“The only place we will ever stay at VA Beach!”

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Travelling with teenagers, I wanted to find a place oceanfront and on the boardwalk to make it fun for them - this place was it! We had the Queen suite, a fairly large space (780 sq ft) with the sitting area separate from the bedroom. I had at first made a reservation at the sister hotel of the Fairfield Inn because it was closer to the Beach Street area of 17th - 25th street. (Nighttime along that strip is full of fun things - concerts, magicians, etc). I am so glad that I changed to the SpringHill suites as our room was larger and only cost a little more (500 sq ft compared to our 780 sq ft, $345 at Fairlfield, and $349 at SpringHill). Also, the beach was much less crowded. From our balcony, I could see the beginning of the Beach Street area which is next to the Virginia Beach pier, and it was definitely more crowded there than where we were on 9th street. My teenagers loved it and didn't mind the walk to get up to Beach Street area.
Prior to making my reservation, I read previous reviews and I concurr with some items - such as the breakfast buffet was absolutely fabulous! Included were make-your-own waffles (complete with whipped cream!), sausage, grits, eggs, yogurt, fruit, cereal, biscuits, etc. All of this is included in the price of the room. I will also concurr that the line was very long for breakfast if you try to eat from about 8:30 - 10:00. I had no trouble getting food at 7:45, and I noticed no line at about 10:15 (breakfast lasted from 6:30 - 10:30). Food was plentiful and constantly stocked so even at 10:15 nothing was lacking. Another previous review said the coffee pot in the lobby was empty at times, but that did not seem to be an issue during our stay. I was also especially pleased to see lemon packets to go along with the many varieties of tea.
The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Although we got there 3 hours prior to check in time, they gave us pool passes so that we could use the pool, and gave us the parking pass so that we could park. They also took my cell phone number so they could call us when our room was ready.
It may have been a little pricey to some, but all-in-all it was definitely worth it! and in all honesty, I believe you get what you pay for. Sure, we could have gotten a cheaper hotel and a cheaper room, but I honestly don't believe our stay would have been nearly as fabulous.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 4 August 2009

Stayed here recently over the weekend. Great location at one of the most accessible family friendly beaches in the United States. When you first arrive, the parking garage is in front of the hotel with no real designated area for check-in parking. Inconvenient, but able to work around it though. Obviously a very popular and busy hotel, especially for families with children. Not your romantic getaway, at least not on summer weekends. Also very expensive as most hotels on the Virginia Beach oceanfront are, at over $300/night.
First the good:
-Relatively new hotel, very colorful interior and just looks like a nice place to stay from the outside
-No kidding right on the beach and boardwalk, couldn't get much closer
-The breakfast buffet is really great, more than you would expect from an included continental breakfast. Don't miss the chocolate waffles!
-The outside pool was great with a bar and live music. Also right on the beach. Could've spent hours there.
-Rooms were very clean, no issues at all. Not going to blow your mind, but adequate. Great water pressure in the shower.
-There is plenty to do at the hotel and in the immediate surrounding area to keep you and your family busy for days. Definitely a fun hotel and location.

And then the not so good/bad:
-The beds/mattresses are among the worst I've ever experienced. Unless you like extremely firm uncomfortable mattresses, this is a dealbreaker.
-The indoor pool was surprisingly enough too cold to really use comfortably. Also pretty mirky by 8 or 9 at night due to all the sand carryover, I'm assuming.
-The room/exterior entrance/pool door/elevator card readers usually required at least three swipes of your card before you got the green light. Minor annoyance, but after the 10th time...well you know.
-The room balconies are only three feet from sliding glass door to railing, which was primarily constructed of plastic. I'm sure it was very safe, but sure didn't feel like it with children around.
-Rooms only had very limited basic local cable for viewing. No on-demand or pay per view. Also no channel guide in the room.

So I can't recommend this hotel due to the beds. There's not much sense in staying at hotel where you can't get a decent nights sleep. Definitely a fun location though, the hotel staff was very friendly and a very nice property overall.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We stayed here one night as a "beach getaway" during our Williamsburg vacation. Overall we enjoyed our stay. For one night, the two queen suite was adequate, but any longer may have felt cramped for the 4 of us. Compared to our 2 bedroom unit at Wyndham Kingsgate, it was much smaller (normal hotel room). We arrived around 2 pm. Parking was a breeze. We skipped the free valet and parked it ourselves very close to the entrance. Our room was not ready, so we went out to enjoy the beach. At about 3 pm, they called my cell to let us know our room was available. Not bad considering check-in is after 4. The room was nicely furnished though and clean. We were on the 12th floor, and could way out into the ocean, but still hear the waves crashing as well all night long. Balconies are small, but adequate. The night we were there they had fireworks really close to the hotel (off the pier) and it was the perfect setting on our balcony watching the fireworks. Breakfast was good, not great like I have read on Tripadvisor. But it is also free (well, included), so you can't complain. There was a fairly long line for breakfast, but we expected that. Elevator service was quick and efficient. We never waited long going up or down. We picked the location for the outdoor pool, since so many hotels in Virginia Beach only have indoor pools, and our girls usually last an hour or so in the ocean, and then complain about the salt water. The pool was nice, with a nice pool bar that had smoothies that the girls loved! They enjoyed sitting in the hot tub drinking their smoothies, relaxing. I expected the pool area to be more lively though. The night we were there they had what they described as a steel drum band. Well, it was really two people almost doing karaoke (they did play a steel drum though along with the taped recording). It just didn't compare to our local high school steel drum band, which I guess is what we thought it would be like. Plus, no one was there. They actually quit early. We were hoping for more of a partying scene (family style though). We enjoyed walking on the beach in the evening a lot, and enjoyed the area. There are tons of places to eat within walking distance. We rented an umbrella and beach chairs right in front of the hotel, I think $36 for two chairs and an umbrella. High, but worth it. We ate someplace called Laverne's and were happy with our meals. They actually charge to walk out onto the long pier, so we skipped it as a small form of protest!! Reading reports on Tripadvisor, many reviews don't describe Virginia Beach as someplace we would go back too. But we definitely would. However, I think we would go for someplace with more of a timeshare set-up (kitchen, separate bedrooms, more space). We paid with Marriott points (which I felt was reasonable 25,000), but I felt the cash rate for the room was a little high (but it was summer, peak travel time). Not sure if I thought the room was worth $270.00 a night.

Reviewed 29 July 2009

We had made a reservation at another hotel not on the beach, but after seeing how far we'd have to walk to get to the beach, we decided to see if we could get a reasonable rate at the SpringHill Suites. My husband was able to get $100 a night taken off their rate and we decided to stay there and cancel our previous reservation. We stayed 6 awesome nights. The balcony was a nice size and we had a wonderful view of the Atlantic Ocean. The only complaint we had about the hotel was that housekeeping didn't do a great job cleaning the bathroom floor or supply clean towels on a regular basis. However service from the front desk and rest of the staff was excellent. The hotel is very colorful and the free daily breakfast buffet was delicious. We would recommend this hotel very highly!

Reviewed 26 July 2009

After a long road trip, we were pleased the moment we entered the lobby. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. The room was comfortable and spacious, and the oceanfront view was enough to keep me on the balcony whenever we were in our room. The complimentary breakfast and parking are a big plus! The boardwalk and beach were amazing. TAnd since we have a little one who goes to bed early, we loved that the noise level on the boardwalk was kept to a minimum....and he peacefully slept through the night. It was such an awesome trip, we are looking forward to visiting this hotel again!

Reviewed 24 July 2009

This was the 2nd year that we stayed at the Springhill Suites. It was just as nice as last year. We were able to check in early (before 2pm). The breakfast was great and the attendants were very nice...always saying good morning and making sure the food was hot and plenty. The front desk personnel couldn't be more nice and helpful with suggesting restaurants. The vallet attendants were exceptional!! I really liked that the maintenance people kept the floor mopped and dry coming in the door from the beach and indoor pool. The rooms were clean and had plenty of extra towels available. I do wish that the balcony door had a screen though. I didn't notice any bugs even with the door open for extended periods of time. We were on a high floor and next year will try a lower floor to get a better view of the boardwalk. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

Reviewed 20 July 2009

As most all other reviewers, we had a great experience! Our only complaint (and I know I'm not OFFICIALLY allowed to complain about this) is that we couldnt check in early. Due to our travels, we were there very early on our morning of check in and although the staff was very courteous and put us on a "call list" for when our room was open, it wasnt until after 2pm that we got a room. Additionally, we were put in a "corner suite"- the end of the hall- and the bedoom had a window only- not a balcony as advertised. All in all however, the experience was great. The pools were lovely and so were the rooms. We loved that the bathroom was accessible from the "family room" as well as the bedroom. We were so excited that we found such a nice place at Virginia Beach!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
SHSVBOAGM, Assistant General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2009

Thank you for the positive comments regarding our hotel and staff! Our goal is to make sure every guest who stays with us enjoys their visit to Virginia Beach as much as possible.

We always try our best to get our early-arriving guests into their rooms as quickly as possible. Unfortunately during the summer months this can be a little more challenging, as the hotel runs 100% occupied almost every night. For any of our guests who arrive early and are unable to check into their room early, we always provide parking passes and pool passes so you can start enjoying the hotel’s facilities right away.

Also of note are the balconies with our one-bedroom suites. We have three one-bedroom suites per floor, with one room being at each end of the hallways, and one room being in the middle of the floor. The corner suites do have balconies, but the balcony is off the living room area of the room, not the bedroom. The one-bedroom suites in the center of the building have balconies off both the bedroom and the living room area of the room. In summertime the demand for all of our rooms is very high, but if you have a preference for which room you would rather have, please call our hotel directly so we can make notes on your reservation. While we can’t guarantee that all requests will be met, I can assure you that our staff is actively managing the incoming arrivals and outgoing departures of the hotel to meet as many requests as possible.

We know that your room at the SpringHill Suites becomes your “home” for the week, and we want to make sure we do everything we can to make it as comfortable as possible while you are with us.

Christopher Thiele