“Fantastic hotel on the beach”

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Indianapolis
“Fantastic hotel on the beach”
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Was there for work from 03/31/09 - 04/05/09 and was just WOWED by this hotel. The hotel is right on the beach and also has a free parking lot attached to the hotel. This was off season so the crowds may not have been an indication of a normal week in July but the hotel didn't seem crowded at all.
Breakfast was good and had lots of choices and even though I went early it was setup and everything was hot.
Room 1401 (really 1301 - they don't use 13th floor)) was on the top floor and had terrific views of the beach and the Atlantic Ocean.
Just cannot emphasis how great this hotel was for a vacation spot.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank bowdenj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Virginia
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Just returned from a wonderful 3 nights at this hotel. Our reservations were originally for 2 nights, but we loved the hotel and were having a great time, and added another night.

Check in was easy, and we got in early, at apprx. 1 p.m. I requested the 2nd floor, because of the HUGE balcony, and that's what I got. We had the bigger suite and it was very nice. The bedroom area had 2 queen beds, dresser, closet, tv. The beds were very comfy and had more than enough pillows.

The separate liviing area had a dresser/tv, pull out sofa, desk, table with 4 chairs and wet bar area. All of the furnishings were modern, bright and clean.

The microwave was behind the cabinet doors, but they were kind of a smoky glass type, so you could clearly see that the micro was in there. The bathroom had the curved shower curtain rod and there was another vanity/sink area just outside the bathroom. I used that one most of the time and my mom and kids used the other one, inside the bathroom. Large full length mirror also in this area.

The hair dryer was in a bag, hanging inside the closet. We couldn't find it at first, but once we looked, there it was.

The breakfast every morning was great. There was more than enough to choose from. There were 4 waffle makers, sausage, biscuits, eggs, donuts, bagels, muffins, yogurt, fruit.

The indoor pool was very nice and the kids loved it. It was warm and there were plenty of towels. The workout room looked well equipped, although we did not use it. There were plenty of towels in there also, as well as a tv.

Outdoor pool was open, but too cold during our stay to use it. They were also just opening up the outdoor grill, which they advised would have limited hours, this early in the season. It looked like it would be really nice, had it been warmer weather.

There were 3 or so computers in the lobby area to use. Used it once to check my email. The high speed was very fast.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, loved our room, loved everything really. I spent ALOT of time researching hotels, before settling on this one and I am SO glad that I picked it.

If anyone has any questions about something I didn't cover, just message me.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MsBrownie
Delaware
Reviewed 7 April 2009

I am a Marriott Rewards member and have stayed at numerous Marriott chains over the years and have always been more than pleased with our stays. However, after our stay at this hotel, it is hard to believe they are connected to the Marriott name. We booked a 1 bedroom suite for 2 nights. The front desk was very courteous and welcomed me as a member and told me that our room wasnt cleaned yet, so they were moving us to one of their nicer rooms. If that was true, I would hate to see the other! The room was spacious, however, there was dried toothpaste in the sink and on the walls of the shower. There were birthday hats stuck in the fake tree in the Living Rm area apparently left by the previous guests. No trash cans in the bathroom or bedroom. However, the most disgusting finding was the hairs on the sheets on the bed as well as stains on the pillow cases. It was obvious the room was not clean and the bed was absolutely disgusting. If I would have had the time, I would have changed hotels, however we had to attend an event early in the day and did not have time to leave and find another hotel. I expressed my disgust and dissastifaction with the manager on duty who did apologize and credited us for the room and said they would provide us with a new room and that he would speak to the head of housekeeping and inspect the new room himself before we moved to it. When we arrived back to the hotel later, he was no longer on duty but the keys to the new room were waiting for us at the front desk. We moved to the new room hoping for the best. However, it is obvious their housekeeping is very lacking. The new room was not much cleaner. There were stickers on the wall, apparently left from a previous guest because they were from a retail store advertising "buy one get 50% off"! There were crushed crackers all on the floor under the tables in the Living Rm, the towels were old and ratty with yellow stains on them. They definitely need to improve their housekeeping and have staff that check these rooms prior to check in. I still get disgusted just thinking about the dirty sheets and towels. Oh, and if you are looking for the hairdryer, apparently it is hanging in a bag in the closet in the bathroom! I never found it, but the mgr advised me that was where they keep them. I would have not thought to look in the closet and suggested they might want to leave a note to guests where to find such ammenities. Also there is a microwave in the room, but you wont find that either unless you open up the cabinet doors! I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank emmilou05
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Just completed a four night stay (Wed. thru Sun.) This is a very nice, new hotel. The staff was great. Check in was a breeze. Throughout our stay any request we had was fulfilled right away. We had a fully equipped suite with separate BR, bath, dressing rm, living and dining areas with kitchen. My teenagers loved the modern decor, especially the sectional sofa. The beds were very firm with lots of pillows and high quality linens. Every thing in our suite was clean and worked the way it was supposed to (I can't remember the last time that happened). The Wi-Fi service is complimentary. We really appreciated that, even though it became unbearably slow when the hotel filled up for the weekend. The hot breakfast buffet was very good. The menu never changed, but the selections were so plentiful that it didn't really matter. We figure the free buffet probably saved our family at least $40 a day. The food was as good or better than we would have expected from the surrounding restaurants. The staff keeps thermal servers full of good regular and decaf coffees, as well as hot water for a wide variety of teas ready for guests 24/7. The free parking was always convenient in the hotel's own multi-story garage. We did not use the indoor pool but it looked very inviting. The well equipped fitness room never closes to guests. The wall mounted HDTV made the workouts more enjoyable.

I would not call this a luxury hotel. But the Springhill has gone to great lengths to see that all your needs are met. They really make you comfortable. The fantastic off peak rate that we got from Springhill was a value that cannot be beaten. My family wants to make a stay here an annual tradition.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2009

My family and I went there in September of 2008 for 4 nights and 3 days. We had made our reservation and I had requested a 2nd floor room for the large balcony i had heard about. We got that room on the 2nd floor, and the balcony was huge! Enough room for a table, a few chairs, bike storage and a few kids running around.

We got to the hotel about midnight and check in was quick and easy. Parking was good-an attached parking garage that was 4 or 5 stories high, but not that long. I dont know how good parking would be in busy season, but in early September, it was easy to find a space every time we needed it. I opened the door to the balcony to hear the ocean and noticed the carpet was wet. Didnt think much of it until the next morning, when the carpet was soaked and the towels we put down were soaked, too. Some pipe was leaking, and we had to move to another room-no longer a second story one. :(

we had a 2 queen suite-the beds were large and comfortable. the living room area had a fold out couch big enough for 3 kids, a flat screen TV and a desk. the mini kitchen area needed a bigger refridgerator-this one looked like a tiny one you have in college dorms. 1 bottle of water provided. the balcony was awesome, even if smaller, and the views were amazing. CLose enough to the ocean that you coudl easily hear it while laying in bed.

Very colorful and bright throughout. Large lobby with chairs to overlook the ocean. Breakfast buffet-free!-with many choices from cereal, to sausage, to eggs, to pastries to fruit, yogurt and a waffle maker. Though, if we went in prime season i'd imagine it woudl be hard to find somewhere to sit in the lobby! It is large, but not enough seats for everyone to eat. The staff was great and when my kid wanted a cereal they didnt have out, went and got it for him.

The indoor pool was also very colorful and nice. Some sand in it, but I guess that is to be expected. Must use room keycard to enter pool. To get to bathrooms from pool, you have to exit the pool area, and walk around a corner. Not too convenient when you are the only adult with 3 kids. Many lounge chairs, a table and chairs, and a hot tub all in same area. towels provided-no lifeguard, though. Not a diving pool, the deepest area wasn't over 5 feet.

To get from the hotel to the beach, there were 2 or 3 entrances from the lobby area directly to the boardwalk and a mere few feet from the beach. Keycard also required to get back in.

Out front of the hotel was an awesome pizza restaurant (Planet Pizza), a subway with Dippin Dots, and several souvenier shops. Many, many shopping opportunities nearby. A water park nearby-though closed in September. an amusement park down nearby, but it looked kind of shady. The boardwalk-3 miles of walking, biking, running, skating, etc by the beach. Loved it. Several places to rent bikes or surreys-I have never seen as many bikes around as I saw in Virginia Beach. There was also a playground on the beach right near the hotel. Pier nearby, too, for walking or fishing (that cost money).

3 computers with internet access in lobby of hotel, small snack shop by the front desk, outdoor pool was beside the hotel, and had a bar/some food available for a bit of a hefty price, but they would tack it on your room bill-also only availabe to guests of the hotel. Several sand rinsing stations right near hotel, too. Washer and dryer on an upper floor, with detergent available for purchase.

Overall, it was a really nice place to stay and we would gladly do it again.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank camclarissa
Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend. I spent several days reading hotel reviews for Virginia Beach prior to booking at Springhill Suites, but I am so glad that I did! After a disappointing night in Williamburg, this hotel was just what we needed. The location on the beach was perfect. The rooms were clean and very well appointed. We loved the fact that all of the rooms are oceanfront. We could sit in bed with the windows open to the water and felt like we were on a cruise. I thought that the hotel service was excellent. The hot breakfast buffet in the morning was great as well.

My only reservation about the entire experience was that we didn't care for Virginia Beach AT ALL. So, I am probably not likely to return to the hotel. However, if I could transplant this hotel to another city, I think I would become a frequent visitor!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kutschie22
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 31 January 2009

We had a great stay. Breakfast was plentiful and hot. The entire hotel and room were beautifully decorated. Staff was extremely friendly.

Stayed December 2008