“Great Location, Good Value, Clean”

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Its our second visit here, the first being 2 years ago and we still enjoyed the hotel. There was plenty of parking. Check in was swift and we enjoyed the free tea and coffee before heading to our rooms. As far as I can see all the rooms face the ocean. All the staff we encountered, front desk, cleaning and breakfast were very pleasant and appeared happy in there work. The only thing we would say that is in both rooms we remade the beds. They had either been made in a hurry and poorly or they need to upgrade there linen to better fitting products. The mattress cover didn't really fit the bed and neither did the sheet, a sign of shrinkage from too mush washing.
Mahi Mah, is a nice restaurant 2 blocks away and was recommended to us last time we stayed, we did find it overly noisy this time though.
The breakfast has stayed the same, waffles, toast, muffins, fruit, cereal and a hot selection - everything you need.

Room Tip: They all face the sea, what more do you need.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you so much for your return visit! We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and are glad we delivered consistent service. We appreciate your feedback on the sheets and will look into a resolution. We hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you come to Virginia Beach!

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We moved to this hotel from another about 2 blocks away that was awful! This hotel was clean, friendly and priced well. All of the staff, from front desk to our housekeeping staff, Judith, were personable and very accomodating. I thought I was being stupid when the coffee maker in the room didn't work properly...Judith noticed while cleaning the room and had the machine replaced! Great place!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paula B
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you so very much for your kind comments. I am proud to hear that Judith made a positive difference in your stay. She will be recognized for her efforts. We look forward to the next time you can visit us in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I along with another couple decided we needed a weekend away from home to re charge after the horrible winter weather. We needed someplace in driving distance and decided on Virginia Beach. Our friends had frequent user points for Marriott so he offered to book the rooms. We had been to Virginia Beach many times, but had never stayed at SpringHill Suites. It was a very pleasant experience. Check in was effortless and the beautiful ocean front view was spectacular. The room was large and comfortable complete with two flat screen tvs, microwave and refrigerator.. The indoor pool area included a large tot tub which was clean and hot, very relaxing. The complementary breakfast was excellent. Hot, fresh eggs, sausage, gravy and waffles were available as well as yogurts, biscuits, fruit, juices, etc. A coffee bar is available all day. Over all I would highly recommend this hotel. The only suggestion I would make would be for them to upgrade the carpet throughout as it is very dated looking and brash. The weather was not great but with the ocean only steps away it didn't matter! Also several places to eat and shop within walking distance. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linda B
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you so very much for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate your needs and hope we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again for your next getaway to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'm not sure what happened to this once nice, well run hotel, but current management seems to have ruined it. What a disappointment.

I stay in well over 100 hotels a year, many of which are Marriott properties. My stating this property is a colossal disappointment is an opinion backed by experience.

The hotel is in the process of a renovation. THE DRAPES DON'T MATCH THE CARPET! That's not a euphemism. That's a sad fact. You will spend your stay wondering how such a thing could happen in what must be a multi-million dollar renovation. It's a tip off for how this hotel operates. The staff seems not to communicate with coworkers, and they seem to not know how to communicate the truth. The end result? The carpet is deep, royal blue and crimson, while the drapes are pastel tan and light blue. The drapes don't match the carpet.

I asked for a feather free room. This is in my profile. Marriott communicates this in no uncertain terms to hotels prior to my checking in. I call ahead of time. Since I was arriving late, I called the desk that evening and asked the clerk to double check. I emphasized that he should do it personally, and not pawn it off on someone else, which he promised to do. He also said it was noted as being done in my blocked room. When I checked in, this man crowed about having checked himself. Of course, it was not feather free. When I called the desk, suddenly he was blaming the person he asked to do this! When I checked in, he told me he did it himself. Which was true? Does it matter? One was a lie. As was word of the housekeeper who obviously said she did this, the housekeeping manager who couldn't be bothered to check but said it was done, etc.

The manager asked the next day what could be done to "make up" for the mistake. Clueless. Unless she has a time machine, how is she going to make up for my lost sleep while I had to deal with this after midnight? I had only a few hours to sleep. How can she make up for her incompetence taking some of that away? Rather than taking the initiative to make sure it was done, she seems to think she can just throw free stuff afterwards. It explains the attitude of her employees. BTW - I declined the free stuff she was trying to throw my way. That does NOTHING towards correcting the mistake.

If they cannot accomplish something so simple, yet, with a straight face, claim it was done, what else are they so cavalier about? Are the rooms really cleaned? Is the food really handled safely?

There are other choices in Va Beach. Both Courtyards are beachfront, and the Hilton is a very nice hotel. There really is no reason to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank CJKatl
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. I surely understand your frustration with the issues you encountered during your time with us. Please know that your comments were addressed with our team at the time you brought them to our attention for improvement. I can assure you that this is not the type of service we strive to provide. We do value you as a guest and we always make sure we address all problems guest unfortunately experience. Again, we regret that your stay was not up to your expectations and apologize that we disappointed you. We wish you the best in your future travels.

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself was nothing special. Old worn and stained furniture and carpets. My floor was wet the day I checked out so the sliding door or AC was leaking. What saved this trip was the hotel staff. They were great. From my initial check in to check out they were wonderful. I would stay here again just because of them.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Larry T
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent trip. I am glad our staff was accommodating during your stay. I do apologize that you experienced issues with the furniture in your guestroom, I assure you we are working on solutions for such matters. We look forward to your visiting again the next time you are in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We recently stayed in a king suite and had a good experience. The rooms are in desperate need of updating, which they are in the process of completing, but the location is very good. We knew they had already started the updates on the higher floors and had hoped to be able to stay in a "new" room but were told we could not. We were on the 5th floor and the mattress, pillows and towels are very old and definitely need to be changed! The staff was very courteous and the buffet breakfast had some good choices. The pool and hot tub area has already been updated and was very well done. The gym has also been updated and has some good equipment the only complaint is they have the equipment facing into the hall instead of out at the beach view! It would be so much better if they turned the equipment around and made "rows" so you can see the water. Overall it was a decent experience.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean so you will always have a great view! The 2nd floor rooms have a huge balc...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank goingbeachy
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share some of your thoughts about your stay with us. We appreciate all your feedback and will use it to improve our service levels going forward. If you are ever back in the area we hope to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The suite was extra clean and quiet. Housekeepers Judith and Tequila were excellent service providers. The staff was very professional. The lobby was very clean. The gym was very sanitized, as was the pool room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 757Wendi

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the kind words about our staff. We are glad that you had such an extraordinary stay with us while you were visiting the Virginia Beach area. We are lucky to have people like Judith and Tequila on our team to provide the kind of service that we strive for. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.