“Immaculate Service, Impeccable Dining Experience”

Inn at Little Washington
Reserve with OpenTable
Inn at Little Washington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Washington
Price range: US$218 - US$218
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A Michelin Two Star, Forbes 5 Star, AAA 5 Diamond country house hotel retreat, The Inn at Little Washington presents exquisite American Cuisine with a French influence in a charming and sophisticated dining room. The sumptuous award-winning cuisine is accompanied by a Wine Spectator Grand Award wine cellar with over 2,500 selections.
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This establishment ranks in the top five (5) of my lifetime dining experiences to date. From the valet not needing to give me a ticket for the car to the car awaiting me to drive right off when done dining without even calling for it, the attention to detail was no less than stellar. The plates (some Wedgwood, others specialty plates flown in from France) alone were something to marvel.

The Gastronaut menu was exactly as the title suggests and although many courses, the portions were appropriated in keen fashion:

Truffle Dusted Popcorn

A Shot of Tomato-Orange Bisque

A Tin of Sin: American Osetra Caviar with Peekytoe Crab and Cucumber Rillette

Chilled Maine Lobster with Tomato Water Gazpacho Geleé

Cashew-Crusted Soft Shell Crab Tempura with Coconut-Green Curry and a Glazed Garden Eggplant

Seared Antarctic Sea Bass in an Asian Inspired Broth Perfumed with Ginger

Breast of Pheasant with Sweet Corn Pudding, Succotash and Virginia Mushrooms

Barbequed Jamison Farms Lamb with Their Garden’s Miniature Grilled Vegetables and Harissa Hollandaise

Pineapple Lemongrass Sorbet with Pink Peppercorn Granita

Bitter Chocolate Marquise “Taillevent” with Pistachio Ice Cream

Also of note were three forkfuls of salty/sweet delights with Virginia ham, goat cheese, interesting fruit bits etc. that were served right before all the first course.

I ordered their special occasion dessert as well, and it is called the mini-B (see uploaded pictures of this 45 dollar add-on charmer. It'll have a large glass dome over the plate when presented but didn't get that in the pics).

Irish coffee (see pic)? The best and made right at your table. Fun to watch.

I cannot wait to return and at just 30 minutes away? I'll be returning sooner than later.

Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Very tasty, exciting meal. The food choices were interesting and varied. The waitstaff is professional and efficient. The atmosphere is eclectic but elegant.
There is plenty of good wine, but I couldn't find a value.
As long as you are prepared to drop the down payment on a new car for your dinner and vino, you'll go away satisfied.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

If you like to be pampered and eat well - This is probably the best place in the greater DC area.
We chose the degustation menu - The “Gastronaut’s” Menu including wine pairing. The sommelier was very knowledgable and gave as the full story for each of the 7 wines we tasted.

Service was impeccable and we ended with a tour of the kitchen.

Truffle Dusted Popcorn

A Shot of tomato-orange bisque

A Tin of Sin: American Osetra Caviar with Peekytoe Crab and Cucumber Rillette
Jean-Pierre Legret, Blanc de Blancs, Cuvée Spéciale, Talus-Saint-Prix, Champagne, France (N.V.)

Chilled Maine Lobster with Tomato Water Gazpacho Geleé
Kiralyudvar, Tokaji Furmint Sec, Hegyalja, Hungary (2011)

Seared New England Day Boat Scallop
with a Mélange of Summer Vegetables and Creamy Garlic Grits
Vinedos de Ithaca, Garnatxa Blanca, Odysseus, Priorat, Spain (2011)

Seared Antarctic Sea Bass in an Asian Inspired Broth Perfumed with Ginger
Marie Bernard, En Virondots, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru, Burgundy, France (2008)

Breast of Pheasant with Sweet Corn Pudding, Succotash and Chanterelle Mushrooms
Dusky Goose, Pinot Noir, Dundee Hills, Willamette Valley, Oregon (2007)

Barbequed Jamison Farms Lamb with Our Garden’s Grilled Vegetables and Harissa Hollandaise
Shane Wine Cellars, Syrah, Valenti Ranch, Anderson Valley, California (2009)

Pineapple Lemongrass Sorbet with Pink Peppercorn Granita

Bitter Chocolate Marquise “Taillevent” with Pistachio Ice Cream
Blandy’s, Island Bottled Malmsey, Madeira, Portugal (1994)

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I posted a review for the Inn as a hotel, then I realized that most of my review was actually about the restaurant, so I'm copying much of that same text here:

We just made our third trip to the Inn at Little Washington, to celebrate my 50th birthday. The last time was 10 years ago, for my 40th, and before that, we visited in the early 1990s. I wondered this time if it would live up to my memories and therefore to my heightened expectations. It did. It's amazing just how fabulous this place is, and how it has managed to remain so over a 20 year period (and by all reports, over its entire 35-year lifetime), without slacking off and resting on its laurels. While its steep price really makes it a special-occasion place, it certainly succeeds in providing the epitome of a special-occasion experience, where every single detail has been designed to come as close to perfection as possible.

We did stay overnight in Room 5, overlooking the garden, and both the amenities and the service associated with the lodging are exquisite. But of course the reason for the visit was really the mind-blowing dinner, which for my husband and me was about three and a half hours of bliss. It was especially delightful to find that the whole experience, despite all the elements of elegance, was not in the least intimidating or uptight or haughty. In fact, there were touches of humor and whimsy and joy at every turn, from the adorable little amuse-bouches that arrived first to the extremely entertaining (and equally knowledgeable) gentleman who presented the cheese cart. How wonderful to enjoy serious food without the serious attitude. And the food IS just insanely good -- absolutely delicious, imaginative and beautifully presented without being overly precious. (Don't believe those reviews that say that the courses are so tiny they can't be shared. It's hard to imagine how anyone can say that they felt like there wasn't enough food... )

It must be noted that dining here is very expensive: dinner for 2 starts at $336, and that's before cocktails, wine, tax and gratuity. We ended up at just under $600. However, this is truly a memorable experience for anyone who appreciates food and revels in watching artisans strive for perfection. We're already looking forward to our next visit. I hope we won't wait another 10 years!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a difficult restaurant to rate, and also a tough review to write. Let's just say that we loved the food. It wasn't the best we've ever had, but it was very good and we had a wonderful evening. Plus the service was attentive (although not perfect since one member of our party had something other than expected served and they didn't instantly volunteer to replace it). And yes, the atmosphere is a bit eclectic. But the prices are astronomical in comparison with other great restaurants around the country and around the world. I've given it three start because I couldn't bring myself to consider something exceptional at any cost. In my humble opinion, ultimate greatness involves some balance between quality and cost. This was way off the mark. If you want to be seen or impress others with the price tag, then this is your place. Otherwise, at perhaps $500 per person with wine, not so sure...

3  Thank skgbos