Foster Harris House B&B
US$1,509
US$1,110
US$423
Royal Inn Motel(Front Royal)
US$60
US$73
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscompton roommy husband and iother guestsnext morningtalented chefsconesmulti courseadirondack chairswine pairingyogurt parfaitspa showerincredible breakfastwelcoming hostsbed and breakfastout of this worldattention to detailmy wife's birthday
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We've visited Washington, VA several times to dine at the Inn at Little Washington and always managed the dreadful drive back to Fairfax, Va in our food coma. But this year we decided to stay locally and found great reviews about the Foster Harris House just down the street from the restaurant. Our expectations were well exceeded - John and Diane were extremely gracious hosts and the gourmet breakfast in the morning was outstanding. The rooms and the inn itself is very well maintained, warm and welcoming. We look forward to coming back in the spring for more food and fun in the sun.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I wanted to find a quiet and inviting B&B for a surprise anniversary celebration, and after researching many options, I settled on, and had high hopes for the Foster Harris House. Our experience more than surpassed our expectations. The inn itself is clean and modern, yet also cozy and quaint. The rooms are beautifully decorated, featuring quality linens, a ridiculously comfortable bed, and a great shower. Even the hair dryer and shampoo/conditioner were better quality than what you'd find at most high-end hotels. And that's just the room. The hosts, John and Diane, are engaging, friendly, and available for any question. And it goes without saying that the breakfast was beautiful and delicious. We will definitely return, particularly given all of the offerings for entertainment in the area: wineries, hiking, biking, horseback riding, etc. If you are looking for a relaxing weekend get away, this is it!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank erinpelton
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We enjoyed one night at the Foster Harris House. John and Diane are excellent sources of information about everything in the area; we visited a few wineries that they recommended; and had a really nice stay after our evening at the Inn & Little Washington. The Inn is comfortable and updated, extremely clean; and the breakast was out of this world - everything was fresh and very nice. When we arrived we had done some wine tastings and we asked John for a beer which was very refreshing!! If you need a getaway - this is a terrific place to stay; and they also can provide a bike tour which includes a stay at the Inn - http://www.tourdepicure.com/.

Room Tip: We stayed in the front room and I'm a really light sleeper and heard some road noise in the morning - my husband had NO problem sleeping - so it just depends if you're a light sleeper; maybe take one of the rooms that are not directly facing the street (I am super sensitive with sound....)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisalisa24
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Want to get away and relax or visit with friends and family? this is the place! Diane and John are exceptional hosts- friendly, accommodating, rooms are comfortable and clean, food is delicious and you will hate to leave, but will look forward to returning :-)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank teresa k
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Normally, I’m not a bed and breakfast type of person. Kitsch really isn’t my thing, and I want privacy when I’m on vacation. But we had dinner reservations at the Inn at Little Washington to celebrate my girlfriend’s 30th birthday, and that meant we had to spend the night in one of Washington’s many B&Bs.

I first got the hint that the Foster Harris House might be a different sort of place when I read that John ran culinary cycling tours from the inn. Then I saw pictures of the famous four-course breakfasts and knew that I was on to something special.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, road bikes in tow. John happily directed us to a delicious lunch spot (24 Crows) and gave us laminated cue sheets for a 20+ mile ride through the rolling Virginia hills that included a stop at a local whisky distillery. When we returned, exhausted and delighted, Diane greeted us with cold white wine, which we enjoyed in the stunning garden.

We stayed in the Compton Room, which was bright, clean, and well appointed, with amenities including a newly renovated bathroom. Our breakfast the next morning was scrumptious, and John was happy to talk cycling with us after the meal was over. (He even offered to let us use his cue sheets on our day trips to the region!)

The Foster Harris House changed my perception of what a B&B could be and taught me that there’s much more to Washington than the restaurant down the road. We’ll be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple