“A small but perfectly formed little B&B”

Foster Harris House
Ranked #1 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2013

4 of us visited Foster Harris House when travelling along the East coast from Washington to New York. Virginia was not meant to be the biggest highlight of the trip but for reasons like the Foster Harris it was!

The B&B is easily the best one all of us had ever been too, and it will take a lot to beat!

The B&B is run by a lovely couple, John and Dianne who really have thought of everything. The rooms are bright, pretty, well designed and comfortable.
The house is all very quaint, cosy and in-keeping with the local architecture.
John and Dianne are all set up for advising travelers all the best spots and have maps on hand to assist with finding places like local vineyards, the whiskey distillery and antique shops.
But for us, the best bit, were the AMAZING 4 course breakfasts made by John. Easy our best breakfast on the trip. He even catered for our gluten intolerant friend with different scones.
I would happily go for breakfast every day of the week!
Should we head back to Virginia, we will certainly be booking in at Foster Harris, we loved it!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely, but check out the pictures on the website, they all look exactly like t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Foster Harris House

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Spent a weekend with John and Diane, celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. Perused reviews on Trip Advisor and have to reiterate all of the great comments shared by previous guests. Received a very warm welcome from Diane upon arrival. This warmth extended throughout our stay. We stayed in the Meadow View Room. Loved the fireplace, the view and the beautiful, comfortable canopy bed. Easy to see the attention to detail and focus on cleanliness. Not a dust bunny to be found.

Dinner at the Inn at Little Washington was everything we hoped for and more. Will write separate review for this amazing restaurant.

The 4 course breakfast was truly outstanding. Diane was a very attentive hostess and waitress and moved around the dining room with ease and enthusiasm. John is a gifted chef who makes awesome scones - some of the best we have ever had. Pancakes were so cute we had to take a photo of them. I am not a pancake lover but who could not love a pancake the size of a silver dollar, bursting with intense flavor.

We could not felt more at home if we stayed with close friends. Thank you to Diane and John for welcoming us into your home and allowing us to enjoy a memorable 10 year anniversary!

Room Tip: Meadow View room is a VERY quiet room and fireplace is a wonderful romantic option!
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Washington VA is a rural area filled with farms, local flavor, an internationally known restaurant, and B & B's that support the local economy. We wanted a little get away over Labor Day weekend, and found Foster Harris House was one of the only B & B's that had rooms left for the holiday weekend. After a visit and shopping spree at the Linden Winery, we arrived at the Foster Harris House, laden with boxes of wine. The owners greeted us and helped us unload our car (even the wine!) and showed us our Garden Room, our spot for the first night. Meticulously clean, nicely decorated, and appointed, the room invited us to relax.

We had dinner that evening at Foster Harris House and thought we had died and gone to foodie heaven. Our first course was a fig salad, with ham, mache, and a drizzle of wine enhanced gastrique. Soup was a Carrot Ginger with dill froth. I wanted a gallon. Second course was seared colossal sea scallop and gnocci. Normally, I'm not a big gnocci fan. These were delicious. The main course was pan roasted duck breast with a rosemary port demi-glace. The finish was a chocolate expresso souffle. After that meal, we almost regretted our reservation at the Inn at Little Washington the next night!

Breakfast was a lovely affair on the deck with bird song, butterflies, and lots of great coffee. We moved to the Garden Suite upstairs and enjoyed the larger space, the airy alcove, and multi-fauceted shower. The following morning after our Gastronaut's dinner at the Inn, we didn't want to get out of bed, but *forced* ourselves to go down for another wonderful breakfast prepared by John and served by Diane. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it.

We enjoyed our stay with these lovely people in their B & B and recommend it highly. We look forward to a return trip and two dinners with John and Diane.

Room Tip: The Suite is quieter than the Garden Room. You are less likely to hear people coming and going.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We went back to John and Diane's first rate B&B to celebrate a big birthday for me. We knew we could count on the room and the hospitality (which were still of the highest caliber), but now we could have dinner, too. And it was wonderful--five courses beautifully staged and nicely complementing each other. John uses locally sourced fruits and vegetables and finishes dishes with subtle and creative sauces. Our dinner featured lobster, duck, and a chocolate-espresso soufflé, all of which were wonderful, but I still marvel at the carrot/ginger soup with a dill froth, a purée of smoked corn in a ring of butternut squash, and an ice cream infused with delicate wood flavors (no kidding!). This dinner was so splendid--I had it paired with wines, and these were also chosen with subtlety, including a local vineyard.

If you are hiking in the Shenandoah, visiting Virginia's vineyard, or just need a great meal, head to the Foster Harris House.

Room Tip: Foster Harris House has one room (Compton) with a hide-a-bed, if you're traveling with a teenage...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DohaTravelingmom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Our recent mid-week stay at the Foster Harris House was wonderful. We had "The Suite" and the reading nook view of the sunsetting behind the mountains was beautiful. John and Diane were friendly, gracious hosts and the 4-course breakfast was delicious. If you're planning to grab dinner at The Inn at Little Washington, you should consider staying here for the breakfast. Enjoy - we did!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

To begin, I have to say that I started out disappointed that I was priced out of the Inn. My wife and I were going there for dinner, and we just couldn't justify spending all the money to stay there will all of the premiums for the weekend and other items. My wife, the sleuth that she is, found this place, and I was content that we'd still get to eat at the Inn for dinner.

I couldn't have been happier by staying here. The couple who runs the place were so friendly, polite, and helpful that I can't ever imagine staying at the Inn--I'd probably be disappointed that I didn't stay here. It's kind of like ordering Chinese--why take the risk of trying something new when you know it's a home run eating something else?

Last but not least, the breakfast was INCREDIBLE. I told John myself that the breakfast was better than anything I had at the Inn the night before--my wife and I had the entire tasting menu, ten+ courses and all with wine pairings. But the poached egg with the glazed bacon was, hands down, one of the top five things I've ever eaten in my life. The egg was perfectly poached, freshly plucked from the henhouse, and the liquid golden yolk flowed over the plate. I almost died when I had a perfect bite of the glazed bacon with the yolk and the accompanying avocado salad. This was a meal I couldn't forgot. I've actually forgotten what I ate at the Inn (except for the popcorn), but I can't forget this bacon.

This was so worth the cost. I kind of wish I'd eaten dinner here, too. If I were nitpicking, I'd say I didn't like the shower tile as a matter of personal preference, but that's a real nitpick.

Room Tip: We stayed in the smallest room, and it was lovely. I'm sure that the larger rooms are better, b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AmherstBird
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I booked Foster Harris House based on the TripAdvisor reviews, and we weren't disappointed. Spending two nights in "The Suite" afforded us the opportunity to have two phenomenal four-course breakfasts and a delicious dinner at the House. Our other dinner was at The Inn at Little Washington (which we'd also recommend), and is easily walkable from Foster Harris House. The town is small, and we spent our first afternoon touring the length of Main St. based on some advice from John and Diane (the owners of the B&B). With such a welcoming room/house, extraordinary kitchen-work, and warm people, my wife and I would certainly pick this place again when we return to Washington.

Room Tip: We stayed in "The Suite", which was great, but peeking in each of the open rooms revealed...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
#2 of 8 in Washington
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Foster Harris House? Share your experiences!