“Very nice Westin with lots of eating options”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Hickory, North Carolina
“Very nice Westin with lots of eating options”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here one night. Very nice hotel in a fairly new mixed use development. I am a Platinum Preferred with Starwood and stayed with my son. Plenty levels of free parking in parking garage connected to hotel. Lobby is very nice with a bar and a small store that serves Starbucks. Room is just what you would expect from a new Westin with very comfortable beds and very nice bathroom. Wifi was very good as well. Best part of this hotel is the development where it is located. Plenty of places to eat and shop all within 2 or 3 blocks. Other than the lackluster views you see out your window as the beach is nowhere in sight this is a very good hotel that I would recommend to anyone.

2 Thank Johnplatinum
David F, General Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and were able to take advantage of the many shopping/food establishments located in Town Center. Additionally I am pleased to hear your comments on the internet as we recently increased the bandwidth by 150%.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Parking was easy. We had a lovely room, with a view of the Virginia Beach city center. I loved the size of the room, the bathroom and the fact that we could walk to Cheesecake Factory. Even the shopping is right there, very close to the hotel. For breakfast, we went to McDonald's, opting for the healthiest options we could find, which, on our calorie counter was quite nutritious.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SilentSensation
On behalf of the entire Westin team here in Virginia Beach, thank you for the positive comments you have shared.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I usually stay here when I'm in town for business. Parking is easy, staff is friendly and professional, and the rooms are nice and clean. There is a charge for internet (I still don't understand why lower end hotels have free internet and more expensive ones charge you for it, but oh well). VBTC has plenty of restaurants and bars to keep you entertained at night. My group usually finds itself downstairs in the Yardhouse.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Cards17
David F, General Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re delighted you enjoyed the hotel and the restaurants in Town Center.
Va USA
Reviewed 22 July 2014

First of all - if you are coming for fun to go to the beach -- DO NOT stay here! This is a good 20 min from the beach and you will totally miss any and all beach experience -- not worth the savings. I am here for business and the location is fine for that. Overall this looks like a Westin - they all look the same. It is nice enough, but their recent "modern" decor just looks void and plain to me (all Westins not just this one). Its like a sea of beige, grey, taupe and every other neutral. Fine for work though. What is not ok is the lack of a sundry shop after 6:30pm. If you happen to want a soda or a bag of M/Ms after 6:30, wellll....there are soda machines on the floors -- but they only accept cash and on my floor no bills and exact change?! Well...last time I had that laying around was before I had children. Soda machines need to take plastic if that is all you have available. End of story. That being said, it is not unreasonable to expect a Westin to have a lobby sundry area to have these items - I'm pretty sure the Days Inn has this! I think the location is fine for business. The staff is fine. The rooms are fine -- its just "fine" all the way around, which honestly is not that great these days -- too much competition out there to be just "fine". That being said, the options for a business traveller in Va. Beach during the summer are somewhat limited, as it is difficult to justify a $350 room to your company account when you arent there to go to the beach so beach hotels are out of reach during summer for those of us whose companies dont allow that kind of nightly expense unless its NYC! I for one will be glad when the "high season" ends so that I can return to the beach where the hotels offer a better option in terms of offerings and service. Again -- for the leisure traveller - this is not close to the beach and there is no feeling of being close to the beach at all...if you are here on business - this is a nice hotel overall and make sure you bring lots of quarters in case you need something to drink after 6:30pm!

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator and on a high floor are quiet and easy to access.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Shelly C
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Westin Virginia Beach. I am glad to inform you that the Marketplace in the hotel is open until 9pm for those evening snacks and munchies.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I don't typically stay at Westin hotels, but this one was a good experience. I was thinking that the hotel would be closer to the "Virginia Beach-Beach area" I was disappointed to find that it takes about 20-25 min to drive to the beach area, and the drive isn't great at all.

Check in went fine, staff was polite, and I had my dog with me and there is NO FEE for bringing a dog to this hotel which was great. The room was very clean with a very modern look. Biggest downside is charging for internet. It's 2014 and not in New York City, so i'm not sure why they do this as it's ridiculous.

Parking is free and there are plenty of nice chain places to eat within a 5 min walk. No free breakfast and that's another reason why i'm not sure if I would stay here again. Seems like they try to nickel and dime people.

Overall, it's nice, clean, and safe, but worth looking at different areas especially if you want to hit up the beach.

5 Thank Brock F
David F, General Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Virginia Beach and took advantage of our pet friendly policy.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a block of 5 rooms for a family reunion in June. The location of the hotel was good, there was shopping and dining in walking distance and the beach was a short drive. The free on-site parking is nice, but charging for internet service…seriously, in 2014? After we had just gotten it for free at the Holiday Inn in Willliamsburg? This is clearly a place that is used to business travel and doesn’t quite perform for leisure. It is a nice place to stay, but I would not say it is a great value. I gladly pay more than this for hotel rooms, but expect service and quality surroundings in return.

Rooms were as you would expect, but the hallways looked like a prison. They were dark and the brown paint on the doors and frames was scratched and the old white paint showed (at least on the 10th floor). We could hear the ding of the elevator from our room even though we were 2 rooms down from elevator. I would not take a room near the elevator here. Some of the furniture in the room was in disrepair, but the beds were comfortable. I’m not sure why they are so proud of the dual shower head, it sprays at odd angles and made a mess. There is no outside area for drinks or dining and the indoor pool is too small to bother unless you have small kids.

On average, the service was friendly, if not particularly efficient. The front desk had challenges checking us in because one room was under my SPG number and one was under my husband’s. Only SPG makes spouses have different account numbers. It seemed there was always a line at the check in desk.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good and they have fantastic breakfast potatoes. The food service staff was all very good.

Yes, I would probably stay here again if I were getting some great rate, but never at the rack rate.

Room Tip: Far from the elevators. They don't seem loud, but can be heard inside the room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Liz D
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, and I hope you had a wonderful family reunion. I appreciate your comments and will follow up with our engineering department as we continually strive to improve.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed on Sunday July 6th. Arrived at 5pm. The check in process was friendly but the staff was very evasive not answering questions like when would the room be ready. We stayed with a pet and asked for the "pet bed and amenities" as advertised. These never arrived. The room was very large with nice furnishings and toiletries. Per a typical Westin the Bed was comfortable. But unlike most Westins the shower was painfully small (less than 3 ft wide on the diagonal) and very, very dirty: The floor had red mold and the whole base and door covered in black mold. (the pictures don't capture how gross it was). There were only hand towels in the room( no bath towels, washcloths or robes). We had to call guest services and ask for towels etc and for the shower to be cleaned. When we returned from dinner, there were towels but they had not cleaned the shower. So we had to stand on a hand towel to protect us from the dirty shower floor. In the morning coffee was available for purchase only. Looking at the other reviews our experience may have been due to the Holiday weekend and staffing issues. But that said, shame on the Westin for not providing a clean room, an alternative to a dirty one or an apology. I probably won't stay there again and will not recommend it.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise. The corner Kings are huge.
2 Thank Milo W
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. First and most importantly, we apologize for the challenges you encountered. We will use this information to retrain our housekeeping team to make sure this type of mildew build up does not happen moving forward.