) for the kids.

Beach: Pristine clean and large. Hats off to Virginia Beach for managing to keep the beach so clean! No debris, not one seashell. (Actually, to our surprise, no bugs, either! Not one mosquito, green-head fly, no-see-em, ants, or bees anywhere during our stay. Perhaps it's because I had already spent $20 on every type of insect repellent made and brought it along, just in case. Ha!) There were no jellyfish there, either, during our stay. Lifeguard/s on duty during the day.

Chair and umbrella rental by Sunrise Beach Services. We rented an umbrella for $15/day. We brought our own chairs with us although, I believe, the rental rate for chairs is $7.50 and up, depending upon type of chair. There are several beach stores located right behind the hotel on Atlantic Avenue, where many people choose to just purchase umbrellas and chairs outright. You can buy a basic chair for about $10-15, umbrellas more. There are also the store-chain beach stores all over Virginia Beach, called "Sunsations," where you can purchase anything else you might need (sunscreen, towels, etc.).

A block down, on the beach, is a fun pirate ship beach playhouse. Kids can be seen playing there day and night.

Bike Rentals: While not available at the hotel, they are located every block or two either along Atlantic Avenue, or along the boardwalk, for about $7/hr. standard bike, although special rates are available. Some places offer buy 1-hour, get 1-hour free deals. Plenty of surrey rentals, which accommodate 2 to 8 people.

Springhill Suites has a lot to offer. My only recommendation would be for housekeeping staff to dust the tables more frequently since whenever you open the sliding doors to the balcony, sand inevidably blows in and settles on table tops.

We hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank llovestotravel
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of all that our area and location has to offer! We appreciate your taking the time to complete a review and hope you will visit us again for your next Virginia Beach vacation.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This place is great! So great I've already planned my next trip back. Great location, good drinks at the pool bar, ice water and coffee available in lobby 24/7. The included breakfast was plentiful. The staff was great, they were quick to respond to any issues. My only complaint is really just a word of caution, apparently they use an outside service for their towels so DON'T give up your used towels until they have fresh ones to give you. We gave in our towels and then had somewhere to get ready to go to and were stuck waiting for clean towels to arrive. The good thing is that the staff really is accommodating, they took my room number down when I called for towels and as soon as they arrived the front desk clerk brought a few up to my room to get us going until housekeeping later came with our full set.
Also, nearby restaurants: stay away from Il Guardino, what a nightmare! Definitely check out Planet Pizza, surprisingly good! And last but not least if you're willing to drive (near the mall) go to Kapalmiya Oriental restaurant, delicious Filipino food, THE place for a good time, karaoke and dancing on the weekend and the owner makes you feel like home! Wish I could have tucked that restaurant in my pocket and brought them home with me!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to inform us about your visit. I am glad to hear you also enjoyed some nightlife. We look forward to seeing you again whenever you are in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed 2 August 2012

We had never visited Virginia Beach before and were very glad we did--especially since we stayed at this hotel. Overall, our experience at the hotel was very pleasant. The outdoor pool was clean and plenty of room to lay-out and enjoy the "fruits" of the Tiki Bar. On that note--big SHOUT OUT to Mark who works the pool area. Great customer service. The free breakfast was O.K. The lines were WAY TOO LONG. As far as the beach itself--not great but if you're looking for a nice getaway and want to stay at a hotel that provides comfort and great ocean views, then this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony--lower floors have larger balcones.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your nice comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate your needs and hope we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again for your next getaway to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We were VERY pleased with SpringHillSuites for our beach vacation! The room was clean, comfortable and well attended -- special shoutout to Vesela!!! All of the staff were pleasant and helpful -- especially the front desk staff. (Loved the "bottomless" supply of Chupa Chups!!!) The location was great and the view from the balcony was lovely. The lobby was spacious and comfortable -- offering a dispenser with ICE-cold water flavored with lemons & oranges was a REALLY nice touch, especially with the 100+ degree heat index that we were experiencing during our stay! Our family really appreciated the breakfast buffet of hot and cold offerings -- it was impressive how well the hotel was able to keep the food stocked! The pools and fitness center were also clean and well attended. Thanks for a great beach vacation!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Thank you so much for the kind feedback on your recent trip. I am glad our staff was accommodating and that you enjoyed the amenities we offer. We hope to see you again for your next Virginia Beach vacation!