“Exceeded our expectations”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Leesburg
“Exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

Just returned from a 3 night stay with my husband and two young daughters (aged 3 and 1) and we loved this hotel!

Room: W e stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 8th floor which was perfect for our needs when traveling with young kids. The suite had a separate bedroom, kitchenette with mini fridge and microwave (which we used for quick lunches before naptime), dining room table with 4 chairs, 2 TVs (with all the standard cable channels you would expect), and pullout couch in living room. I preferred staying on the higher floors to minimize the street noise late at night and to maximize the excellent ocean views. The room still seemed in fairly new condition to me and I am pretty picky. The free wi fi was slow but at least it was free!

Service: Excellent from front desk to valet to housekeeping. All our requests were met in a timely fashion and with a smile. We usually stay in fairly high end hotels and we were surprised that our service here exceeded some we have received at 5 star resorts!

Location: Located at a less crowded, less noisy end of the beach within walking distance to many restaurants (we went to Planet Pizza and Mahi Mahs). The wide beach and clean boardwalk were both literally right in front of the hotel and there was also a children's playground on the beach that my kids absolutely loved. There is a store to buy milk and rent family bikes (so much fun!) just across the street from the hotel. I would say this was the perfect location for families with young kids.

Housekeeping: Always had plenty of towels and room was cleaned promptly every morning as requested. Again, I am pretty picky about cleanliness and I had no major complaints. Of course, I did not expect large fluffy robes and turn down service at this type of hotel either.

Pools: Never used the outdoor pool since the weather was too cool but used the indoor pool daily. I know previous reviewers have complained that the indoor pool was too cold but that was not the case for us. I guess hotel management must have responded to these reviews by heating the pool because it was like bath water and we enjoyed using it after playing at the beach all morning. We were the only ones there every time we went so we definitely did not have to fight for chairs or towels.

Food: Never ordered room service but did partake in the complimentary breakfast buffet daily. This was another convenient feature to the hotel, especially when traveling with kids. Food was standard breakfast fare, nothing gourmet but a wide selection of hot and cold foods and plenty of it. It was a great way to fill up and start the day. The only thing missing was whole milk for my one year old...only had skim and 2%.

We had a great time at Virginia beach and at this hotel. Of course it didn't hurt that we had perfect weather and traveled during off season to beat the crowds. We usually travel to the Caribbean and other tropical locations but we wanted a quick long weekend getaway from Northern Virginia. We were very pleasantly surprised and certainly plan on returning next year.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

We chose the Springhill Suites as we wanted a hotel with an outdoor pool (some don't have this) for some R&R during a holiday in Virginia and Maryland. While the rooms are a good size, the balcony is tiny. The decor is also very bright - maybe to give the impression of sea, sand and sky. The bedding was certainly not "luxury bedding - crisp linens, fluffier pillows" as detailed on the hotel fact sheet. On our first morning after walking along the sea front we returned to have a quick sandwich prior to going to the pool. Our room had not been made up at this point. We put our "do not disturb" sign on the door, ate our lunch, got changed and went to the pool - maximum of 30 minutes. On our return at 5 p.m. our room had still not been made up but a bag of towels, toiletries etc. were hanging on the door. When I phoned the front desk I was told housekeeping had finished and if I required fresh sheets I could have them but would have to change the bed myself!! I was sent up one fitted bottom sheet - single size, our bed was king size and no top sheets but 9 pillowcases!!! I phoned again and was then brought up a king size fitted sheet and one top sheet. I eventually got a further sheet, they were old sheets with frayed edges and one looked more like a curtain than a sheet. The towels were also "grey" and in fact there were a couple I would not use as they looked dirty. The bathroom floor was not swept or cleaned in our four days stay. One of our pillows didn't even have a pillowcase and this remained like this throughout our stay. We also had someone trying to get in to our room - they had just checked in and had been given keycards and a card with our room number on it - although the cards didn't work fortunately. In my view the hotel is tired and requires upgrading and improvements to housekeeping and cleanliness . On the plus side having a buffet breakfast was handy.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amaroneUk
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

Our first time going to Virginia Beach and with reservations about it we were totally surprise at what a great hotel and resort area it was! We usually vaca abroad so we didn't get our hopes up. Front desk clerk Nia was the best, from the questions she answers over the phone before I arrived, to helping us find a restaurant for dinner when I was standing in front of her. In an age where customer service is dead she really made me feel happy about this hotel.

The beach view from the room was amazing! The colorful decor was great and looked new. Two TVs in the room and a pull out sofa bed was great for us because he had a 10 yr. old. Mini fridge and Microwave came in handy for snacks. Room space was a little small but enough for 2 adults and 2 children.

We ate at Pizza Planet a few times which was right across the street from the hotel. They had burgers and Subs as well as pizza. The seafood buffets were kind of expensive. $30.00 bucks a person and were just okay. Only good if you can eat a lot. Had dinner at Lavern’s a block away from the hotel. The food good best to go before 5pm to get the early bird specials.

Indoor and outdoor pools very family oriented. Both pools have a Jacuzzi. I spent lots of time there! The beach was just right out of the hotel lobby door. Close enough that you could go back to your hotel room quickly if you forgot something. A few times I went to the room gathered up lunch and brought it down to the beach. They keep the lobby floor dry from beach traffic with blowers.

Free parking!! Free breakfast and not just muffins real breakfast! Eggs, sausage, grits, waffles! Free coffee, tea and hot choc. all day long in the lobby. A mini store in the lobby and computers to use. Rooms have internet access as well. In the room when you arrive you will receive one comp. water. We thought it was a few but only one.

We plan on returning next summer with extended family. Yeah for Springhill Suites!! Thanks for a great vacation!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

We booked this hotel since it was oceanfront and had refrigerators. We have infant twin girls and needed a larger room with a refrigerator. We stayed on the second floor which was perfect. The balcony was extra large, like a terrace and I could take the children out there in their stroller. The only down side is the rude smokers from above tossing cigarettes everywhere and feeding the birds. The hotel can't help it that these guests have no common sense or manners. The hotel is non-smoking.

They have a good free breakfast buffet. Actually better than the Courtyard we were at a few days earlier. I was surprised since this is a lower tier Marriott brand.

They have valet parking which was fast and great! Also this was included in the room rate.

We found Virginia beach to be family friendly and loved walking the girls on the boardwalk. Several places close by to have dinner. I liked Waterman's the best. Mahi Mah's was a bit too loud for small children.

I had a laundry emergency with the children and the front desk was helpful. They even gave me free Tide! And more towels to wrap up the girls. Charity at the front desk is just super. Excellent customer service from her everyday!

The hotel is about 2 years old and is still new feeling. The maids don't do a very deep cleaning like I expect. The carpet in our room had two stains on it. Obvious coffee spills from the previous guest. I got these up with a little water and Tide. It's obvious that the maid didn't try anything. I'm a bit picky on the cleaning.

Oh and we loved the free wi-fi and computers in the lobby. (Lobby pcs have facebook and other social network blocked out so people won't hang there for hours.)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ms_obvious
WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

This was my 2nd visit at Sprighill Suites. We choose to go in Sept as the rates are down and during the summer months, we probably couldn't afford to stay there.
I love this motel so much I am willing to wait until Sept to go on vacation. For one thing, it is such a pretty motel-everything so nice and bright. Staff is very nice and breakfast is also very good. We like staying at that end of the beach too. Highly recommend it.

Stayed September 2009
1 Thank sally1234Wv
Philadelphia, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

We stayed at three different hotels in Virginia Beach this past week, to maximize our Marriott and Holiday Inn points, at the Spring Hill Suites was by far the best one we stayed at. The staff was more then accomodating to our ever need. We arrived early and the room wasn't ready but they took our cell number, gave us a lobby key and within 15 minutes they called to let us know the room was ready. If you stay here request a room on the second floor. The balconies are about 10x larger on this floor giving the feeling that your room is twice as large. When we got into our room we found the small refrigerator was not working. I called the front desk and within 10 minutes they were wheeling a new fridge, that was already cold, into the room.

The breakfast was one of the best free buffets I had ever eaten at. The kids loved that there were 4 different waffle makers to choose from including a bear shaped maker. Not only could you make regular waffes but they had chocolate waffle mix available also plus loads of whipped cream.

The breakfast lasted until 10:30 and even though it was difficult to find a seat during the busy time (9:30-10:00) we alway found available seating since the turn-over is quick.

We never tried the outdoor pool since the weather was perfect for the beach but when we walked past it it looked very nice.

The breakfast was even better when you compare it to the Fairfield Inn we stayed during our stay. Nothing but reheated "eggs" at that hotel.

All in all this was a wonderful place to stay and would recommend it to all.

1 Thank skgdsm
Fowler, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

Yes you will pay a little more to stay at this hotel ...but it is so worth it. We had not been to Virginia Beach for 20 years but decided to try it again. So we stayed from Aug16th to the 21st at this hotel. Much to our surprise the beach and the surrounding boardwalk was so much cleaner than we remembered. Spring Hill suites we felt went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We stayed in a queen suite and found that we had enough room for a family of 4 adults and a 3 year old. The price of the room was $300 per night with the AAA discount thats with tax. The balcony view from the 5th floor was wonderful. We got up early and went to the breakfast that had everything hot and cold a person could want with a staff that was very pleasant. If you go before 8am you will not have to stand in line. We then would bring a cup of coffee back to the room and watched thedolfins from our balcony as the others slept.
The Hotel staff was absolutely wonderful from check in to check out. They really went out of their way to be helpful. We got to know alot of them by their first name. I couln't help but notice how the housekeeping employees worked very hard to keep the hotel and grounds very clean. We even saw one employee cleaning the corners of the lobby and the crevices around the indoor pool. Little details make a difference.

The outdoor pool was very nice however it got very crowded in the afternoon as did the beach. The beach club restraunt there had good food and great drinks however a little pricey. The indoor pool was not as crowed in the afternoon and was a nice change of pace to get out of the sun.

We loved the 4 person bikes that you could rent which cost $20 for 2 hours. We rented one and rode up and down the boardwalk stopping to take pictures at the King Neptune's statue, Our little 3 year old loved the amusement park (within walking distance for the hotel) . The price of tickets were $1 and most of the rides took 3 tickets to ride. She just thought it was great ....there was also a nice play ground next to the hotel on the beach. we were there almost every night. On Sunday nights and Wed. nights you can watch fireworks over the ocean from the balconey. We loved it.

We plan to definately return to this hotel...it is the nicest place on the beach!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
SHSVBOAGM, Assistant General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 4 September 2009
Thank you for posting such nice comments about our hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We try hard to make sure every guest who stays with us has a great experience, and I’m happy we were able to meet your expectations.

Keeping the hotel clean and sand-free in the summer is a never-ending job, and we are lucky to have a staff of dedicated housemen who work hard to make sure the hotel stays looking great throughout the day. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them.