“Saltine Crackers Served with $9.25 Artichoke Dip”
Review of Mojitos and Tapas

Mojitos and Tapas
Ranked #17 of 89 Restaurants in Warrenton
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I decided to try the Mojitos and Tapas restaurant in Warrenton, Virginia and we were disappointed. We had intended to stay a while and order drinks and tapas, but left after the first round.

Watery, Expensive Drinks:
To begin, we each ordered mojitos. Mine was mango, his was regular. They were $8.50 a piece. We thought that was a bit high. The mojitos were lacking in flavor and alcohol content. We have had better, more "zippy" mojitos at Ruby Tuesday and other restaurants. The mango bits in mine, (which rendered it a "mango mojito") were unripe and therefore added no flavor to the mojito. Neither of our mojitos had that crisp "bite" to them. They tasted watered down. Not worth $8.50.

For Tapas, we ordered the butterfly mango shrimp. They were delicious. The mango in the chutney served with these shrimp was perfectly ripened and added flavor to the sauce. The shrimp were breaded in panko bread crumbs and arrived lukewarm, but still good.

We also ordered the artichoke heart and spinach dip. It was $9.25. The dip was outstanding. However, it arrived with a side of saltine crackers. Saltines! This made the dish appear very "cheap" (saltines are about $1.00 per box at the grocery store and are usually served with chili or soup). It seemed like a penny-pinching thing to do. For $9.25, they really should consider serving that dip with toasted french bread or Carr crackers as does every other restaurant that serves a spinach artichoke dip

Bottom Line:
The service was good, but the fare was just not up to par. The drinks were the first strike and the saltines just were an odd touch to the superb dip. So we cut our visit short, paid our bill and left. We will not be back.

It seems this restaurant saves a few pennies by cutting back on essential ingredients such as mojito mix, rum and decent crackers. It is too bad. There is potential here.

3  Thank Jolene B
There are newer reviews for Mojitos and Tapas

Reviewed 22 March 2014

VERY DISSAPOINTED!! I went on Saturday, March 15, 2014 with my husband and kids to eat dinner and celebrate my birthday and the churrasco was so hard that I couldn't eat it. It was like gum. When I complained the server didn't even apologized. I repeated that it was so bad that I couldn't chew it and then he said: I'm sorry. Never mentioned to bring another dish or anything to compensate. My husband ordered Cuban rice and pork carnitas but it was flavorless. My older son ordered a breaded chicken with fries and the chicken was burned. I really thought that I was going to get a good "treat" by going to this restaurant. The worst part, our bill was $105.00!! Expensive and NOT good!

1  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We went to Mojitos and Tapas on a Friday night. Most of their food is frozen crap from the grocery store: croquetas, empanadas, etc. (look for the Goya brand). The black bean soup was bland and had none of the required deliciousness I expect from real Cuban black bean soup. This tasted like it came out of a can and they added the onions, cilantro and sour cream. The roast pork was dry and tasteless. Everything is very expensive. $10 for a tapa is higher than the good restaurants in DC.
However, the wait staff was very nice and attentive. The Friday entertainment band was fun and talented, if a bit loud.
If I just want a glass of wine, and one okay tapa and don't feel like driving to Clarendon, I might go back.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Miami is my hometown and I grew up eating great Cuban food. This place reminds me of home. The food is always very good, the atmosphere is lovely, and the owner is just super. I just wish I had the time to eat here more often.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

My best friend and I met at this place last night for dinner. This was our first time trying this Cuban restaurant. What a great experience! First, the atmosphere is beautiful and uplifting. Beautiful wicker type furniture and plants; you feel like you're sitting on a beach somewhere. We got the crab and artichoke dip, the spinach and chicken quesadillas, and the Zang Zang shrimp. Each time we tried one of the dishes we looked at each other and said "God, this is really good!" The flavors were out of this world! It was also great getting several of the tapas style items and sharing. Generous portions, beautifully presented, and absolutely delicious. Our waitress, Nina, was so great and so nice. Awesome service. The prices were very reasonable. We will definitely be back. Can't wait to try other items on the menu. Highly recommend. Thanks for a great evening of fun and food!