“What the hell.”
Review of The Inn at Afton

The Inn at Afton
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waynesboro
The Inn at Afton
Ranked #5 of 5 Waynesboro B&B and Inns
Waynesboro, Virginia
“What the hell.”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed all of two hours here and I can tell you, never waste your money here you are better off sleeping in a field during a thunderstorm. I should have known as soon as I saw one of the rooms was missing.. Then I got my key to my room and I didn't work they then told me to work with it. The appearance of the room wasn't so bad until I had to wash my hands and there was blood on the towel. Then as I'm trying to sleep a man on drugs decides he wants to break my door down and finally stopped after a few minutes and me threatening to hit him with a beer bottle I found. I told the man at the desk and he called this man's room. I quickly left. Then they charged me for a stay of three days when I couldn't have even been there for three hours.

• Stayed December 2013
27 Thank thatguy181

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
ireland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Myself and a friend were cycling the TransAm bike route and got caught in a terrible thunderstorm and happend to right beside this Inn so we had little choice .The place is run down , filthy and smelly and should contain a health hazard warning .The room we had had empty beer bottlesand pizza boxes under the beds and a small mouse came out of a hole in the wall to greet us and ran around the room much to our amusement ,we managed to block the mouses hole with a small bath towel.perhaps he had chewed through the TV cable as this was also out of action.What a dump stay well clear

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
17 Thank IrelandWatson49

Travellers are raving about these Waynesboro hotels

Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have a hard time believing that this place is even still open for business! We made an emergency pit stop here when my son had to go to the bathroom as we traveling along I-64. The sign in the window was flashing "Open", so I assumed all was well. Upon first walking into the building, I was overcome by the smell of smoke, mildew, and just plain filth. Had he not had a true "emergency", I would've left immediately. There was no one at the front desk (I never did see another human being). In front of me hung a huge sheet that was hiding something...I didn't even want to know what. There were open spots in the ceiling everywhere with "stuff" hanging down from each opening. We quickly found a dark hallway that appeared to lead to a restroom. As soon as we stepped inside the restroom, we were greeted by a sink with about 5 dead bugs laying in it. There were 3 stalls in this bathroom...2 of which were filled and backed up with feces. It was at this point that we turned and ran out of there as quickly as possible. I would've rather cleaned up the mess he made in his pants than to risk him catching 'who-knows-what' from being in this building any longer. I haven't even begun to describe how horrible this place was. I sure hope someone goes in soon and shuts this place down!! It's a shame, because the view is one of my favorite in the country and it would be a gorgeous setting for a hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
19 Thank CToulouse75
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Over 10 years ago the Afton Inn was a top notch Inn with great banquet facilities, comfortable and well cared for rooms and an incredible view. All that remains now is the view. The rooms are run down, the plumbing works sometimes, the dirt is everywhere, and the temperatures are kept cold because they can't afford the utility bill. It is obvious that the man who owns it is struggling both financially and physically, but his heart seems good and i have seen him give shelter at his own expense to those who really need it. If you are looking for comfort and a standard of other Inns don't stay here. If you want one step up from camping, beautiful views, and are willing to support an Inn who has seen better days, then this would be compassionate choice.

Room Tip: an east facing room will give you a view otherwise you are just stuck with parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank frances m
virginia beach
Reviewed 26 August 2012

terrible.. disgusting , dirty..we were there this week.. and the guy in charge wouldnt even look at me.. he must have been imbarrassed.. the room were disgustingly dirty. glass was broken in the windows. part of the ceiling had come down in the rooms and were on the floor.. the windows were filthy.. the beds were disgusting. they were all stained and old.. it was worse than the bates motel cause the bates motel was at least clean. I would say never ever ever to go there for lodging .. you are better off sleeping on the side of the road.. this way you dont get any bugs or broken glass on you.. we use to go this hotel 20 yrs ago and it was okay.. there was a cat litter box at the bottom of the stairs and I thought that was odd.. the restaurant was open and the food was delicious.. but i had a feeling if things were not taken care of it could go down hill.. and it did.. if someone would just buy out the whole place and turn it around it would be fantastid!! but in the mean time.. dont got there..

Room Tip: dont go to any of the rooms. dont book with afton in. cuase you may get bed bugs or worse
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank karenboo27
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2012

If you are with your buddies going fishing, hunting, or riding the Parkway on motorcycles this is the place you want to stay. They are dog (or pet) friendly. I would guess the owners don't invest enough to make it a pristene palace but I had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. I wish I could have tried the food but I was unaware they had a restuarant. I had to go a few miles away to get food. I would suggest the OutBack Steak House. It seems they are renting some of the rooms to the locals (probably on a weekly or monthly basis) but everyone I saw was friendly. I wish the pool had been open but it was too early in the year (late May). If your girlfriend or wife is high maintenance don't bring her here. She won't like the rough edges and could ruin the trip for you and others tring to enjoy the experience. I plan to go back as soon as I can. Wonderful view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Roger C
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Now, let me start by saying I've never stayed here, I've never made reservations and had to ask for a refund. I just remember driving onto the property to look at the place before I continued on to the Blue Ridge Parkway back in the Spring two or three years ago. I did stop and stand at the RUSTY guard rail to take a few pictures of the beautiful view for a few minutes.

One of the things that stood out when I first entered the parking lot was a broken window with the curtain blowing through it. That was odd. Because of that, I thought the place must have been closed down, it looked that bad, but I did see a few cars there. I MAY have seen the Afton Inn sign in the hotel parking lot (in that website picture) back then. Just the outward appearance of this place was a turn-off enough to never want to stay here.

Today, on my way back east on 64 from West Virginia, I thought I'd jump off the interstate and see what had changed with the hotel. Well, I couldn't even remember the name of the hotel. I just remember the orange-roofed building below AND the famous rusty water tower. I drove past that Afton Inn sign located at ground level with the peeling orange lettering and guessed that might be the name of the hotel up there. When I got into the parking lot I could see NO sign identifying the hotel. Just a lit "Open" sign hanging in the window of the entrance. I saw maybe 8 cars in the parking lot. One positive -- looks like the window with the blowing curtain got fixed.

As I was leaving the parking lot, I looked to the left and saw one car parked in that row of spaces. Then I noticed a brown oil drum (like the one you might have had behind your house for heating oil with a wire attached to it that appeared to be connected to the building) in one of the parking spaces. What the heck is that for?

Who stays here??? Transients? When I read reviews of how bad the rooms were, I couldn't believe anyone would DARE eat food prepared here or drink the water.

I agree with other posters that this is a BEAUTIFUL location for a new hotel. I would normally never wish for a hurricane to hit a structure, but this may be the exception, and that is ONLY after it is closed down and there are no lives in danger. Mary and Joseph probably had better accomodations than this place provides. They would have been grateful there was no room at THIS inn! Seriously, if they tore down the hotel and made the property a campground, that would be an improvement.

It would be a beautiful thing to see this dump gone one day and some bright, shiny, new structure in its place. And what's with those hideous buildings down below? This is a chunk of real estate with so much potential, it isn't funny. If I'm on this stretch of 64 again, I'll have to stop in just to see if one day that bright shiny place has become a reality. I probably won't be able to afford to stay there, but it'll still be comforting to know that this spot is no longer an eyesore at the intersection of The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. That it has been allowed to exist this long is a real shame.

Room Tip: Wait until this building is demolished, and a new hotel takes its place. When that happens, all the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo