“Amazing”

The Inn at Little Washington
Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday. Upon arrival, they escort you in take your coat and let you warm up by the fire. We were then seated and menus were printed with Happy Birthday message to me. We chose the a la carte menu. Everything was delicious. I started with the tuna, mac and cheese and then lobster for main dish. The mac and cheese was amazing, actually everything was. The service is top notch. Our waiter Jess was very personable and told us several things about items on menu, the chef, talked about all the rooms at the inn and even arranged for a tour of the kitchen. When we were leaving they went and started the car and warmed it up for us while another service member took out pictures. It was Christmas time, so everything was decorated absolutely beautifully. I can't say enough about this place. It is very expensive, but it was worth every penny. It is a very special experience that everyone should enjoy at least once.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

We are extremely pleased to hear that your recent experience at The Inn at Little Washington was so enjoyable. It is our goal to create lasting memories for each of our guests, especially on special occasions such as birthdays. Thank you for letting us know how thrilled you were with your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Inn at Little Washington

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The Inn is one of the most unusual restaurants in the US; It is located in the quaint town of Washington, VA. The food is exquisite, the presentation is creative and the service staff is professional and friendly. You will never forget this experience and you will want to return often. For a memorable get-away, you should plan to spend the night in their adjacent guest quarters.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

You have creatively described just what we strive to offer to our guests; an unforgettable experience that you’ll want to recreate over and over again! Thank you for sharing your enjoyment of your experience at The Inn at Little Washington and we can’t wait to welcome you back for another great stay very soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Friends and colleagues had suggested the Inn and Little Washington for years. I initially made a reservation for an early dinner. A colleague recommended staying overnight since the roads to Little Washington are not well lit at night and I planned to have a multi course meal with wine pairings. Fortunately, a member of The Inn called to confirm my dinner reservation and asked if I would like information about room packages. I converted my dinner reservation for a room package and I'm glad I did. I arrived in the early afternoon in time for afternoon tea. After tea I was shown to my room and then I took myself on walking tour of the shops and adjoining grounds. The grounds are picturesque and the shop staff are accommodating. I returned to my room and got dressed for dinner.

Dinner was a delicious, unhurried affair from start to finish! All the staff was polite, professional and knowledgeable. They checked in to see if I was enjoying each meal selection and asked my opinion about the wine pairings. After dinner I was taken on a tour of the restaurant and had an opportunity to see a dessert being assembled. I returned to my room and found turn down service completed and a bottle of water waiting for me bedside. In the morning I was greeted by staff was I came down the stairs and guided to the room where breakfast was being served. Breads, juices,Greek yogurt, granola (all made on premises) and fruit were offered along with a selection of hot breakfast items. I had the lobster omelet with the trio of potatoes garnished with a broiled tomato topped with reggiano parmesan cheese.

After breakfast I checked out of my room. Valet service brought my bags from my room and brought my car to entrance of the building. As I prepared to get in my car the young woman I had chatted with at the front desk brought me a tin of Grether's Pastilles as a parting gift. As I drove down the road leaving The Inn at Little Washington I noticed the valet had placed a bottle of water (with The Inn at Little Washington label) in my car's drink holder.

In my opinion, The Inn at Little Washington's accolades and recognition are well deserved. The staff does its level best to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. If you're unable to stay overnight, consider having an early dinner at the restaurant and then returning home - it's worth the trip.

Room Tip: If space is available request a room in the Inn. Rooms 6, 8 and 10 have mini sitting areas that rece...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

We’re so pleased that you decided to extend your visit to an overnight and had the opportunity to enjoy relaxing in one of our luxuriously appointed guest rooms. Your suggestions for other guests are so appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another exceptional experience at The Inn at Little Washington.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked our stay on the Inn’s Internet site. I specified that it was my wife’s birthday. I received confirming emails and a phone call. From the time we arrived we were treated like special guests. It was refreshing how attentive and detail oriented the staff were. Once we arrived, our car and belongings were whisked away and we were treated to cocktails and a tour of the Inn. We were escorted past the crackling fireplace to our room, which had been upgraded to Room #10. There was a hand written note from Chef/Proprietor Patrick O’Connell on the table. There were fresh flowers everywhere at the Inn. Beautiful! (Watched the history of the Inn on the big screen in the room.) At 7 pm we went down for drinks. Well stocked bar. At precisely 7:30 pm we were taken to our table. Both menus were pre-printed with my wife’s name and happy birthday! We ordered tuna and oysters, foie gras and scallops, and sea bass and sweetbreads. There were two other courses. We anticipated that this would be the best meal of our lives. It was without a doubt the best meal ever! We ordered foods we have had never tasted before! Awesome! The taste, the presentation, the portions were absolute perfection! The staff magically appeared at the appropriate times. Great wine suggestions! Who knew what to order with sweetbreads? They know! The deserts were pleasing to the eye and the pallet. Two hours. Our overnight stay was over the top! I cannot write this without mentioning the staff. They were professional, took care our every need, and most importantly, were very nice. Thank you Inn at Little Washington for creating an unforgettable memory for my wife and I!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

It is always our pleasure to create the most memorable experience for our guests, especially during special occasions such as birthdays. Knowing that our staff, cuisine and accommodations provided you with a celebration like no other, makes us very happy. Please come and visit The Inn at Little Washington very soon!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband surprised me with dinner for our wedding anniversary. Although it took almost 2 hours to drive from DC (commuter traffic) it was so worth it. The restaurant is charming and the staff expects you - everyone greets you by name and treats you like a friend. I love how everyone had a specialty and could speak knowledgeably about their subject (we loved the cheese and tea guy!) And the food! First the freebies: started with truffled popcorn, amazing! Then a shot of rutabaga and apple soup which I would love to reproduce. The amuse bouche was also terrific, especially the "cannoli" which is a shaved fried potato filled with onion dip and dipped in caviar at each end - so good. My husband had the "tin of sin" and I had the hearts of palm salad - both were incredible, For my main I had the lobster ministrone, so delicious, and my husband had the arctic bass - he raved about the pork dumplings that accompanied it. For dessert we had the warm apple tart and the butter pecan ice cream sandwich, which I am still dreaming about! The food is locally sourced and so well prepared. This will be an expensive night, but it's one of those places that you have to try at least once. And don't bother bringing your cell phone - no service!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

How nice of your husband to treat you to a surprise visit to The Inn at Little Washington! We were so excited to welcome you and are thrilled that your expectations were fully met. We hope to welcome you back in the future and we thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I just came back from celebrating our 25th anniversary at the Inn. It has been on my "life list" to check off for a long time and it did not disappoint us in its delivery. The staff were amazing -- they were there when you needed them but not obtrusive. It seemed every time we left our room they came in and put new water bottles down, provided turn down service. The restaurant food was outstanding! The six course dinner was unbelievably good. We discussed our preferences with wine and the wine chosen for us was perfectly paired with our likes and the food that we selected.

The Inn has a highly regarded reputation and for us the food, service and little touches made our celebration quite special.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for sharing exactly how The Inn at Little Washington, its staff and accommodations made for a perfect 25th Anniversary celebration! We love creating memorable experiences for our guests and we were honored to have been part of your special occasion. Thank you for your gracious review and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had been looking forward to staying here and having dinner at this acclaimed restaurant for a long time. My husband and I were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. I am puzzled as to why the price for the room and the dinner could ever be justified. We stayed 2 nights - the room was lovely but we didn't receive turn down service the second night. At breakfast the first morning there was a hair in my husband's granola at breakfast ( when we mentioned it to the waiter - he said he was sorry but that was all!!) -- inexcusable in my opinion for the caliber of the restaurant. Dinner was good but my husband and I have both traveled extensively and have had the same food quality at half the price. We both came away wondering why we spent almost $2000 for our special celebration.
I could never recommend this venue to anyone we know - definitely overrated!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Joanne C
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

We are very sorry to hear that we failed to exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to deliver more personalized and anticipatory service. Thank you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
#2 of 8 in Washington
Glen Gordon Manor
Glen Gordon Manor
#1 of 1 in Huntly

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!