“We adore this place”
Review of Middleton Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington
Middleton Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“We adore this place”
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in the cottage with our dogs. Ms. Kuhn, the innkeeper, could not have been more gracious and helpful. The cottage is a beautiful old outbuilding on this beautifully renovated old plantation house. It was spotless and very comfortable, with a whirlpool spa and a fireplace. You could see that she has attended to every detail to make her guests' visit perfect. The breakfast was creative, substantial, and very tasty, served in the main house's dining room. We highly recommend the Middleton Inn.

Room Tip: The cottage is very private.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed here with my husband for our anniversary. It was a nice place, but definitely not the 5 star rating I was hoping for based on other reviews. First off, upon arrival our housekeeper seemed so concerned with giving us the rules of the house (don't park there, eat breakfast at one of two time slots, burn the log in your fireplace according to directions) that she never told us about the wine and cheese hour. We asked her about it the next day, but missed it the day we arrived because we didn't know when it was. Otherwise the housekeeper and the owner were very nice. We did get a bottle of champagne, which was a nice touch. It was chilly outside and the room was quite cold as well - we got around this by burning the logs whenever we were in there and wearing layers even while inside. My only other complaint was that a jacuzzi tub was advertised and the tub in the room was deep, but not a jacuzzi tub or particularly fancy. Overall I enjoyed it but for $400+ I'd expect a bit more. If we go back we'll probably try to find a cheaper inn.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My boyfriend and I had a lovely Easter getaway weekend at the Middleton Inn. We opted to stay in the quaint and romantic country cottage which stood just beside the main house, a grand and beautiful looking estate. It was absolutely charming with a fireplace in the small living room, a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, and a bedroom upstairs with cathedral ceilings and windows that looked out over the horses that were stabled right beside the cottage. It also had a small yard surrounded by a white picket fence that looked out onto the main house, rolling green hills, and blooming trees. There was a bottle of good champagne left as a gift from the owner, Mary Ann, upon our arrival; a very sweet gesture we thought. There were a couple of extremely friendly dogs and cats that roamed the property and happily greeted us whenever we stepped outside the cottage. We had the option of eating breakfast in the dining room of the main house with the other guests, or having our breakfast served to us in the cottage. We decided to have it served to us on the first morning and then to eat in the dining room on Easter morning. The food was incredible, we especially loved the freshly made scones. The hospitality and personalized service were also superb and we found the staff and, in fact, the entire feel of the Inn to be very warm, cozy, and welcoming. We were invited into the main house for a wine and cheese hour each evening in one of the nicely decorated sitting rooms. We had dinner reservations at the Inn at Little Washington which was very close to the Middleton Inn. It was simply amazing; one of the best restaurants we have ever been to. The food, presentation, ambiance, and service were excellent; we even got to tour the kitchen and meet the owner and chef, Patrick O’Connell. It was a wonderful experience. We hiked a trail in nearby Shenandoah National Park one of the afternoons, did some wine tasting at one of the local wineries, and walked around the little town of Washington on another. We felt two days were simply not long enough to fully enjoy the beauty and peacefulness that the Middleton Inn has to offer. We wished we had planned to stay longer.

Both my boyfriend and I fell in love with Washington, Virginia, and especially the Middleton Inn. One of our favorite parts of the weekend was sipping coffee on a sunny Easter morning on the porch of the main house while listening to the birds singing and the bees buzzing, and watching a very agile cat jump around a blooming cherry tree in order to catch a bird. We felt like we were in heaven and couldn’t imagine a better way to spend our Easter holiday. We highly recommend the Middleton Inn and will most certainly return one day.

Room Tip: Stay in the cottage!
Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2011

First, I must say that the staff at Middleton Inn are very kind and welcoming. We were warmly greeted, provided cheese & champagne, and escorted to our room. However, given our experiences at near-by B&Bs and the expense of Middleton Inn, I can not recommend it. Our room was over $400 - way overpriced for the state of our room (chipping pain in bathroom, dirty window sills, no lotion, etc.) and for the mediocre breakfast. Most people vacationing in Little Washington have come for the culinary experience of the ILW...likewise, the area B&Bs have (generally) provided incredible breakfasts. Not Middleton Inn. The breakfast was literally an omelette with some bacon strips. Very boring. Very uninspired. And, to top if off, there was a floating beetle in my coffee!

We have stayed SEVERAL times at the Foster Harris House (right across the street)...much less expensive and MUCH better experience. The room as FH are gorgeous, updated, clean, and welcoming. And, the breakfast rivals the food at the ILW. We have also stayed at the Heritage House (also across the street)...it is also a better choice than the Middleton Inn.

Again, the Middleton Inn staff were kind and accomodating. This is just an honest assessment of our experience. Bottom line: not worth the price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CTM2323
Reviewed 25 March 2011

My husband and I needed to get out of DC for a weekend - Middleton Inn was the perfect choice. Close to home, you feel a million miles away. House is elegant, rooms with fireplaces cozy, views incredible. Breakfast in a picturesque dining room, and you're on your way to explore wineries, the village of Washington, VA...

Reviewed 25 March 2011

We traveled to Washington, VA for my wife's birthday. We were running behind for dinner reservations and the staff at the Middleton Inn took it upon themselves to notify the restaurant. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and quickly checked-in. Waiting for us was a wonderful bottle of chilled champagne in an immaculate and well-appointed cottage. Our breakfast featured delicious homemade scones and a hearty breakfast quiche served by the friendly chef on premises. Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay and we would definitely choose to stay there again!

Houston, texas, USA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,875 helpful votes
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Like most visitors to the Inn we were having dinner at the Inn At Little Washington and wanted to avoid the over $700 a night, with taxes, charges at that Inn. The Middleton is certainly an excellent option and I have no complaints. The greeting was friendly, breakfast was very good (outstanding scones) and our room was very nice and probably a good value for Washington Virginia which is not an inexpensive place to stay, eat or shop. I am not a real B&B fan as I live in an old and charing house and sometime tire of squeaky floors and single sink bathrooms. Our room had a four poster queen bed (My spouse would have preferred a king bed but only one room in the Inn has one and it was taken) nice furnishings, a fireplace and a nice view but after a week of cold weather it was actually a bit hot and the AC was not on which meant open windows during the evening. Some may enjoy the sound of frogs and birds early in the morning but as I am able to experience such sounds at home the charm is lost on me. After being out late I did not appreciate the sounds of nature at 5:00 AM though after I shut the windows I have to admit it was quite and I was able to sleep late and enjoy breakfast in their very lovely dinning room.

I would say that at $300 to $400 a night the Middleton is a good way to make spending $360 a person at dinner, with wine and tips, seem somewhat more reasonable without ruining the experience. I would also note that dinner at the Inn at Little Washington is an experience and if you can afford it you should make the trip.

10 Thank jsthouston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,188 reviews
Caledonia Farm - 1812  B&B
Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
#2 of 3 in Flint Hill

Been to Middleton Inn? Share your experiences!