“Little Person Vacation”
Review of Green Bean

Green Bean
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Since we live in Virginia Beach, I make use of the Green Bean more during the cooler months with my 3 -year-old granddaughter. But, it would be great for a vacationing family with small children on a rainy day or as an option rather than the Beach. This indoor space is quite large, easily reached from the Oceanfront and has activities geared towards several ages from baby to primary school age. There are indoor slides, costumes for dress-up, and a huge chalkboard for drawing. There are comfortable chairs for the waiting parent (if you aren't involved in the play) and light snacks available for purchase. I have always found the staff extremely friendly, child oriented, and pleasant. We'll be going back when the weather runs us inside!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I want to like this place because it is nice to have a play place that is only for 6 and under so parents don't need to worry about big kids bulldozing the little ones. When I first walked by it last year there did not seem to be much to it, but a few months later I figured I would give it a try and took my twin girl. There were about 10 or less people there so it felt comfortable and easy to explore. Yet, I did not get a welcoming vibe from the cashier. She wasn't rude, but not friendly. There were stations with age appropriate items, but my daughter seemed to enjoy the sensory area in the back the best. They only have sensory days on select dates. She enjoyed herself, but neither of us felt over the moon about it and at $10, which is really $11 with their "tax," I didn't think it was worth it.

Several months later, I took twin boy because I try to even out what they get to do and he had never gone. I specifically aimed for a sensory day because I thought he would like it and without it, it is kind of boring. We have never seen "Frozen" but know it is popular. I thought there might be a small chance due to the popularity that there might be more people there than last time I went. That is an understatement! The place was a zoo and really pretty small for the amount of people that were there making it difficult to comfortably explore. We were both overwhelmed with him grabbing my leg and me wanting to turn around. I stayed though. I'm not even sure the cashier even said, "hi." She told me $11 and after she swiped my credit card, she said, "you're good." Hmm, ok....do I need to sign a slip, might you say Thank you, Have fun etc....she made the first cashier look friendly.

There were so many people there I had to help my little guy find a place to scoot in so he could reach the sensory bin. Kids were grabbing toys from him etc...Yes. I know this happens with kids, but this was with 3 or 4 different kids, so the odds are up when there are too many people in one space. In fact though they say the 6 and under is strictly enforced, at one point a possibly 9yo was taking up a spot at the sensory table. If you are a Frozen fan, which we are not as we haven't seen it, they decorated the place nicely. We tried to make the best of it, but it was below average today. When the library is free and a bouncy place is $4-6, I'm not too sure I'd opt for this place over those as it just doesn't offer enough extra to make it worth $11. In fact the children's museum is less than that with a lot more to do.

1  Thank free2venture
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This place is incredible! Lots of space for imaginative play, appropriate toys, and an inviting atmosphere. Our boys (11 mos) had a blast. If we lived in the area we would be frequent beaners for sure. I would recommend to any parent of young kids.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I brought my 16 mo old to Green Beans for some free play. They have such a variety of things to play with. Pay by the visit or get a membership. This place is well run, very organized and most importantly KIDS LOVE IT!

2  Thank iamjustvisiting
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I brought my nearly 2-year-old granddaughter for some exciting indoor play on a bad weather day, and she loved it.

There are many different themed areas to play in, including a climbing gym and slide, a music area with instruments like drums, tambourines and and piano, dress up area with hats and masks, a large dollhouse, lots of wooden puzzles, lots of unusual toys, and much more. Many of these toys are items that kids wouldn't have at home, so they are unusual and exciting to play with. It was lots more fun that I'd anticipated (for both of us!), and we'll be back for sure - especially for active play on bad weather days.

The day that we were there, they also offered fingerpainting in the special art room. (There's a monthly schedule online that lists special events like arts and crafts, story time, etc.)

There are many comfortable seating areas for the grownups, including private areas for nursing a baby. (This is not a "drop-off" place, adults stay and play with their kids.)

The place was VERY clean and neat (including a spotless bathroom, equipped, of course, with diaper changing area.) The staff circles around the room regularly to put toys away. They also say that "Toys, play equipment and all areas of Green Bean are cleaned throughout the day with non-toxic, botanical or natural cleaners. This keeps harsh chemicals away from little hands. Deep cleaners are used only after hours and all surfaces to which they are applied are re-cleaned with botanical cleaners to keep them safe for our tiny guests."

Green Bean is a "shoe-free zone" for both adults and kids. We wore socks. (They say "Guests who choose to play barefoot must clean their feet with sanitary wipes, located at the reception counter and free of charge, before entering the play space. ")

They have a cute little snack bar with kid-friendly snacks.

They are not open to the public on Sundays, when they have private parties, for birthdays or baby showers, etc.

You can leave and come back later on the same day's admission charge. Next time I plan to go earlier in the day, go home for lunch and nap (for BOTH of us!), and then go back for more fun!