“Wonderful, Luxurious, Intimate Inn”

The Inn at Little Washington
Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful, Luxurious, Intimate Inn”
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

The rooms are beautiful and spacious. I cannot say enough about how courteous and polite the staff is. Both dinner and breakfast were out of sight good.
Their farm across the street, and the little town are both full of charm. We couldn't find a lot else to do in the immediate vicinity, but this is a place for chilling, so it was fine.

• Stayed March 2013
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for staying at The Inn at Little Washington and for posting this great review. We’re delighted that you enjoyed interacting with our staff and relaxing in our quiet and quaint town. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future and we thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was out 2nd visit. The service was simply impeccable. The room was a little small but very well equipped. Wifi included. Do not forget to enjoy the afternoon Tea service and the amazing breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
We are so pleased to hear that your visit to The Inn at Little Washington was outstanding. It is always our hope to fully impress our guests and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and we thank you for your kind review.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We just made our third trip to the Inn at Little Washington, to celebrate my 50th birthday. The last time was 10 years ago, for my 40th, and before that, we visited in the early 1990s. I wondered this time if it would live up to my memories and therefore to my heightened expectations. It did. It's amazing just how fabulous this place is, and how it has managed to remain so over a 20 year period (and by all reports, over its entire 35-year lifetime), without slacking off and resting on its laurels. While its steep price really makes it a special-occasion place, it certainly succeeds in providing the epitome of a special-occasion experience, where every single detail has been designed to come as close to perfection as possible.

We had a refreshing welcoming cocktail upon arrival, and took a tour of the grounds, which are just lovely. By the time we returned, our bags had already been brought to Room 5, overlooking the garden, which was beautiful. It seems that housekeeping comes in a tidies up virtually every time you leave the room, so it always looks as lovely and neat as the moment you first entered. The service is impeccable in every way and never intrusive.

But of course the reason for the visit is really that mind-blowing dinner, which for my husband and me was about three and a half hours of bliss. It was especially delightful to find that the whole experience, despite all the elements of elegance, was not in the least intimidating or uptight or haughty. In fact, there were touches of humor and whimsy and joy at every turn, from the adorable little amuse-bouches that arrived first to the extremely entertaining (and equally knowledgeable) gentleman who presented the cheese cart. How wonderful to enjoy serious food without the serious attitude. And the food IS just insanely good -- absolutely delicious, imaginative and beautifully presented without being overly precious. (Don't believe those reviews that say that the courses are so tiny they can't be shared. It's hard to imagine how anyone can say that they felt like there wasn't enough food... )

It must be noted that dining here is very expensive: dinner for 2 starts at $336, and that's before cocktails, wine, tax and gratuity. We ended up at just under $600. Lodging is also a major investment -- prices are listed on the website. However, this is truly a memorable experience for anyone who appreciates food and revels in watching artisans strive for perfection. We're already looking forward to our next visit. I hope we won't wait another 10 years!

Room Tip: We loved room 5, overlooking the courtyard garden.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
We are sincerely grateful for your especially kind review of The Inn at Little Washington and are so pleased to read that your experience was memorable from start to finish. Knowing that our guests do invest their time and means when dining or staying with us makes us further invest our time and expertise in making their experience simply one-of-a-kind. Thank you for sharing your story with us and we are thrilled that your birthday celebration was enjoyable. We look forward to greeting you again soon!
Nokesville, Virginia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

this hotel and dinner is everything you could want in a once in a lifetime experence. The sad thing about this trip is the next place you go to will suffer in comparison. from the greeting at the door until you check out you are clearly in a special place. well worth the "very" high cost for this adventure. The meal was the best we have ever had and the room was perfect. Tea was great in the afternoon and breakfast the next morning was among the best ever as well. They knew who we were whenever we came downstairs (not sure how they sorted that out). an unforgettable experence and we will be back again next year.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Spending a little extra time to get to know each and every one of our guests is something that is very important to us here at The Inn at Little Washington, and we are pleased that our efforts made an impression upon you. It’s wonderful to hear that you fully enjoyed your meals and we’re already looking forward to next year when we can greet you again. Thank you for your kind review.
Leesburg VA
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Just celebrated my birthday at the Inn at Little Washington, which included afternoon tea, dinner, an overnight stay in a lovely room, and breakfast the next day. I have the cookbooks, have made some of the recipes, and have followed Patrick O'Connell's career for years, and it was a thrill to finally go there. The entire experience was fabulous. For the true foodies reading this review, when do you go to a great restaurant owned and operated by a top chef, and see that top chef actually making your food? I have never seen that, until now. I can't tell you what a thrill it was to have Patrick O'Connell, the MAN, come over to say hello while we were enjoying our welcome cocktail and then again, over dinner. He doesn't have to do that, there are talented and competent sous chefs everywhere who can execute well on his behalf. What this demonstrates immensely is what Chef O'Connell is setting out to do, provide a perfect, personal experience for we guests, then surpass that perfection.

After the cocktail and lovely chat, we were escorted to our beautiful, immaculate room and found a hand written note from the proprietor, Patrick O'Connell, welcoming us. The room was quiet, comfortable, and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud.

The afternoon tea was fantastic, wonderful assortment of eclectic teas. The service could have not been more impeccable. The sinful sweet and savory goodies on the multi tiered tray were delicious. I could have eaten plates and plates of them. Exhibiting any restraint was difficult!

Dinner was once again, fabulous. Whimsical and creative touches are the Chef's signature, and are easy on the eye as well as the palate. Lobster minestrone - gotta love the veggies in ONE large pasta shell, rather than the pasta in the broth with the veggies. The lamb Carpaccio, diver scallop, grilled pigeon, duck, and the desserts were to die for. The execution and service was top notch – we struggled to pick what we wanted off the menu because it all sounded so good and the stomach is only so big – I can only hope the tempura soft shell crab is still there someday when I go back – it was calling to me from someone else’s table and it was hard not to stare!

Breakfast the next day was once again, stunning. Homemade Greek yogurt, granola, fresh berries – the fabulous and inspiring food was served to us in sumptuous elegance, at a table in front of an open door looking out into the gorgeous garden and koi pond. From the eggs Benedict to the oatmeal soufflé to homemade hash with a quail egg and the amazing eggs with smoked salmon...wow this cannot be beat.

Inn grounds are stunning and gorgeous, what a thrill to see the attention to detail in every nook and cranny. Everyone knew our name, and made us feel welcome. Staff seem to enjoy what they are doing and must all share Patrick O'Connell's vision – he must be a thrill to work for. Thank you all for working so hard to make our stay so special. Folks, this is the real deal. Make this #1 on your bucket list, and then go there!

Room Tip: If you are staying overnight at the Inn at Little Washington, who cares what room you are in :-). I...
1 Thank donnaks
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Your review has absolutely made us smile and we are so pleased to hear that every aspect of your meals and subsequent stay was exceptional. It is our goal at The Inn at Little Washington to provide an experience like no other to our guests and it seems we met that goal with you. We’re thrilled that you had an opportunity to meet with Patrick O’Connell and to share your appreciation with him and we look forward to welcoming you back time and time again to enjoy so many of the unique characteristics that our Inn offers to its guests. Thank you for your gracious review.
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary at TIALW last night. The food, the service, the ambiance (which I describe as a Bombay British brothel!) were all spectacular. I loved every minute of my stay...except one...getting in the car to go home. The experience was a feast for the palate and eyes. I have read and reread my menu - which wished us a happy anniversary - and closed my eyes and wandered through the gorgeous inn. We had the Gastronaut dinner with the wine pairings - and I am so glad we did. My only regret was that I didn't get to taste the butter pecan ice cream sandwich. I saw another diner enjoying that - and the seven deadly sins dessert. But I couldn't have eaten another bite anyway. I loved the novelty of the cow cheese cart with the mooing - though it sounded more like a sheep. However, the playfulness of the cow cheese cart was so amusing in stark contrast to the elegance of the room and food.

I can't wait to go back. I am already planning my husband's 60th birthday. And it's 3 years away!

I loved every minute of my stay. And I love my husband so much for suprising me with the experience of a life time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Your review captures exactly what we want our guests to experience when they spend time at The Inn at Little Washington – outstanding service, divine cuisine and luxury at its best. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your anniversary meal and we are absolutely looking forward to greeting you again in the future. Thank you for your gracious review.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My husband and I traveled to The Inn at Little Washington for a rare date night. The staff was amazing. We were greeted as soon as we arrived. They noticed we brought a camera and took pictures of us in front of the restaurant and in the lobby. Our waiter made wonderful food and wine recommendations for us. We did not feel rushed through our meal. Everyone waiting on us took time and care as they spoke with us. The food was unique and amazing. The wine pairings superb! We ate in the "Bird" room and had a wonderful view of the patio. After dinner, we walked on the grounds and observed their garden. We got some amazing gardening ideas for our own home! It was a wonderfully romantic evening!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
A stroll through our beautiful gardens and relaxing amidst the blooms and peaceful views is a delightful way to end a perfect visit to The Inn at Little Washington. We appreciate the time you took to acknowledge the special efforts our staff makes to ensure our guests enjoy every detail of their experience. It would be our pleasure to have you join us again in the future and we thank you for your kind review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
Glen Gordon Manor
Glen Gordon Manor
#1 of 1 in Huntly

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!