“Dissapointing”
Review of Ammos

Ammos
Reserve with OpenTable
Ammos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 1,431 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Neighbourhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Manassas, Virginia
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I figured that a restaurant that was in the dining guide in my would at least be worth the time. No so in this case. While the atmosphere and service was very good the overall quality of the food was less than what I was expecting. I started with the calamari appetizer as per the waitress's suggesstion. While it was of sufficient quantity the consitency was very rubbery and it lacked any kind of flavor what-so-ever. Thank the Lord for Marinara sauce. I had hoped that with the arrival of the Main course consisting of the Gyro Platter(also recommended) that things would improve. They did but only marginally. The meat was just a bit over done and the amount of Tzadsiki served was much less than adequate. One good positive was that the greek salad came with the lagest chunks of Feta that I have even seen cut. Those I VERY much enjoyed. Also I have never been to greek restaurant where French Fries were served underneath the stips of meat. Interesting. After the main course and with a reckless hope I ordered the again recommended Baklava and Greek coffee. The coffe was very good however the desert itself tasted as if it have been baked last season and sitting on the counter since. While the staff was very friendly and the music and ambiance very Greek I would not recommend this to others.

Redmond, Oregon
“Great food on the beach”
Reviewed 7 October 2008

We had dinner here around 5 pm on a Saturday. Since it was early and off-season there were only a few other diners there, but the service was quick and attentive. The food was plentiful - bread with oil and vinegar was free but we ordered another appetizer and our platters were huge! We took half of it home. The piña coladas weren't the best, but we are very picky about them and few places do them just right. Still, the Gyro platter was huge and delicious! And sitting outside on the boardwalk was a nice experience. I would definitely recommend it.

Port Washington NY
“The Absolute BEST in Greek Cuisine!!”
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We saw this restaurant's sign while driving along the beach, and gave it a try during our summer vacation. It was SUPERB! Great food, great service. We were five people, and each and every dish was excellent. We sat outside on the patio, facing the ocean. Definitely give it a try! After dinner, you can stroll the boardwalk and enjoy the busy atmosphere. Great Restaurant!

Fairfax, Virginia
“Food ok, service unbelievably awful”
Reviewed 27 August 2008

My husband, two kids, and I arrived at Ammos at 7:00. There were only a few other diners there. We kept waiting for someone to take our order, or at least give us water...but nothing. I kept staring at the waitresses passing by, but they all ignored us. After seeing several new customers get seated and have their orders taken, I finally asked if anyone was going to wait on us. Someone said they would check, but still no one came. At this point, I wanted to leave, but my husband really wanted Greek food so we stayed. Finally, at 7:20, our order was taken.

Shortly after, the hostess came to us and apologized, saying she forgot to assign our table and that it was her first day so please forgive her. Since it was the end of the summer season, I had a hard time believing that it was really her first day, but gave her the benefit of the doubt. I also found it hard to believe that all of the waitresses passing our table never once wondered why we were sitting there for 20 minute with our menus and not even water to drink.

So now, another 20 minutes has passed and we still have no appetizer. I asked the waitress and she said that all of the appetizers take 20 minutes. I said forget it then, we didn't want it to arrive with our dinner so we cancel the appetizer order. Then she tells us that all dinners take 40 minutes. Now I am really not believing this BS, as the diners next to us received their meal in 5 minutes -- and all we ordered was a chicken sandwich and Gyro platter.

What makes me more upset than all the time we wasted at this restaurant were the lies we were told. Rather than accept responsibility, or make it up to us by giving us a freebie, we were lied to. Not only that, but the waitress with cold to us all night, as if it was our fault.

As far as the food, it was ok. The chicken was moist, but they were very stingy with the sauce, so it was not the most flavorful sandwich.

1 Thank SueCav
Virginia
“Best Greek food since GREECE!!”
Reviewed 20 October 2007

My husband and I visited Ammos last Saturday evening on a weekend getaway to Va Beach from Northern Virginia. While we initially were looking for a seafood place, we chose Ammos on the boardwalk thanks to our love of GREEK food -- even tho we are not of the nationality and really have a very limited knowledge of the cuisine, but fell in love with the food when we visited the country years ago.

And I must say we were NOT disappointed!!

The appetizer was pita and zatziki -- thick, creamy, tangy and just fabulous!! The server was very patient with our mangling of the Greek recipe titles and very attentive. We had fresh bread with a dipping sauce of basalmic vinegar syrup overlaid with olive oil and mouth watering olives!! I chose the lamb kabob which was unbelievably affordable, very tender, not over cooked or tough, served with yummy wedges of oven baked parmesan potatoes and a side of the most delicious green beans I've had in a long while. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his entree although I can't begin to spell it correctly!!

I am still remembering the wonderful food and service here and hope to return again and again!! What a happy discovery at the beach!!!

2 Thank sperry