“Great Stay!”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 time so far. I really don't know why I don't stay here more often!!! It's centrally located and walking distance from numerous fine dining restaurants. Mall is just a few blocks away. During my last stay, there was a flood on the floor above me and my room flooded. No damage to any of my stuff and the management moved me very quickly to another room. I got an upgrade with corner window overlooking the town center. No complaints!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Roberta J
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Roberta J
First and most importantly, thank you for choosing the Westin again for your visit to Virginia Beach. We will share all your positive comments about your stay with our team and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Very attractive hotel in a great location. Staff very friendly and professional! Lobby is very inviting and well done.
Room was very clean with top of the line linens. Definitely worth the $'s.
The Westin maintains their good as a top notch hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank ellen d

Ellen D
We are excited to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit with us in Virginia Beach. We will share and celebrate your comments with our team. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Stayed two nights here recently during a business trip.
- easy access of the main highway - I-264.

Check-in was easy. Lobby is nice and clean as expected from a Westin.
Hotel has bar on premises, and several more locations are within a short walk.
YardHouse for Beers, Sonoma for Wines.

Room was good - except someone turned on the A/C, and the room was a bit frigid upon check-in. Changed the temps with easy, but seemed slow to gain heat as I left, came back and it had only gone up a few more degrees...not near where I had set it - 72. It was around 60.

Room was big and had everything needed - ironing board, iron, coffee pot, etc.
Bed was very comfortable and I appreciated the variety of pillow sizes and firmness.
Bathroom was clean - only issue was the sink drained very slowly.
Towel - soft and large enough
Alarm clock - actually worked
Parking - no fee lot (see note below)

Would recommend: Yes
Would stay at again: On trip to VA Beach - yes!

Recommendation: don't change the soap every day, esp if only used once. Put up "Water Conservation" signs. We all need to do our part.

Room Tip: Ask more details about the parking situation. The concierge told me how to get there, but didn't...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank COTraveller33

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and excited that others will take from your feedback what a truly wonderful hotel we have. Safe travels and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This hotel is conveniently located right in the town center of virginia beach. There are many malls nearby where you shop and dine at. The amenities are new and clean. Service was excellent. Overall, it met the expectations of Westin brand... I would stay there again!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Jung K

Jung K
On behalf of the entire Westin team here in Virginia Beach, thank you for the positive comments you have shared. We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us and that we are your hotel of choice for the future! We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel is a puzzle. I would give it five stars for the aesthetics and design; one star for overall processes and service. It's a beautiful property, immaculately clean and could be highly functional. Unfortunately, it completely misses in overall execution as an entity that seems to "shoot itself in the foot" at every opportunity. I need hotel stays that are quietly efficient, with no drama. Staying there MUCH more complex and difficult than it needs to be.

I actually stayed in this hotel several years ago. At the time, it was brand new and stunningly attractive, but was understaffed and overwhelmed. I just chalked it up to struggles with a new property and never went back.

This time, the stay started better, then deteriorated quickly. I had called for a last-minute reservation, and the woman on the phone was pleasant and accommodating. However, when I arrived, they had no record of my call. Not to worry...plenty of space. A fairly new desk clerk was almost too customer services oriented (remember, I like no-nonsense, straightforward service), but was sincere and helpful.

The room itself was immaculate and beautifully, functionally appointed. However, it was ice cold and adjusting the thermostat didn't help...it kept blowing cold air. I have allergies and had also been promised an air cleaner machine. I tried to reach Maintenance, but ALL calls go through some "Guest Relations" call center. And here-in lies the problem....and the drama. It took several calls of back and forth to establish the routine with the air cleaner. And several more calls to get someone to look at the HVAC. The maintenace engineer, Scott, was capable and nice, but I was anxious to change clothes and get situated....this all took a couple of hours. Also, the room had no blankets. I was trying to call housekeeping but was connected with Guest Relations. Several more phone calls back and forth, and three visits by a lovely but non-English-speaking housekeeper to ascertain what I meant by "blanket". Bottom line was that the hotel has NO blankets...only comforters inside duvet covers.

When the room was finally situated, I called room service. Even though the phone has extensions to connect with dining service, they do not work. AGAIN, I was connnected with the guest relations desk, who told me there were no printed menus...you have to go through a complicated 9-screen process on the television to find the menu (which is very limited). A lot of back and forth discussion on food with Guest Relations; consulting with the kitchen, then getting back with me. When food was eventually delivered to my room, it looked awful. My "medium rare" steak was gray (well-done). My order of "extra" vegetables consisted of a garnish amount of asparagas. Several more back and forth calls with guest relations while they consulted the kitchen, two more visits from room service (one for the vegetable, one for the steak), a call from the front desk manager, then the front desk manager coming to the room to ascertain satisfaction! I don't want the front office manager in my room...I want to put on my jammies! Good customer service is quiet, discreet and hassle-free. Someone needs to let them know! The one service area that seemed to worked well was the valet, but it's almost $30 to park your car overnight.

The whole process was exhausting. This is a beautiful property that just can't seem to get it together. What a disappointment!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank regulartraveler705

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We will review all of your observations with our team as we continue to encourage and train on giving outstanding Westin service to our guests. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I've been contemplating writing this email for a whole week, I didn't want my frustration from the night that my fiancé and I stayed to boil over onto this so I apologize for the late notice. On nov 17th, we were traveling all day back from NYC visiting friends, trying to surprise my love I sneakily booked a room at the "4 Star Virginia Beach Westin" on the way home(so we could enjoy dinner and a solid nights stay in what was thought to be an amazing location). When we arrived at 11:30, exhausted and anxious I remind you, the front desk clerk could not find our reservation, that i booked no earlier than two hours prior to us arriving. I went back through my emails and showed her the confirmation, physically gave her my phone so she could look at the email. To no avail she still couldn't locate our reservation. At the point in time, I would imagine that the "above normal service standards" of the westin would take over, as in: The front desk woman calling reservations and attempting to problem solve for us. Figuring out what different options we had to still book a room, seeing that we have expressed that we were EXHAUSTED and not looking to depart from the hotel or at least attempting to sooth the situation at hand by some type of customer service small talk. None of the above happened, she looked at my fiancé and I in the face with a blank stare. She then asked if i wanted to get on the phone and call reservations to see if "I" could figure out the problem. ( Though in my head I thought to myself" This is a WESTIN, why am I about to do this woman's job?! I did not though, I politely went to the phone, then had to ask the woman to put in the number for reservations...) Once I settled the room rate for the night it is now after 12 am, we head up to the room thinking to ourselves, "FINALLY". Once we arrived in room 1103, I immediately head over to the mini fridge to put my fiancé's medicine in, but the fridge is not plugged in... I have to move the dresser to physically plug it in my self, which it self is not a big deal. When i moved the dresser, one of the legs holding the whole entertainment/dresser/tv stand/minifridge holder came off, and when i say came off i do not mean snapped because i moved it with force, cracked because the weight was to much, but literally as i moved our the left side of the dresser the leg fell off which caused the dresser to slam down on my foot and knee, which wouldn't have been so bad but i had to also CATCH your TV from falling over and hitting the ground. I've always heard that bad situations come in three's but i didn't believe it until what happened next. So my fiancé infuriated, calls down to the front desk to have us immediately moved to a new room it's 12:15, she hangs up the phone. Around 12:25 a man who seemed to be hotel security? Black suit and tie arrives upstair sluggishly walking to our room as i'm waiting outside the door now attempting to calm my fiancé down. He checks us in to the room next to us, 1102, takes note on the damaged dresser and apologizes for our inconveniences. He hands me a complimentary breakfast coupon for the next day, and then leaves (which we were now hesitant to even use). I do a quick check on the room, it's an upgrade from the room that we were in, BUT there are still cup stains on the furniture that had not been wiped down from the last guest, the mini fridge was not cold so i had to go and get ice to keep the medicine on and the chase that was in the corner, it's leather was cracking and pealing... At this time, now, one whole hour after we arrived at your virginia beach Westin, we are settled, in a mediocre room, exhausted mentally and physically, with our mood changed for the worse, looking forward to doing nothing but getting back in the car the next morning and heading right to our house... I figured that we should use the complimentary breakfast ( because what else could go wrong), thankfully breakfast was the nicest part of our stay... the service was great and the food was ok also. As easy going as an individual as I am, I can wholeheartedly say that we will never spend another dime at a Westin owned property, to me and my soon to be wife, it is just not worth it. Thank you for your time..

Room Tip: This Westin is two years old, the condition that we found it in is unacceptable. 2.5 stars because t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Chris P
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Chris P
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. First and most importantly, we apologize for the challenges you encountered. In the hope to help avoid them in the future, we researched the information you shared with us. Concerning the reservation, unfortunately the reservation that you had thought you had made two hours prior was not actually confirmed. In the effort to make sure you received the discounted rate you were quoted as quickly as possible due to the late night, many times the Hotel will work directly with our national reservations to get the reservation incorrectly and quickly. We also apologize that the refrigerator not being plugged in prior to your arrival. We will use this information to retrain our housekeeping team to make sure this does not happen moving forward. Concerning the dresser and television, you were kind enough to give us the room number, so we were able to check it immediately. The information you shared is somewhat confusing as all our sleeping room dressers sit on large bases underneath and in the center of the dresser. The legs of the dresser do not hold up the dresser but are there for decoration only. The Hotel televisions are actually mounted to the top of the dresser so that the television can never fall off the dresser. Thank you again for your information, we apologize for the inconvenience that the mini fridge caused you and your fiancé’, but glad to hear that the room upgrade and the breakfast were more positive.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were only booked for one night - Friday for my husband's business dinner and presentation. We really had no reason to be home on Saturday, so we asked if we could stay another night. With our dog. The room we were in was booked for the next night but they were able to put us right across the hall in order to minimize a long distance move. The staff was friendly and helpful regarding little things we needed for our pet. Would stay here again in a heart beat! Also, there are many restaurants and venues within walking distance.

Room Tip: Didn't use the spa so I couldn't rate it, but I'm sure it was great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business