“Perfect In Every Way”

Ranked #1 of 5 Warm Springs B&B and Inns
Maryland
“Perfect In Every Way”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Just when we thought John's Steakhouse in Warm Springs was a great find, we ate at this jewel and...it's even better. Like John's, it's a bit pricey, but good value.

The former mill is incredibly charming with outstanding food. For wine lovers, ask to visit the wine cellar and choose your own bottle. Or ask the owner/wine expert for advice.
We sat inside but it also has what looks to be nice outdoor tables.

We learned it's been under new ownership since Feb. 2011, so note that when reading older reviews.

We stayed at the Homestead, but ate all our dinners in Warm Springs, about 5 miles from the resort. It was well worth the trip down the windy road.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Shepherdstown WV
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My wife and I stopped off at the Gristmill on our way to the Greenbrier for the PGA tournament. When we left DC it was 98 degress when we arrived at 6pm at the Gristmill it was a beautiful 75 degrees in the mountains. The Inn itself is very unique as soon as you pull up and see the still operating Mill and the well maintained grounds, you know its special. When we walked up to check in there was a three piece band playing in the courtyard as guests looked on. It really set a wonderful mood from the very beginning. We had a glass of wine outside and watched the band for a while before dinner. The whole place has a really neat vibe to it, we really enjoyed chatting with the other guests as well, several of whom were locals.

The Innkeepers are very hands on and very friendly. We had a wonderful dinner in the bar area. All of the food seems to be made from scratch with the best of ingredients. Even the salad dressings that are made in house were delcious. Very cool wine cellar in which guests are encouraged to walk in, look around and pick a selection, wines are also well priced.

Our room (cant remember the name of it) was very clean and comfortable as well as spacious. We cant wait to return to this gem of an Inn!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My dad and I take a father-son trip every year, and this year we drove through western Virginia. Well my car had lots of troubles we didn't make it to Inn at Gristmill Square until around 11pm. Our room was waiting for us, and although the restaurant was long closed, they very kindly made us a couple delicious appetizers. My dad and I hadn't had a meal in 14 hours, so the food did us good after a very stressful day. We enjoyed our room a lot and loved the pretty pool (which to my delight was big enough to swim laps in).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2011

The Inn is very affordable and clean. The decor could use some updating. The picnic basket breakfast is a charming touch if you're not in need of a hefty breakfast. The attached Waterwheel Restaurant is worth the drive alone. The surrounding countryside is some of the most beautiful we've ever seen.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clamsfan
Washington DC
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Inn for 2 nights. We loved it. The staff was fantastic and the food was fabulous! It is the perfect place to stay and do as little or as much as you want. We spend a day at the lake close by and relaxed. We ate in the restaurant BOTH nights. The restaurant is a much. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. We definitely plan on going back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MeEncantaTravel
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I liked this little B&B. The staff was very nice. It was classy but not as stuffy and uptight as most B&B's. The tiny pub was lively. I loved the big old bath tub in my room. They bring your breakfast to your door in a basket.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Blue Ridge Mountains
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Singapore room for one night in May 2011. When we arrived around 3pm, we couldn't find anyone to check us into our room. We had to go to the restaurant in order to find some help.
We were finally checked into the room and it was large, but the bathroom was odd. The bath/shower was "open" to the rest of the room and the toilet was located in another part of the room (which had a door that closed thank goodness). The bathtub/shower set-up was a little creepy and I found someone else's dirty washcloth on the shower rod. This has happened to me twice within one month (it happened at another hotel recently), so I'm not sure if housekeepers across America are going blind or what?
The furniture was supposed to be "antique" but instead, just looked kind of dirty, scratched and tattered. The floors need to be re-done and the oriental carpet was hideous and should be burned (I refused to walk on it). Linens were very old, thin and stained, but the bed was fairly comfortable.
There was toothpaste spatter all over the bathroom mirror which was gross, and the small fridge didn't really keep things very cold (and there's no microwave). Basically, after paying 140.00 for this room, I felt pretty ripped-off.
The one really nice thing is that the restaurant is located on premises (there's nothing else around) and the food was delicious. In the morning, they provide a continental breakfast that they bring to your room per your request (for free). It was nothing fancy, but they heated up our left-overs in the kitchen for us from the night before.
There are also nice seating areas throughout the grounds, so you can sip a glass of wine while listening to a nearby stream. There is a pool but it was not open for the season yet. There was a fitness room with all broken equipment, but the place doesn't advertise a fitness facility, so I think they just gave up on it.
The area is gorgeous and interesting, but this place needs a face lift. They really need to invest in new linens, towels, and housekeepers. Staff was very polite and friendly. I would have felt better about my stay if I hadn't paid so much for the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a CLEAN room.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Goshen
Fort Lewis Lodge
Fort Lewis Lodge
#1 of 1 in Millboro

Been to Inn at Gristmill Square? Share your experiences!