The Inn at Little Washington
US$322
US$310
Royal Inn Motel(Front Royal)
US$60
US$89
Skyland(Shenandoah National Park)
US$197
  • Restaurant
Front Royal Motel(Front Royal)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$55
Priceline
US$77
US$63
All reviewsafternoon teathe kitchentasting menuworth every pennyspecial occasiondining experiencebucket listfoie grashigh teaseven deadly sinsonce in a lifetimetea serviceamuse boucheour waitermy wife and iwelcome cocktailattention to detail
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Just celebrated my birthday at the Inn at Little Washington, which included afternoon tea, dinner, an overnight stay in a lovely room, and breakfast the next day. I have the cookbooks, have made some of the recipes, and have followed Patrick O'Connell's career for years, and it was a thrill to finally go there. The entire experience was fabulous. For the true foodies reading this review, when do you go to a great restaurant owned and operated by a top chef, and see that top chef actually making your food? I have never seen that, until now. I can't tell you what a thrill it was to have Patrick O'Connell, the MAN, come over to say hello while we were enjoying our welcome cocktail and then again, over dinner. He doesn't have to do that, there are talented and competent sous chefs everywhere who can execute well on his behalf. What this demonstrates immensely is what Chef O'Connell is setting out to do, provide a perfect, personal experience for we guests, then surpass that perfection.

After the cocktail and lovely chat, we were escorted to our beautiful, immaculate room and found a hand written note from the proprietor, Patrick O'Connell, welcoming us. The room was quiet, comfortable, and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud.

The afternoon tea was fantastic, wonderful assortment of eclectic teas. The service could have not been more impeccable. The sinful sweet and savory goodies on the multi tiered tray were delicious. I could have eaten plates and plates of them. Exhibiting any restraint was difficult!

Dinner was once again, fabulous. Whimsical and creative touches are the Chef's signature, and are easy on the eye as well as the palate. Lobster minestrone - gotta love the veggies in ONE large pasta shell, rather than the pasta in the broth with the veggies. The lamb Carpaccio, diver scallop, grilled pigeon, duck, and the desserts were to die for. The execution and service was top notch – we struggled to pick what we wanted off the menu because it all sounded so good and the stomach is only so big – I can only hope the tempura soft shell crab is still there someday when I go back – it was calling to me from someone else’s table and it was hard not to stare!

Breakfast the next day was once again, stunning. Homemade Greek yogurt, granola, fresh berries – the fabulous and inspiring food was served to us in sumptuous elegance, at a table in front of an open door looking out into the gorgeous garden and koi pond. From the eggs Benedict to the oatmeal soufflé to homemade hash with a quail egg and the amazing eggs with smoked salmon...wow this cannot be beat.

Inn grounds are stunning and gorgeous, what a thrill to see the attention to detail in every nook and cranny. Everyone knew our name, and made us feel welcome. Staff seem to enjoy what they are doing and must all share Patrick O'Connell's vision – he must be a thrill to work for. Thank you all for working so hard to make our stay so special. Folks, this is the real deal. Make this #1 on your bucket list, and then go there!

Room Tip: If you are staying overnight at the Inn at Little Washington, who cares what room you are in :-). I'd gladly pay to sleep in the cute gardening shed over by the sheep!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donnaks
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Your review has absolutely made us smile and we are so pleased to hear that every aspect of your meals and subsequent stay was exceptional. It is our goal at The Inn at Little Washington to provide an experience like no other to our guests and it seems we met that goal with you. We’re thrilled that you had an opportunity to meet with Patrick O’Connell and to share your appreciation with him and we look forward to welcoming you back time and time again to enjoy so many of the unique characteristics that our Inn offers to its guests. Thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary at TIALW last night. The food, the service, the ambiance (which I describe as a Bombay British brothel!) were all spectacular. I loved every minute of my stay...except one...getting in the car to go home. The experience was a feast for the palate and eyes. I have read and reread my menu - which wished us a happy anniversary - and closed my eyes and wandered through the gorgeous inn. We had the Gastronaut dinner with the wine pairings - and I am so glad we did. My only regret was that I didn't get to taste the butter pecan ice cream sandwich. I saw another diner enjoying that - and the seven deadly sins dessert. But I couldn't have eaten another bite anyway. I loved the novelty of the cow cheese cart with the mooing - though it sounded more like a sheep. However, the playfulness of the cow cheese cart was so amusing in stark contrast to the elegance of the room and food.

I can't wait to go back. I am already planning my husband's 60th birthday. And it's 3 years away!

I loved every minute of my stay. And I love my husband so much for suprising me with the experience of a life time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Your review captures exactly what we want our guests to experience when they spend time at The Inn at Little Washington – outstanding service, divine cuisine and luxury at its best. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your anniversary meal and we are absolutely looking forward to greeting you again in the future. Thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

My husband and I traveled to The Inn at Little Washington for a rare date night. The staff was amazing. We were greeted as soon as we arrived. They noticed we brought a camera and took pictures of us in front of the restaurant and in the lobby. Our waiter made wonderful food and wine recommendations for us. We did not feel rushed through our meal. Everyone waiting on us took time and care as they spoke with us. The food was unique and amazing. The wine pairings superb! We ate in the "Bird" room and had a wonderful view of the patio. After dinner, we walked on the grounds and observed their garden. We got some amazing gardening ideas for our own home! It was a wonderfully romantic evening!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

A stroll through our beautiful gardens and relaxing amidst the blooms and peaceful views is a delightful way to end a perfect visit to The Inn at Little Washington. We appreciate the time you took to acknowledge the special efforts our staff makes to ensure our guests enjoy every detail of their experience. It would be our pleasure to have you join us again in the future and we thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

As far as I am concerned The IALW has only itself to compete with. I have been to enough "top rated" restaurants and inns to consider The IALW number one for me. After several visits over the last 25 years, I feel things have slipped a bit.

On our most recent visit when entering room 7 we noticed a slightly musty odor that lingered throughout our stay. The decor was as lovely as usual but the bedskirt was fairly discolored where it touched the floor…dirty or just old, either way not ideal. House keeping is outstanding with their three visits to the room keeping towels fresh and the bed perfectly made at all times.

We dined in the kitchen and found our waiter to be a bit less polished than the rest of the staff. Even though he wrote down our order he forgot to bring one of our beverages. To his credit though, he did catch the missing dumplings on one of our entree's but then my dessert of peach tart was missing the basil and peach leaf ice cream.

At breakfast we were seated at a special table from our past without having to ask. Making note of these events is a small example of what positions the Inn at the top of many lists. While breakfast began beautifully with the most perfect berries, yogurt and house made granola, it wavered a bit. The basket of bakery items contained croissants with an odd flavor of possibly rancid oil and the blueberry muffins were dry. Our entrees made up for it with the "best we have had" omelet although the accompanying sausage and bacon were cold.

Even though I have listed more than a few exceptions I still feel The IALW comes very close to it's 5 star rating. I hope these miss steps are just a coincidence.

Room Tip: Travel and Leisure recommend Superior rooms 5 and 7. If choosing this category I would go with 5 because it is positioned further back in the courtyard eliminating the side view of the parking lot. We have also stayed in their bi-level suite and fireplace junior suite. Both are spectacular with much larger bathrooms.
Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

We are always happy to hear from our loyal guests and we appreciate you letting us know exactly what made your stay memorable as well as what areas need our attention. Taking care of our guests is our number one priority and when we hear that certain aspects of their stay were disappointing, we work even harder to correct those issues. It is always our pleasure to welcome you to The Inn at Little Washington and we are sincerely grateful for your review.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

While traveling on the crowded road of modern American food culture, with its hairpin turns and exits ending in cul-de-sacs of failed expectations, it is comforting to know that one can find a place like The Inn. A place where disciplined creativity combines with attentive but relaxed and gracious service, where one can enjoy food with all five senses fully engaged.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Your review describes an incredible journey and we’re so pleased to hear it! The experience at The Inn at Little Washington is certainly a memorable one and we’re so happy to hear that our attention to detail and welcoming atmosphere created the perfect setting for your meal. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and we thank you for your kind review.