“Relaxing”

Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New York City
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My boyfriend and I came here for the night for his 30th birthday in April 2014. When we arrived the lines at check in were pretty long and the lobby was packed with different groups of people. We finally reached the front of the line to check in but unfortunately they said our room wasn't ready and is still being cleaned up. Mind you this was around 3pm. The gentleman was very apologetic and said he will call my cell phone to let us know when the room would be ready and that we can go out and walk around or grab some drinks at the bar while waiting. We opted to walk to Dick's sporting goods to window shop since there really isn't much to do around the area. We got a call within 20 minutes to say our room was ready so we headed back and the gentleman walked us up to the room and made sure we were satisfied. I thought this was great customer service and he even offered us a free drink each before we head to dinner but we opted out since we didn't want to drink.

The hotel is very clean, room was spacious with floor to ceiling windows and a lot of windows! The heavenly beds were comfy, my first time experiencing it. I thought the showers could have been bigger. I felt claustrophobic while showering. We went to check out the gym and it was nice and big with ample room and machines to work out on. Unfortunately the pool room next door was a bit small and the chlorine smell was so strong I had to run out once I stepped foot inside.

The hotel is near a bunch of restaurants and is a great location to stay at for a night or two. If you are looking to go to the beach I would rather stay at a beach house. Everything is about 15-20 minutes drive away and Busch Gardens is about 45 minutes away?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank fjy_nyc
David F, General Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin Virginia Beach for your stay. I apologize for the delay in getting checked in but am glad to hear the staff were professional in handling the situation and got you checked in as soon as possible and you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Catonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Started booking the Westin for business, but am now booking for personal travel. Love the heavenly shower and bed. Front desk is always so helpful. Always a great stay. Free parking in the deck right next to the hotel. So much to do in Town Center.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank mitch2ke
David F, General Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
I am delighted to hear that your continuously have great stays at The Westin Virginia Beach! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments.
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Unexpectedly stayed at the Westin. My son and daughter-in-law were staying at the hotel as their "baby-moon" celebration prior to the expected birth of their child when my daughter in law went to the hospital for a monitoring and the doctor decided to perform a C-section. The Norfolk area was heavily booked due to a Jimmy Buffett concert so I ended up staying in their room. My son had declined room servicing so this is not a review of the housekeeping.

The bed was fantastic as always. Shower was wonderful. Everything was as expected in terms of the room.

I ate breakfast at the restaurant. The food was good and the service was excellent.

The hotel is located in a shopping district. There are many shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues within easy walking distance to the hotel. It would be a fantastic location for a girl's weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Alice B
First and foremost, congratulations on your grandchild! I am glad you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Virginia Beach and the comfort of our heavenly beds. We look forward to seeing you in the future, possibly for a girl’s weekend where you can enjoy the shopping and dining of the town center area.
Norristown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Been a loyal SPG member since 2003 but lately I've been finding it harder and harder to give SPG properties anything above an Average rating.

Our recent stay during Memorial Day weekend at the Westin was average at best. Check in was mediocre. No recognition as Starwood Gold Members. No mention of our Gold amenity offerings. No mention of the Green Choice program. It was a rushed process with a shooing off to the elevators. Just to be clear, I'm not some type of status seeker expecting to be greeted as a preferred guest. I just know that SPG asks how you were greeted on their post stay surveys. Also, SPG, if you are going to offer a welcome amenity, please train your staff to offer it. I feel ridiculous when I have to bring it up. This is not an isolated incident either.

My wife and I were given a room on the 15th floor (Starwood Preferred Floor). Room 1510 was spacious and clean. Complete with one complimentary bottle of Dasani Water and Starbucks coffee. Not much of a view; just a shopping center and the highway below.

Now, on to the bathroom. Not sure how any contractor could finish this bathroom and think, "Yup, looks good." The shaving mirror was totally crooked hanging from the wall. Plus, the plate around the shower handle was so loose you could spin it around. But the clear winner of dysfunction was the shower towel rack, it was falling from the wall! We alerted the front desk staff . The staff member said someone would be notified to fix it. Nope. Okay, obviously a broken towel rack is not the end of the world. But why did it take me tweeting the picture to @spg to get any type of response. Kudos to Starwood Social Media (Alice Kons) for offering SPG points as a gesture of good will. Did we get any direct response from the hotel management during our stay? Nope.

One other note worth mentioning, the ice machine on the 15th floor was out of service during our stay. Since I'm writing this review a few weeks after our stay, let's hope it's been fixed. I didn't feel very "Preferred" to have to walk down to the 13th floor to get ice.

Didn't use the gym or indoor pool during our visit; however, I took a quick tour of both. Gym was spacious and looked to have decent equipment and the pool was a nice size.

In terms of an overall comfortable stay, the Westin did meet all expectations. The heavenly bed, heavenly shower, and heavenly spa amenities are my favorite parts of the Westin experience. Room was clean and we appreciated having a refrigerator.

It's also worth mentioning that the hotel is in a great location. Convenient to shopping and entertainment venues; it's just a short drive to Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach. There are also a number of restaurants within walking distance (PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, etc.) The hotel lobby also hosts a Starbucks. However, leave yourself time to order, our experiences there were a bit slow and somewhat unorganized. However, the staff was pleasant.

Lastly, the free parking at the public garage is a nice feature; entrance is on Market Street. The garage elevators are located to the left of the front desk.

Room Tip: Room 1510 is conveniently located near a sometimes working ice machine.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DannyZ24
David F, General Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your comments on your stay at The Westin Virginia Beach. I am glad that you enjoyed the town center area and all that it has to offer. I was disappointed to hear that no one from the hotel had contacted you and will follow up with my managers.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I think this is the best price for Westin level amenities. Parking was a little hectic in the deck arriving in the evening on a Saturday. However when we were received in the lobby, very attractive, the hectic-ness went away. Check in was a breeze, the person at the desk ensured we didn't park in a reserved spot to avoid any issues. Our room was so comfortable, those beds and showers!!! Always a pleasure. Our room was so quiet and comfortable no issues.

Their gym was great! Pool looked good but I didn't get to use it. No views of anything good since its in the town center. However, we loved the location being able to walk to restaurants/stores- so convenient. And easy on/off the highway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank imawoogirl
David F, General Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin Virginia Beach for your stay! I am delighted that you had such a pleasurable stay and were able to take advantage of the restaurants surrounding the hotel.
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently for a conference and was very impressed with all aspects of the hotel. They offer free parking which is rare in most cities these days, and the location with many restaurants and shopping within walking distance was a treat. The physical aspects of the the hotel we what you would expect from a 4 star hotel, but what impressed me was the genuine care of all the staff I encountered to ensure that I had a great stay. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank Jeff A
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and excited that others will take from your feedback what a truly wonderful hotel we have. Safe travels and we look forward to your return.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed on a business trip and found this hotel offered friendly, caring staff and a warm, clean, comfortable room to relax in at the end of a long day. The room service breakfast was on time and cooked just as I had ordered.

Room Tip: The $30 upgrade well worth it for the bigger corner room and included internet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Bettyann C
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Virginia Beach. We look forward to seeing you in the future.