“Fantastic service, exceptional food, lovely room!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Little Washington

The Inn at Little Washington
Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Exton, PA
“Fantastic service, exceptional food, lovely room!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Fantastic service, exceptional food, lovely room! I would love to go back! The staff is wonderful, I never saw housekeeping, but every time we returned to our room, the room was straightened, clean towels were left, the bed was made or turned down, treats were left. The staff was always pleasant and ready to accommodate your every request. Afternoon tea was wonderful, dinner was extraordinary, it was certainly one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed. Breakfast is also not to be missed. We had the opportunity to see the kitchen and meet Patrick O’Connell. I bought the Refined American Cuisine Cookbook (the staff had it autographed by Patrick for me) and I’ve already made the Watermelon Tequila Soup! Can’t wait to try more recipes, including some we ate at the Inn. In addition, our room was not only lovely, it was comfortable, important for those who do not sleep well away from home! The atmosphere is very relaxing and the other guests were friendly. Overall an extraordinary experience.

Room Tip: Our room was in the main Inn and there is a flight of stairs to climb. I do not know if any of the o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
We appreciate your thoughtful review and are glad we could be a comfortable home away from home!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had dinner at the Inn at Little Washington and it was one of the best meals of my life. The wine list is extensive and actually really interesting to go through. One thing that I really loved was the personalized menu with your name and date on it. We were giddy with excitement before each course and were blown away at the end. Next time I am going to spend the little bit more and get the nine course meal.

1 Thank SarahDCNYC
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
We are pleased your visit to The Inn at Little Washington was memorable. Thank you for your kind review.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Difficult to imagine that service could be better...food excellent, setting beautiful. I don't know how they did it but after we were announced at arrival the staff knew who we were and what our needs were.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank InLondonAgain
Thank you for your gracious compliments regarding your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
White Mountains
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We were celebrating our first anniversary and they did everything possible to make it perfect. We were treated as VIPs from the moment that we arrived. Our car was parked for us and the bags were delivered to the room and we were treated to a champagne cocktail and given a tour.

We arrived a little latter then planed and we did not want to miss tea, so I asked how late tea is served. I loved the answer. I am paraphrasing; “Whenever it would be good for you”. Everything at the inn revolves around what is best for the guest. Never the other way around. I also asked if they had a recommendation for the tipping of staff (bellman, breakfast servers and housekeepers). They gave the perfect answer once again. "Your policy is our policy". Since we had a late tea it was no problem for them to push back our dinner time. The secret to their amazing service is their big staff. Someone is always available just in case you might need something.

We stayed in the garden suite and it was amazing. The bath room could have easily graced the pages of Architectural Digest.

The dinner was absolutely fabulous. Sometimes creativity can be just weird. But here everything had a reason and all the ingredients worked in harmony to produce a superb dining experience. The service was also perfect along with the timing of each dish. Our server was both very professional but friendly and down to earth at the same time. We also enjoyed the kitchen tour.

We only stayed one night. We will be back and next time for a longer stay. I had extremely high expectations prior to arrival and I was not disappointed.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
We appreciate your kind review and wish you a Happy Anniversary. Thank you.
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Let me start by saying that I have been fortune enough to stay or eat at close to 23 Relais Chateaux properties and restaurants. They are all without a doubt wonderful, amazing and service is usually 4 to 5 star - with one exception.

The staff at the Inn at Little Washington may actually rate a 6! I have never experienced such a gracious, friendly and accommodating staff - from arriving at the front door and having luggage and our car taken swiftly off our hands to the check-in, check-out, the restaurant staff, those at the shops and everyone in between - we experienced nothing less then quiet graciousness.

When we requested that breakfast be served for 6 in our Game Keepers Cottage (the best by the way) it arrived on trays with a staff to arrange, offer to pour us coffee while setting up and rearranging to make it all fit - all being done with making us feel this was easy, seamless and what they do everyday. It was above and beyond and probably inconvenient but was done with style and smiles.

What Patrick O'Connell has achieved is a fabulous blend of gracious country home style with food and comfort for the most discriminating! I haven't even mentioned the food. The food was wonderful and filled with so many delightful surprises I can't begin to list them all here. I am still dreaming about the incredible lemon-vodka-dill sauce!

What a wonderful slice of heaven about an 1 hour and half outside of D.C. - if you can go - go and experience it yourselves!!

Room Tip: Loved the Game Keepers Cottage - Family stayed in Norman House - most impressive bathroom and additi...
3 Thank gowilton
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your kind review.
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We just had our 25th anniversary yesterday at the Inn. My expectations were already high when I knew that the institution is already a member of Relais and Chateaux and on top of that a 5 star rating from Forbes Travel. The presentation from start to finish is excellent. I must admit I have a very keen eye when it comes to details. From the doorman's jacket, table napkins and servers clothing are well-pressed; bedroom and bathroom layout, real wood cabinets, wood doors, key holder, dining sets are well-thought out. The kitchen, where we had the opportunity to meet and greet Chef Patrick O'Connell was well-kept and organized, almost spotless through the lens of my naked eye. The kitchen is pampered with monastic music, purposely set by the master chef to maintain calmness and focus among his team of chefs. Table orders are managed with time precision to make sure pacing of food courses are delivered on time. No wonder the 6-course dinner was paced perfectly, didn't even notice we've been sitting there for 2.5 hours. We were amazed by how fast and organized the servings were tendered. As to the food, it is something to behold and experience, though the servings were small, the food is oozing with distinctive, unique heavenly taste that your palate is quite delighted. Dessert, the 'seven deadly sins' is a must. Nothing like it, except if you're in Paris. Breakfast was a pleasant surprise, french egg benedict and lobster omelette was excellent top off with 4 kinds of juices and apple butter on warm mini croissants. What a way to start your day. Overall the food and stay was excellent. The staff was congenial, always willing to help. This was pure decadence, as others would say, Merci et bon travail!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ray S
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
We could almost exactly picture your experience as you walked us through it and we thank you for being so detailed when describing everything you enjoyed. Your gracious compliments for both our staff and The Inn at Little Washington itself are sincerely appreciated. Thank you for your kind review and vous êtes les bienvenus!
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Yes, it is pricey - but what is a once-in-a-lifetime experience worth? For most of us, The Inn at Little Washington is a little out of our normal price range and it may be hard for you to hit the "book this room" button. I advise you to pluck up the courage and click it! Especially now that spring is on the way as I stayed here last spring and the gardens surrounding this little oasis were spectacular! I was greeted personally and given a delectably refreshing drink while I marveled at the antiques and décor which had a pleasing combination of Victorian and art deco feel. I was led to my room where more treats awaited in a welcome basket. I curled up in the window seat to explore the goodies and soaked up the beauty of the room and its furnishings. I enjoyed the afternoon tea and walked the gardens set off the dining rooms before embarking on the spectacular 6+ coarse meal that ended with an Inn-shaped box of midnight snacks to take with me. Completely sated, I slept wonderfully in a very comfortable bed after a relaxing hot shower in the white marbled bathroom. You could imagine yourself in another era because of the decor, but the rooms have all the latest amenities and conveniences. Breakfast was incredible and we had a table overlooking the world-class gardens in full bloom. The entire stay delighted all my senses - the garden fresh/season-appropriate food, the fresh juices, floral arrangements which pleased the eye and scented the environment with fragrance, and exquisite artwork and furniture. The staff were very attentive and could not have been nicer. For me, this was indeed worth the money for an experience I will remember forever.

Room Tip: While you're splurging, get a room with a balcony that overlooks the gardens! Mid-week stays off...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alynne L
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
We’re pleased that your stay at The Inn at Little Washington provided you with an exceptional experience. We make it our top priority to pay attention to the needs of all five senses and we appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our efforts in your review. It would be our pleasure to have you return very soon. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
Caledonia Farm - 1812  B&B
Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
#2 of 2 in Flint Hill
Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!