All reviews private beach no hot water jet ski solar power great diving the reefs there is no air conditioning an eco lodge dry season fresh fish the cottages piece of paradise buffet style marine life wwii wrecks rainy season sea breeze
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Just returned from a 10 night stay at Sangat Island where we had the most amazing experience. This is eco-tourism at its finest - I just loved that from the sea the palm trees completely camouflage the entire resort! I didn’t mind the cool water, lack of AC and applaud owner Andy’s efforts using solar power and desalination. It’s small only accommodating about 40 guests so there’s plenty of space and as everyone has their own hammocks there are no crowding issues.

The transfer from the airport involved a stunning speed boat ride through islands my son described as Jurassic World - very James Bond. On arrival at the resort we were blown away by its beauty. We had booked the villa, accessible via a rickety wooden slippery bridge along the rocks, while the luggage is taken in via boat! Sadly the villa did not quite live up to our expectations with very tired bathrooms and excessive high steps, very rustic made entirely of bamboo with outdoor seating under a canopy making it rather dark. As it was rainy season there were a lot of mosquitos and our 12 year old bore the brunt getting badly bitten inspite of the netting and repellent. It wasn’t quite the weather to make the most of the private beach but we did enjoy swimming in a tropical rain storm. But the rain on all the concrete proved quite treacherous and we asked to move to the cottages in the main resort - they were very happy to accommodate our request and we much preferred the cottages with a far better quality bathroom.

Every afternoon it was a thrill to watch the island monkeys move to their night time place with alpha males followed by mums and babies - you’d never get so close anywhere!

My husband and eldest were there for the diving which they very much enjoyed - JoJo was great. We took a boat tour for a day out together where they couldn’t do enough for us. Another highlight was an hour out on the jet skies around the mangroves with our guide. We also visited the hot springs and took a boat round the island with snorkelling.

Food was good and plentiful, lots of coffee on offer, loved our happy hour cocktails on what we called Tracey Island where barman Bryan was always smiling and attentive.

We had to leave at 4am meaning our speed boat ride was in the dark making it even more exciting than on our arrival!

All credit to Andy and his great team of friendly helpful staff for making a very special experience in this most wonderful

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank CarolynL1209
sangatking, Guest Relations Manager at Sangat Island Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for writing a lovely review following your stay at Sangat Island Dive Resort. It is a pleasure to serve you and I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay! We are enthusiastic about protecting the environment and keeping the island untouched and we are delighted that you appreciated our efforts. We are sorry that you did not get a comfortable stay at the villa regarding all the mosquitoes. If we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, I would recommend that you come during the dry season which is late november to may for a better experience in your next visit. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the activities we offer. I will convey your comments to our team especially to Jojo and Bryan, who will be pleased to learn your recognition.

Once again, thanks for staying with us and finding time to write about your experience. We deeply value your feedback and we are so excited to hopefully see you again in the not too distant future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Sangat is unique, the whole calamianes island group is unique. But sangat is different from the rest. This is a place crafted by nature, somehow undeserving for people, but well understood by those managing sangat island resort. Go there, stay long and soak in the vibes of nature. Life can be very accommodating indeed.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank bert p
sangatking, Guest Relations Manager at Sangat Island Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Thank you for your kind rating and comments! It is a great pleasure to serve you and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! We are so blessed to be located on one of the most beautiful islands in Coron which is why we try our best to preserve it. Thank you again and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

I went to Sangat Dive Resort for 3 days with my family.. Coconut trees, well designed wooden rooms, sandy beach and the real owners of the island- monkeys. You don’t need to be a diver to prefer Sangat Resort. We all liked the food and the staff very much. They are all smiling and kind. I especially thank to TinTin and Cathrine. They helped us a lot.
We also met Andy -the owner of the resort-. I and my family celebrate him for being so respectful to the nature, its inhabitants and the sources of the Earth.
I strongly recommend Sangat Dive Resort.
Gülden

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for staying at Sangat Island Dive Resort and taking a time to write a review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciated the pristine nature we preserve. I will convey your thanks to TinTin and Cat who will be thrilled to learn your recognition. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcoming you back in the very near future here at Sangat Island.

Best,

Reviewed 20 July 2018

I spent one wonderful week at Sangat Island. I have to begin with a disclaimer that a 5 star review of this resort may mislead some people into thinking that they will be coddled in the lap of luxury. While the staff go well out of their way to make their guests feel welcome, well fed and comfortable, this is a primitive place. Guests are housed in bamboo huts that mimic (on a grand scale) the indigenous dwellings on stilts that primitive peoples in the Philippines have lived in traditionally. There is no air conditioning but there is an overhead fan and two box bans for extra breeze on hotter days. There is also no hot water- it is ambient temperature which always felt wonderful to me. Laying in my netted bed, looking at the beautiful bamboo structure and listening to the almost continual cicadas droning away (they go to sleep at night but while I was there in June, they awakened at 5:23 AM as if someone had flipped the "Cicada Switch"), I felt as if i had been transported back to an old south seas movie or into the shoes of an early explorer. In short, it felt DELICIOUSLY removed from the modern world.

Did I say 'delicious'? I did indeed and the food was indeed. They serve 3 meals a day and two light snacks in between. The food was served buffet style and for lunch and dinner, there was generally a choice of local fish or a beef/pork/poultry option. There was plenty of choices for those who don't eat animals or fish. Again, I don't want to give readers the impression that this is a Michelin starred restaurant. If you are after FINE cuisine, you will be disappointed. If you have an adventurous palate and a healthy appetite (very easy after three dives a day) you will be very happy with the meals. if pressed to describe the food I would say it was local inspired with a European accent. I think that I must have been there at the height of Mango season because we had mangoes at least twice a day- my favorite was a simple lunchtime dessert that consisted of big slabs of perfectly ripe mango bathed in a sweet and creamy custard-like sauce (I tried to copy it once I got home to the states, I loved it that much). The dining area is all open air with beautiful views across the lagoon to the bay beyond.

*now a warning- if you go during the rainy season, make certain that you bring a good insect repellent. I normally hate wearing the stuff but my bottle of 30% deet spray was my best friend during this trip for the mosquitoes. My good friend who referred me to this place had been there at the end of the dry season, about 6 weeks previous and he said that they didn't encounter any mosquitoes at all (on the flip side though- they didn't see any fireflies either- guess who DID see fireflies? Magical!).

The grounds were lovely. staff members spend all day raking up debris loosened by the monkeys clambering through the canopy overhead (darling little beasts!) and grooming the flowering shrubs. The resort is built in a small, heavily wooded cove with a beautiful beach and it is pretty much hemmed in on the other three sides by steep, jungled cliffs. There is a path at the back that leads to a rough trail that with a paid guide, will take you partially back into the interior of the island. I would have liked to have done it but I had very little free time that would have been adequate for the hike.

I saw a few guests on the beach from time to time and a few paddle-boarding. Island hopping tours are available but I think the real draw is the diving.

Now for the "good part". . . I love to dive, I love shipwrecks (REAL shipwrecks) and I am fascinated by WWII history. There are SIX LARGE Japanese ships that were sunk during an American attack in September of 1944 which just happened to land in waters that are 130 feet deep and shallower (within recreational diving limits). Most of these physical reminders of this terrible war are ten to fifteen minutes away by boat, only one is farther- about 25 minutes away. For brevity's sake, I will only say that I was amazed, awed, thrilled, spooked and sobered by these marvelous dives. The visibility is not great (varies- I was there when it was pretty low; 20-35 feet) but when inside the wrecks, it was mostly a non-issue. it actually ENHANCED the vastness of the immense holds we glided through, the light from our torches falling away as if sucked into black velvet nothingness. I LOVED it.

Oh yeah- they have reefs there too and it was my first time diving in Asia so I really enjoyed the variety of corals, both hard and soft, and sponges that were so different from the Caribbean/Atlantic waters I normally dive in. The visibility was a let down. I understand that it does occur that the viz is very good on the reefs but not while I was there. I still have no regrets about any of the dives- the only thing is that the wrecks were so superlative that the reefs seemed like "romper room" diving in contrast.

If you dive, you like to dive in style and you like wrecks, DEFINITELY put Sangat Island Dive Resort on your bucket list.

Dangerous Dan

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
6  Thank Daniel S
sangatking, Guest Relations Manager at Sangat Island Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Dear Dangerous Dan,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for taking time to write a fantastic detailed review regarding your recent stay at Sangat Island Dive Resort and recommending to put us on scuba diving enthusiasts's bucket list . Secondly, wow. Your choice of words entices ME to go Sangat Island and I work here! I am glad that you enjoyed the food, accommodation, location, and especially diving. Our resort is truly passionate about delivering a unique guest experience and we are thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your positive comment on the groundsmen as well the food served, we will definitely share this to the team to keep up the good work. We are pleased that you had a magical experience despite the rainy season. We appreciate your comments that for share important tips to other trip advisor users regarding the mosquitoes as well as mentioning the activities we offer! We are so pleased that you loved the dive sites. Its truly an incredible experience and it is a struggle to put it into words for many but you have perfectly described the adventure. Thank you again for not only choosing to stay with us but also for bringing our little island reality into life. We are so excited to hopefully welcome you back in the near future.

Best,
Tania

Reviewed 13 July 2018

Almost three years ago I first visited Sangat Island I was quite blown away, as it was so much better than I expected for being on an island. I wrote a constructive and lengthy review that you can read that review on the scroll below. The place looks great on the website and the Trip Advisor reviews are plentiful - scoring all Very Good and Excellent, which for me is all that matters.

Recently we returned to Sangat Island to the most wonderful surprises. The restaurant had been completely renovated encompassing the bar and pool-table games area… now rather like an open-air Grand Pavilion. We were received into a new area of the pavilion and seated for buku welcome drinks (Coconut milk in the shell) while our luggage was whisked away to our waiting Chalet.

But I couldn’t sit still… I wanted to explore more of the new improvements! The bathroom facilities have also been renovated and I would liken a trip to the comfort room like being in a five star resort on the mainland. I started looking around quickly finding what looked like inside was a new modern Galley with stainless steel cookers and appliances wall to wall. Anyone would think such modern organised facility would be found only in upper Manhattan, but remember we are on an island! Then a very nice surprise came my way as I was personally welcomed by the owner of the resort Mr Andy. He took me through a ’back-stage’ personal tour of the facilities from boat building workshop to power plant - The largest independent Solar Power plant in The Philippines to be precise.

Time to go to our room and changes await there too. The older structures had been removed and replaced with only the most modern Chalets. Now most of the Chalets are new or renovated.. every single one of them with a beautiful view of the turquoise ocean. The only difference was the choice of if we want to be absolute beachfront and enjoy the sound of waves lapping at our feet, or otherwise tucked back against a cliff or bush side still with sight of the ocean. Only with more seclusion and the option to sit on the balcony and spot native wildlife like exotic birds and monkeys. The other room options are the elevated mountainside Chalet, and The Villa. The Villa is a larger 3 bedroom suite around a short walk to a private beach. There is no other place in the world that feels quite the same to me, it is just magical.

Dinner time and I am excited to receive food from that world class kitchen and try the new restaurant. Perhaps a few games of snooker and drinks after it might be in order. The food was as great as it always was on our previous visit, but the improved presentation surpassed expectation. A new elevated buffet with a spread fit for a king. The new feeling of light and space in the pavilion was clear, a whole higher level of luxury on offer… I noticed even the serviettes are no longer paper, and instead quality cotton towels. Oh, now I see a new commercial coffee machine too, and start looking forward to breakfast. So much detail has been addressed to raise the experience to a new level of luxury. For now… off we stroll to The famous Rock Bar.

Looking around I keep seeing so many improvements in the details, and still the same offerings as before like water-sports and scuba diving. We sip from a large selection of drinks and socialise with new friends into the evening. Relaxed, knowing we are in good hands and still finding it difficult to believe one can bring so much of life qualities to a secluded island. So comfortable, so relaxing….. oh the charms of Sangat, we are off to bed with big smiles on our faces - What is in store for us on our first morning waking up on the island? So much to do….. everything, or nothing, yeah - nothing sounds wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank SmithersinAU

Thank you so much for your kind comments and choosing to stay with Sangat Island Dive Resort again! It is a pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back. We are happy to read that you liked the renovations and enjoyed your overall stay. Thank you for finding time to write a detailed review on the restaurant, kitchen, rooms, and even the bathroom! As an eco resort, we take pride in meeting your hotel standards while keeping the environment in mind by investing in solar panels to reduce carbon footprint. We aim to deliver a unique guest experience and we are so pleased that we surpassed your expectations. We would also like to thank you for your lovely comment on our food. Rest assured I will convey your compliments to the team who will be thrilled to learn your recognition.

Thank you once again for your time and we all look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Tania