“Oceanfront rooms with gorgeous view at good price.”

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We had a king suite, one sofa bed and a king for my husband and me and our 2-year old who loved the pullout bed. Away from the noisy Hilton and bands. We enjoyed the morning breakfast buffet and felt the room was very pleasant. View was gorgeous! Nice and quiet. freidnly staff. Super easy parking on ground level every time. Loved using the pool and spa as well.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed 3 November 2009

Where to begin? Free internet access (that never dropped), free breakfast (including eggs, biscuits, make your own waffles, sausage, hash browns, Activia yogurt, multiple juices and milks, oatmeal, granola, fresh fruit,etc), free laundry soap and dryer sheets (2 commercial washers/dryers that only cost 1$), room service in the evenings for those days you are just wiped out (with reasonable prices and decent quality), every room has a balcony that faces the beach, kitchenette in every room (with refrigerator, microwave and kitchen sink), two bathroom sinks (may have just been in the one bedroom) with one in the shower/toilet area and a separate one outside the bathroom, a large sofa with chaise (we didn't use it but the couch had a pull out bed), an indoor pool and hot tub that we used daily.

We have a 2.5 year old so the separate bedroom was fantastic for naps and at night when we wanted to stay up later.

Across the street is a convenience store for necessities and the owner was very nice (he even gave our daughter a free backpack!) There are also apparel/gear stores across the street for cheap beach toys and flipflops.

The weather in Virginia Beach was crazy during the week we stayed there (the week before Halloween). There were days when you could wear your bathing suit on the beach (the water is VERY cold though :) and other days when you needed a heavy jacket. We loved the diversity but it means you have to pack for it (which is why I had to buy flipflops!)

All in all - if I ever go back to Virginia Beach I would only stay here - the value is unbelievable (we paid 139$/night) and the staff were amazing - all very friendly and very helpful.

For restaurants in the area I would suggest:
Big Sams Inlet (we ended up eating here many times over the week - great deals between 3-7pm and the food was fantastic)
Ammos Greek Restaurant (traditional Greek food that is good if a little expensive)

We also tried The Black Angus and Il Giardino and weren't impressed with either (you don't get what you pay for).

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Stayed one night during an east coast road trip. This stop was a last-minute decision so we didn't have a lot of time to spend there. It was Halloween, so obviously wasn't the high season, but it was beautiful nonetheless. We got a suite, which isn't two rooms, but does have a partial wall to divide the sleeping area from the small sofa and TV, plus the microwave and fridge kitchenette was nice. Large balcony with a table and chairs which we used to eat our pizza while watching the ocean. It was probably more expensive than some of the other hotels in the area, but I prefer to stick with quality I know, so I'm happy with the choice. And the breakfast was amazing! Scrambled eggs and sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, waffles, plus cold selections like fresh fruit, muffins, etc. The staff was helpful. I would definitely return when in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mvnomis
Reviewed 31 October 2009

What a pleasant vacation! We selected this hotel after weeks of researching reviews and comments in every forum, and then analyzing the cost/benefit etc. And we are glad that we did. For the benefit of readers, I will write my comments in a structured manner. Enjoy!

Arrival/allocation: This can be improved a bit. There seems to be a lack of co-ordination between front-office and housekeeping. We had to wait beyond the check-in time, and then they had to hurry through the room setup. But the job was well done and Chris personally dropped by to say sorry.

Breakfast: If there is something called a wonderland of breakfast, then this is here! Endless supply of fruits, bagels, muffins, eggs, ‘make your own’ waffles, milk, sausages, cereals and whatever else you want are always available. People eat and then take it back for the lazy ones in the family! Since the whole lobby is basically available for seating, we never found any issue with seating during the four days we were there. The coffee supply was 24/7.

Rooms: We stayed in the larger bedroom suite and we enjoyed every moment of it. There is ample space for everything. Two televisions and a real door to the bedroom allowed privacy for everyone. The kitchenette was adequate for a 4-5 days stay. The balcony was okay. It is better you turn off the AC when you sit there to avoid the sound. From 7th floor, the view was ecstatic. Also, we did not hear much noise from the boardwalk. The pullout sofa-bed was great. I thought it was better than the other two beds in the bedroom!

Service: Front desk was extremely helpful. We were surprised that there were free laundry detergents and dryer sheets to do your own laundry! They also have room service after 5 PM, with good items on the menu at affordable price. The valet service was adequate. Wireless interent was patchy at times, but if you need to get some serious work done, there are four computers downstairs, where I did my printouts.

Cleanliness: In spite of this hotel being right on the beach, there was very little sand on the floors.

All in all, we would like to go back there whenever we can manage a few days out of our busy schedules.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank SenWashingtonDC
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Most of the oceanfront hotels in Virginia Beach (at least those I have been in) have similar layouts and this is no exception.

What are the pluses of this property?

Parking garage adjacent to the hotel (not across Atlantic Avenue like so many other hotels).

Located on the quiet end of the Boardwalk (this would be a minus if you have kids who would enjoy staying closer to 22nd street).

Free newspaper in the morning, free hot breakfast, free Internet in the rooms.

Indoor pool and jacuzzi.

There is a three day cancellation policy which coudl be an issue if your plans are changeable, but that is teh only negative feature I noticed.

All in all, a nice hotel, friendly staff, great location (who doesn't love oceanfront). I enjoyed my stay here in Oct and am going back in Dec for a few days.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank David B
Reviewed 27 October 2009

My husband and I travel a lot and I booked this hotel based solely on it's high status on trip advisor and the mostly positive reviews by others. Frankly, I am note sure what all the hype is about. I thought this hotel was just average. The layout is nice, with all rooms oceanfront but so are most of the hotels in this area. We were given a handicap room on the 4th floor. It was an average if not smaller than normal room with no counterspace in the bathroom at all. We ended up having to keep our bath items in the area by the microwave. The bed was not very comfortable. The staff that everyone raves about was again just average. They spoke and answered your questions but did not seem over the top friendly as some reviews lead you to believe. We came across several employees that didn't seem to even speak english. The houscleaning was below par. I cleaned the bathroom myself every day after they had been there. There were long dark hairs on the bath floor every day and they were not from my husband or I so I assume they were from housekeeping - who again did not speak english when we tried to ask them to wait 10 minutes and then they could clean our room. We say them on cell phones numerous times in the hallways during the day, which seemed very unprofessional to us. The breakfast was a big disapppointment after all of the rave reviews. They do have a lot of variety but it isn't very good and the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn breakfasts far exceed this hotel for quality and quanity. I have never stayed at a Marriot chain and after this experience, I won't again. We had problems at check out with the promotion we signed up for not being honored. They did an adjustment after much discussion but it still did not honor our original booking. Across the board, I was disappointed. I won't be back to this area as my husband and I prefer the beaches in Florida for the white sand and overall cleanliness. But if I were to recommend a hotel on VA Beach, it would not be this one. Try a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeannineShiloh_IL
degau816, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2009

I must say I am very disappointed to read the comments you recently posted concerning your stay with us. As mentioned in your review this is not consistent with the majority of the reviews we receive and for that I apologize.

It is our goal to provide each guest with a great experience when they visit our hotel and I am sorry we fell short in meeting yours. I have addressed your comments with our staff in an effort to ensure this does not happen again.

I would be more than happy to discuss your visit further if you would like by contacting me directly here at the hotel.

Duane Gauthier
General Manger
757-417-3982

Reviewed 25 October 2009

Less than two years old hotel - fantastic accomodation.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business