“A life time experience”

Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“A life time experience”
Reviewed 29 June 2005

My wife and stayed at the Inn the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th of May. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royality. The room was extremely tastfully decorated and conformable. The grounds were like going to a Victory Garden show. But most of all, the food and presentation were incredible. My wife and I are fairly well traveled but my wife would rate this experience as tops in her life. Chef Patrick very personable and his staff worked hard at taking great care of us. There should be 10 stars for a place like this. Our 4th night was at the Ritz in DC and it felt like going to Motel 6.

Richard and Vicki...........West Chester, OH

• Stayed May 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 20 June 2005

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary this past weekend at the Inn. We stayed one night in a beautiful spacious room with balconey over the garden. Upon our arrival and introductions everyone new our names for the rest of our stay. We had afternoon tea in the garden, watching the many koi in the pond and relaxing to the sound of a small fountain (part of the landscaping of the pond). Many teas and tasty treats to enjoy. Then we walked around the charming small town of Washington. We lucked out with cool non-humid weather for late June, icing on our cake of a stay.
Then dinner, which was fantastic. We started with 6 different hors d'oeuvres, which we liked so much the staff kept bringing us more. The rest of the meal was spelendid. My only comment, they poured our champagne fast (and we drank eagerly) that we were out with 3 courses still to go, so we ordered another. I've been to 5 star restaurants in NYC that are very strategic with pouring a bottle so it lasts thru the whole meal. We asked if we could visit one of the Inn's dalmatians before we turned in and the happily obliged.
Breakfast was delivered to our room which we enjoyed lazely on our balconey.
Our stay was too quick, we would have loved to spend a few more days. But we aren't millionaires and it isn't cheap, but it is worth every penny!

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank Sundayed
bowling green
Reviewed 2 May 2005

We had a fabulous dinner at the Inn at Little Washington on April 25, 2005. My wife and I had the tasting menu and I had the accompanying wines. The service was perfect and so was the food. The weekday price was $40 less than the weekend rate. This was without doubt the best meal we have ever had. The $500+ cost was not too outrageous considering the quality of the food and service. We even met the chief and had a tour of the kitchen after our meal. An unforgetable experience.

11 Thank jsbmd
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 April 2005

I had the privilege to visit the Inn as a tourist Saturday April 23rd. The staff was very cordial to me with my questions and curiosity about the menu and just general questions about such a lavish Inn that I found just by chance. If I ever get into the financial situation I hope I can become a guest at the Inn.
Thank you for your kindness to a stranger.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 April 2005

What can I say about the Inn? Here in the Washington DC area it holds a certain mystique and cult following. My partner and I are now members of this elite club. Dining at the Inn can be compared to enjoying Iranian caviar and a bottle of Grande Dame. Both are delicious and delectable - but also very expensive and served with ritual. They would taste the same without the expense and mother of pearl utensils and crystal - but it just would not be the same experience. I was not sure what to expect, but my dining experience was anticlimactic. The Inn is beautiful and well decorated. The service was professional and exceptional, but friendly and unpretentious. The name of our dinner party was printed on our menus. We were all prepared for the cost. Dinner for 4, 1 bottle of mediocre wine, and 4 cocktails cost $920 with tax and tip. The share for my partner and me was $460 - that is almost exactly what we paid for our last weekend trip to New York for 2 nights hotel and theater tickets. Good, but not great. On a recent trip to New Orleans I had far more exceptional food at Herbsaint - for a fraction of the cost. Unlike other reviews, I found the portions to be adequate considering there were 4 courses. We did not leave hungry. The highlight of the meal was the dessert courses - works of art, creative, and delicious. But for $230 a head - I guess I expected the dining experience of a lifetime. From my previous experiences with restaurants around the county and world, a fare price for the dinner would have been around $75. ($15 1st course, ditto for second, $30 for the entree and $15 for dessert.) Considering the Inn is 70 miles from Washington DC - the overhead must be quite low. Again, good food, excellent location, beautiful surroundings, but not worth the price. Splurge if you wish.

16 Thank dcsocialworker2016
Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 March 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Middleton Inn in Washington, VA and were delighted in the charming room(Churchill), attentive and thoughtful service and its special location near the Inn at Little Washington. The drive through rolling hills and country roads was a perfect entree to a wonderfully restored 1850 inn and it provided a special retreat for us celebrating our anniversary. Along with dinner at the nearby Inn, this lovely B&B provided us a memorable experience that we will look forward to repeating in the future. We couldn't have imagined a better retreat!

7 Thank EBarker
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed 23 February 2005

I had the opportunity to take my family to The Inn at Little Washington and was totally blown away by the experience. I went to the Inn based on reputation. Sometimes great reputations lead to so so dining experiences. This was not the case with our visit. The restaurant itself is absolutely gorgeous. The food was amazing from the appetizers to the divine "7 deadly sins dessert". Service is what made the experience though! The servers seemed to appear out of nowhere to deliver the restaurants magical creations. Everything was delivered perfectly and sat in front of my guests at the same time.
As an added surprise, after dinner we were invited to visit the kitchen...everyone should have a kitchen like this! The kitchen was immaculate and was beautiful.
We will definitely be going back for another special occassion. I defined visiting this restaurant as a "life moment". It certainly was one!

9 Thank Chip21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 1 in Huntly
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!