The Inn at Little Washington
Royal Inn Motel(Front Royal)
US$62
Skyland(Shenandoah National Park)
US$182
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Front Royal Motel(Front Royal)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$55
US$77
US$65
US$67
All reviewsafternoon teathe kitchentasting menuworth every pennyspecial occasiondining experiencebucket listfoie grashigh teaseven deadly sinsonce in a lifetimetea serviceamuse boucheour waitermy wife and iwelcome cocktailattention to detail
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have wanted to visit the Inn at Little Washington for the past fifteen years. When I finally made the reservation several months ago, I was hyperventilating. Would it be worth this kind of money? Would the food be as outstanding as everyone said it would? The answer was a resounding yes! When we arrived we were met by a lovely young man who took our bags and were introduced to Neil who gave us a tour and a cocktail. The decor is ornate and I feared the personnel would be haughty and stuffy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Personable, warm and inviting are the words that came to mind. Everyone from Neil the dining manager to Amy who served us tea, were helpful and friendly. That evening I had one, if not the best meal I've ever had. There were four of us dining and everyone had something different and everything was outstanding. Chris, who managed our table was so enthusiastic and funny that he helped transform a impressive dinner into a magical one.
The room was lovely. Thank God I don't have that bed in my home; I would never get out of it. It was the best nights sleep I had in weeks. The next morning, we had a continental breakfast but my husband tried the oatmeal souffle which again was wonderful. Can't wait to try it at home. I sincerely hope we get to go back. While expensive it was certainly worth every penny.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cathy746
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

It’s always wonderful to hear that our guests were fully impressed by their stay at The Inn at Little Washington. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and thank you for your kind acknowledgement of our staff. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and we thank you for your review.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

From the warm welcome at the entrance, I knew that the IALW was going to be a special place to visit. Although this is most certainly an expensive Inn, it is not stuffy in any way. The employees are the most friendly professionals I have ever encountered in a five-star hotel. The decor can be a bit "over-the-top" for my taste, but I found touches of decorating brilliance in every room. We stayed in room 9, complete with a comfortable balcony. Beginning with the welcome cocktail and ending with a fantastic breakfast - this Inn is a treasure

Room Tip: Rooms 9 and 10 have wonderful balconys
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

We are pleased to learn that your recent visit to The Inn at Little Washington was so enjoyable. Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of our staff and accommodations and for your helpful room suggestions. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I really can’t say enough about how fantastic our trip to The Inn at Little Washington was. I knew it would be wonderful; it’s a world renowned Inn with a AAA 5-diamond restaurant. What I didn’t expect was for it to be as perfect and welcoming as it was. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay absolutely amazing, attending to every detail, anticipating our needs, joking with us, smiling, and making us laugh.

When we arrived, on the chilly, dreary, rainy day, we were greeted out front by a young man with an umbrella who whisked me inside so I wouldn’t get wet. They told my husband to leave the bags in the car and they’d take care of everything. Once inside, a lovely older man named Sayid greeted us and walked us to the bar in the “monkey room” where a woman was making us a “welcome cocktail” with a basil syrup and champagne. Sayid showed us around the Inn, taking us to the tea room, showing us the dining room and sun porches overlooking the garden, and letting us know about breakfast in the morning. As our room wasn’t ready, he left us to ourselves in the tea room where we sat back in plush chairs, sipped our cocktails, perused the various books (including Chef O’Connell’s cookbooks), and delighted over the architecture.

To say the Inn is gorgeous is an understatement. The décor is spectacular and they have a way of making a wide variety of patterns, stripes, solids, golds, brasses, wood, and stone work harmoniously to create an old English cottage feel in a very stately Inn. The furniture in the tea room was seemingly mismatched, but clearly carefully chosen and coordinated well together.

Andrew, a wonderful and happy man that helped us throughout our stay, came to collect us when our room was ready. Our room was the first on the right after a lovely sitting area at the top of the stairs filled with books. Each room is named after a famous chef and ours, room 7, was the Daniel Boulud room. When we walked in, we were absolutely floored. The room had a beautiful wood-paneled entry room, filled with mirrored doors that led to the closet and then wooden doors with frosted glass panels that led to the bathroom on the left and the bedroom straight ahead.

The bedroom had 4 wallpapers in it (yes, I counted) that adorned both the walls and ceilings, huge, thick drapes on the windows and at the head of the bed and glass French doors that led out to our covered balcony overlooking the Inn’s garden. Sadly, it was too rainy for us to spend time in the garden, but we were able to enjoy the view from the cover of our porch. As expected, our suitcase was in the room and my husband’s suit hung in the closet.

We went to the tea room again and chose a new table where we could sit side by side on a velvet-covered bench seat and enjoy the afternoon. Our young server, Michael, came to take our tea orders (we selected from a tea menu that had over a dozen choices ranging from green to black to white). Both came to us in cast iron tea pots and were served in delicately patterned china. Then Michael brought out a two-tiered tray of snacks including tiny sandwiches with salmon or country ham and cucumbers, ginger-scented scones, swan-shaped shortbread cookies, and other sweet treats that I don’t remember. I DO remember eating an unholy amount of crème fraiche on my scone, enjoying the tart lemon curd and homemade raspberry jam, and laughing as my husband just gave in and took the spoon to the tiny jam jar and ate it once his sweets were gone (yes, it was that good).

We then relaxed in our room and got ready for dinner. When we came downstairs we were greeted at the bottom of the stairs by Andrew who quickly took our camera and took a few photos of us in front of the fireplace, which had a warm fire burning brightly inside. Then he showed us to our table, which was a quiet table in one of the sun rooms overlooking the garden. At 7:30 it was already fairly dark on that dreary day, but we still had a lovely view of the flowers at night and the white lights that they string up to decorate the garden.

Dinner was as fabulous as you’d expect from a AAA 5-diamond restaurant. Again, we marveled at how much we were able to laugh with the staff and the complete lack of stuffiness that we found. We were attended to (mostly) by two Michaels, including young Michael from earlier who told us that his dad, Neil, works there as well. (We later met Neil, who gave us a kitchen tour and chatted with us about our hometown and was a delightful man.)

The meal started with a variety of breads and butter and then we were served a trio of “snacks” from the kitchen. One was a tiny cherry tomato that was hollowed out, stuffed with fresh goat cheese, coated and fried, leaving the cheese as a hot liquid center. The other was a tiny fork full of Virginia country ham and fig and the last (our favorite) was their “chip and dip.” The kitchen shaves potatoes and fries them in a small cylinder like an egg roll. Then they stuff it with a house made French onion dip and cover the ends with caviar. That single bite of food is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten in my life.

After snacks came a small course with what they called “a shot of autumn” and a cheese puff. The shot of autumn was a hot apple-rutabaga soup that did indeed invoke the feeling of autumn with its rich, creamy flavor. The cheese puff was hollowed out and perfect for dipping in the soup, even if we weren’t supposed to do that.

Our first courses then arrived. I chose the Beet Trinity which the menu describes as “Three Versions of Our Garden’s Beets with Montchèvre, Beet Sorbet and Orange Essence.” Mike chose (and was the clear winner of round one) the Carpaccio of Herb-Crusted Baby Lamb Loin with Caesar Salad Ice Cream. I can’t even describe how wonderful it was with the fresh house-made pesto (they grow their own herbs around the tiny town).

Second course, I chose the hot and cold foie gras and nearly wanted to cry because it was so tasty. Mike chose a papardelle past dish with mushrooms, spinach, apricots, and carrots. For our entrée, Michael talked us both into the “Tuna pretending to be a filet” which was a thick, grilled piece of rare tuna, topped with seared foie gras, on a bed of fresh vegetables, charred onions, and a burgundy-balsamic-butter reduction. When you have a bite that includes the tuna, foie gras, and reduction all in one, it truly tastes like a perfectly grilled filet mignon.

For dessert with both chose the Seven Deadly Sins, which was seven tiny versions of their popular desserts. Our favorites were the homemade mint ice cream with chocolate ribbons (and unlike store-bought mint ice creams, this had a fresh and wonderful mint flavor) and the southern butter pecan ice cream sandwich with bittersweet chocolate and hot caramel sauce that they served us from a mini copper skillet table-side. The other desserts were all wonderful as well, but those two were stand-outs, as was the “Happy Anniversary” written in chocolate on a marzipan ribbon on each plate.

We headed up to bed around 10pm, full and sleepy, watched TV, and fell asleep until 8am. It was a perfect night of sleep in a comfortable bed, which is a rarity for parents of small babies and we relished it. We got up and got ready, and headed down to breakfast. Sayid welcomed us for breakfast and sat us at our table from last night. “Our table” as we call it now. We sipped their coffee, enjoyed the “flight of juices” that included a honeydew juice, carrot juice, apple-ginger juice, and a “Shenandoah Sunrise” which was a blend of freshly squeezed grapefruit and orange juices. We had their house-made Greek yogurt (the best Greek yogurt I’ve ever tasted) with granola and fresh berries and a variety of pastries, croissants, jams, and honey. I was stuffed again, probably still full from the previous night.

Once we were ready to leave, we called down to Sayid and he had someone come up quickly and retrieve our bags. When we came down, the car was waiting out front with two chilled bottles of water in the cup holders and Sayid thanked us for staying and gave us a tin of gummy candies for the road.

I have never experienced something so perfect and amazing as our stay at The Inn at Little Washington. It’s a perfect place for a special celebration. For us, it was our 2nd anniversary, and a celebration of our first since I was pregnant and sick and we didn’t do anything last October. We plan to do it again 18 years from now to celebrate our 20th.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

You had us at ‘wonderful’! We are grateful that you took the time to share your recent anniversary celebration experience at The Inn at Little Washington and we are even more impressed that you were able to describe so many details for other readers. It makes us happy to learn that your experience was exceptional and we do hope we won’t have to wait 18 years to see you again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We spent two nights at The Inn at Little Washington in late August - all in all it was thoroughly enjoyable and very special. The attention to detail and the standard of service is quite extraordinary. We stayed in The Norman Suite - just delightful, very spacious and lots of welcoming goodies and we felt very pampered for the duration of our stay. We indulged in the Gastronaut's Menu and paired wines for the first night and then the a la carte menu on the second night - a consuming passion indeed. For us from far flung Western Australia, it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

It’s always exciting to hear from our Aussie friends and learn that the experience you had at The Inn at Little Washington was completely enjoyable. Our staff strives to provide the utmost in care and attention to our guests and we’re pleased that you enjoyed the results of their efforts. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future and we thank you for your review.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just returned from two nights at this Inn. I paid $795 for Friday night and $695 for Saturday night. The rooms are nice, the service is very good. The Inn lobby, bar, living room and dining room are average, that means, nothing to speak of. I did not get $1,500 of value from the facility. It is a nice Inn, but not worth half the price they charge, However, people, like me, still pay it. We had heard so much about this place, so I thought we would try it. The décor inside the Inn is tired. They still have red fringed lights over the dinner tables. I threw mine out in 1979. I have stayed at similar places, for example, the Morrison Hose in Alexandria, who have similar rooms, decor and service for about a third of the price. Ok, I think you can tell, I believe its overpriced. Extremely......

They do include a nice yogurt, berry, jam and bread breakfast. Anything cooked is another $25. After paying almost $700 a night, this is an insult of a breakfast. Good breakfast? yes, but it probably cost them $10 in food and another $10 in labor. We did get a welcome drink and some room snacks I valued at about $5. Again, at $700 a night, more would be epected.

So what about dinner? We paid $619 for two....included a bottle of wine at $140. So for $500 dinner, it was very good. I was not disappointed. But $500? Really? They only reason you would stay and eat here is top tell people you did. The meal can be replicated at the better restaurants in DC. Plus cheaper and you don't have the 2 hour drive. Don't get me wrong, they execute very well and the place is very relaxing. But for the money, you can find something similar at a much better location. Will we be back? Maybe. But I will go on knowing that I will not get the value that they charge.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SigEpGov
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent experience. While it seems that there were certain aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, we do apologize that your entire stay did not impress you. We fully understand that an experience at our Inn is not inexpensive, which is why it is our mission to exceed every desire of our guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back with the hopes that your next stay with us would be as valuable as you had hoped.