“We won Wednesday night trivia” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 86 Restaurants in Warrenton
Price range: US$5 - US$45
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Specializing in warm hospitality,excellent food and friendly service.Come on in and relax. Open seven days a week. Also available for events and parties,corporate and private.
Denver
“We won Wednesday night trivia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had fun. Even though the place was packed we found a good table. The food was great and we won the trivia contest. What more can I say.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank vacationaddictDenver

Rixeyville, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Muddy Black and Tan and poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I ordered and black and tan. I was served two beers fully mixed together and said to the waitress that it didn't look like a black and tan. She told me it ends up looking like that anyway. The waitress was generally rude and dismissive. I'll never go back based on poor service.

I also ordered a potato and corned beef dish. It was tiny and lacking flavor.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank RixeyRixey
Warrenton, Virginia
“Semi authentic food, nice bar, dining room is not so appealing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

There are some nice folks working there and the food can be pretty good. But there is something about a restaurant needing smelly candles to conceal the background aroma that makes me uneasy.

Visited May 2013
Bealeton, Virginia, United States
“Haven't been in a while...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

When McMahon's opened, we were happy to see another "pub" in Warrenton - especially one that seemed to be following the traditional Irish pub theme: good beer, great atmosphere, and decent pub food. We weren't expecting haute cusine. We went several times, including for a Sunday brunch. I was pretty good, and then it seemed to slip a little bit in the quality of food. I don't think I've been back in 5 years, and am willing to give it another try. They must be doing something right because they are still here in a fairly competitive market.

• Visited July 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
“Fun atmosphere, go for a pint and the Boxty!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

This was actually our second trip to McMahon's, but we didn't realize until we pulled up! The restaurant is a good size and I like the way that it is laid out to give some separation to the differing kinds of groups that might be visiting.

The bar area feels like a pub should, a bit dark with a lot of wood and stone. We ordered a couple of pints and the vegetable boxty to start. I tell you I could have just eaten a boxty or two and been perfectly happy! They are so good, that was the one thing we really remembered from our last visit as well.

Our entrees weren't as good sadly, which I believe we also seemed to remember from our last visit. I ordered the clams and they were just fine, but really, how badly could you mess up some steamed clams? Sadly, my husband ordered the Guinness Beef & Mushroom stew, a much more Irish style dish and it was bland, it honestly tasted like Dinty Moore beef stew.... :( There were not a lot of mushrooms and no Guinness flavor whatsoever.

I saw Chocolate Mousse on the menu, so decided we should get that to share so we could stay and hear a bit of the band that was tuning up. It was a mistake. The whipped cream on top was the best part, and I don't even really like whipped cream. The mousse was super thick and heavy, much more like a rich icing than a mousse, but sadly, without the flavor. To me it tasted exactly like a basic chocolate pudding, which I actually would have preferred for the texture.

The service was very good and the place is a fun place to go, but not for more than the pints and the boxty really!

• Visited May 2013