“Very disappointing experience”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I am a very frequent traveler and have been a HHonors member for many years. I have already spent over 150 nights in hotels this year alone. Hilton properties have been my first choice whenever possible, and I prefer Homewood Suites when it is available. This experience changed that I would not ever return to this property. The first room I was sent to upon check in was occupied by someone watching TV. The front desk apologized and told me it was a maintenance worker and sent me to another room. Ok, this isn't a huge deal but it was uncomfortable and after that I would have appreciated someone walking upstairs to personally check on an available room for me. I checked in on Wednesday and my room was cleaned on Thursday. On Friday the beds were made but the bathroom was not cleaned and the pile of towels were left lying on the floor instead of being replaced. My room was not cleaned on Saturday at all and I came home late Saturday evening to find the same pile of towels on the floor from Friday morning. On Sunday morning I notified the front desk that I had not had service in my room and that I needed towels and toilet paper as soon as possible. After waiting for 30 minutes, I was able to find a cart in the hallway with some towels and I took some of those so that we could shower. I also returned to the front desk and asked if they could just give me some toilet paper to take back to my room. The front desk associate promised to have it delivered immediately to my room. I returned and waited an additional 20 minutes without being contacted. Eventually I had to go to the public bathroom in the lobby and take an unopened roll of toilet paper back to my room. The bathroom in my suite was not in good condition. There was a large hole in the tile of the shower wall, the shower handle was leaking water rapidly enough to be audible in the bedroom and splattering all around the shower area. There was also a large clump of hair stuck to the wall of the shower. Maintenance did come by and repair the leak, only to have it start again the next day. Finally, the food at breakfast was not good. The eggs were nearly inedible and items were slow to be replaced. It was bad enough that I didn't even attempt to eat the available dinner. I have always enjoyed the food at the other Homewood Suites properties I have visited in the past. With hundreds of nights spent in hotels, I think this is the first time I have ever put a review online. The experience certainly stood out for me, unfortunately it was not in a good way. I hope others have better experiences but I will not be returning to this property.

1  Thank Jacob H
Homewood_VB, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. On behalf of our entire staff, I am terribly sorry for the experience you had while staying with us recently. I have already discussed your issues with our team in order to ensure this does not happen again to future guests. If you would like to discuss your issues further, please feel free to contact the hotel directly and we will be happy to attempt to resolve your negative experience. I do appreciate you taking time to review our property. We hope to see you again in the future and have the opportunity to make a better impression on you. We appreciate your business.

Sandi Stowers

Reviewed 7 August 2013

The hotel was very clean, great amenities for the price, and 10-12 minutes from the beach and all types of restaurants. The king suite was big enough for me and my wife with a pullout sofa for the kids. The staff was very kind and the free breakfast was not bad. They have a pool and putting green for some on site fun and an laundry and exercise facility. Great Value and I would stay there again.

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. I am glad you were able to enjoy our spacious suites and complimentary breakfast along with our other great amenities. We hope to see you again in the future. Again, thank you for your fantastic review! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hotel in centrally located in the southside of the Hampton Roads area. Convenient for all of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Chesapeake. You do need a car to get anywhere though. Suites are slightly on the small side for Homewood Suites standard. Breakfast was less than expected compared to other Homewood Suites. Overall a good option if you need a suite.

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. I am glad you were able to enjoy our spacious suites and complimentary breakfast along with our other great amenities. I'm sorry to hear our associates were not more helpful with your requst. We have reviewed your comments in our daily meeting and appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again in the future. Again, thank you for taking time to review our hotel! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My overall stay was great. I did not care for the breakfast service, and my remote control in my room did not work well. I beleive I left my Ipod behind, but no one called me regarding this. the bed was very comfortable and the entire room was quiet and clean!!! Very Enjoyable Stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Natasha F

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. I am glad you were able to enjoy our spacious suites along with our other great amenities. I'm sorry you did not care for our breakfast and there was an issue with your remote. In regards to your iPod, have you contacted the hotel to see if we have it in our lost and found? If not, please contact the hotel directly and speak with the Housekeeping Manager and she will be happy to assist you. We hope to see you again in the future. Again, thank you for your nice review! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It looks new, is very clean and the staff is very friendly. It is easy access from the interstate but there is no traffic noise. Homewoods Suites is a good brand and this hotel meets all the standards of the brand.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. I am glad you were able to enjoy our spacious suites and complimentary breakfast along with our other great amenities. We hope to see you again in the future. Again, thank you for your wonderful review! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I thought the room was clean. The bedroom was neat. Everything smelled clean. The bathroom area was sufficient. Liked the setup of the kitchen/living room. Very quiet. Breakfast was good and fresh. Pool ok, not great, but not what I went for.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. I am glad you were able to enjoy our spacious suites and complimentary breakfast along with our other great amenities. We hope to see you again in the future. Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to offer such a fantastic review! We appreciate your business and loyalty!!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I understand that it was a busy weekend; we stayed there for the 4th weekend.
But really, you would expect to be ready and have more staff, for one of the busiest weekend by the beach area... there was only one guy at the front, struggling to take all the calls and requests, and one guy for amenities etc.

Check in was easy, but not very welcoming. Nothing said or done, but couldn't feel that welcoming effect, not even a fake one.

Room was up to date and nice, spacious. Kitchen clean as well.

2nd day, when we returned from the beach, hit the shower, and realized that our towels were taken, but not replaced!!!
I called the front, explained the situation. Waited for a while, no towels. Had to call several times to get answered, but still no resolution except complaining that everyone is requesting stuff and that they are short staffed, only one guy running around!!
I offered to come down to get it, but was told that would not work either.

All this, and not a single apology.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Homewood_VB, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach. I am glad you were able to enjoy our property and amenities we offer. I am sorry to hear about your housekeeping issues and will address those problems with our team. I am also very sorry to hear no one apologized to you, on behalf of our entire team I am truly sorry for your issues that you experienced. I do appreciate you taking time to review our property. We hope to see you again in the future and have the opportunity to make a better impression on you. We appreciate your business.