“Late Saturday Dinner”

Chauncey's Smokehouse and Bar
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our group consisted of eleven which included two children. We arrived about 8:00 pm for a late dinner and the restaurant was near empty. We were seated directly in front of where a band was setting up which was fine. We enjoyed the band very much! We had a very, very long wait for our dinner to be served which was challenging with two small children. The food was ok to good, but needs some improvement. Two of our group arrived at 8:50 pm to join us and were charged a cover charge to enter. By this time the band was playing and the music was great, but someone from management approached our table and said we could not stay long because after 9:00 pm children were not allowed in the facility. So, our late guests paid a $10 cover charge plus ordered several items from the menu and alcohol and then were not allowed to enjoy what they paid for. Our entire group exited the facility at approximately 9:45 pm. When we left there were only FOUR other customers in the entire restaurant. Not sure if we will try it again.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've read some of the reviews and hate reading that people aren't happy with this new restaurant. I've been several times and was pleased both times. New businesses have to work out the kinks sometimes! I had a nice lunch of Carolina BBQ and sides, it was very tasty. The cole slaw was different but really good. The atmosphere is plain but clean and nice. As time has passed bands are playing to bring more customers and I hope it does. A lovely and inviting outdoor patio will be nice for the summer. As for the prices I thought they were comparable to other restaurants. The servers need to brush up on their customer service skills. I'm all about customer service!

1  Thank PoppyC64
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The burnt ends are definitely not burnt brisket ends. They're steak tips of some sort. Probably sirloin tips. And the ribs were dry and chewy. Not good at all for the hefty prices they charge for those. The sides were not very good either green beans and baked beans were no better than canned ones(which they probably were) and the Mac n cheese was dry and flavorless. I've worked in several restaurants one being a great BBQ place in Richmond and I find this Chauncey's to be mediocre at best restaurant. This is not even to mention they have no salads on the menu not even a starter or side salad. Pretty horrible overall.

2  Thank Slaym F
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My first impression was dry. So were my 2nd and 3rd. The pulled pork had a good flavor but was horribly dry. They were pitifully scarce on sauces. Every good BBQ has a variety of sauces. 2 sauces doesn't comprise a variety.

The atmosphere doesn't look much different than it did as the failed Capn Sams at the same location. They seemed more focused on the bands coming there than in making good food.

My table also had burnt ends and brisket. While they all had the same smoky flavor, which was good, their's was also dry.

On a good side, the wait staff was very good. Very attentive.

Another highlight was the homemade chips.

I thought the prices were too high for the portion sizes. I felt like I had been taken. There are other BBQ joints within 30 min that are far far superior. I was disappointed. I've been to BBQ joints across the nation. I was initially excited to have one locally...until I went. I know good BBQ. This wasn't it.

1  Thank WesM64
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Everyone knows that the beginning of a new business is going to have issues to overcome, I would like to think that people will give this place a 2nd try. My husband and I have always had to go over an hour away to get good BBQ, we were thrilled and very satisfied on our 1st visit to this restaurant, and have been back several times since. The owner was kind enough to take us in the back and show us the smoker "Big Juicy", since it seems that most smokers are named, which we thought was a great idea. This is the biggest smoker we have ever seen, my husband loved it. It's an inside smoker, although of course most of the back is outside, they use hickory wood. I would recommend if anyone questions the smoke, they should ask for the owner to see the smoker. Everything we had was very obviously smoked and you could see the smoke rings - Again, I think people should expect growing pains from any business and should always be open to trying again - We thought it was great!

2  Thank Lelia C