“Sweet indeed”

Ranked #43 of 94 Restaurants in Waynesboro
Virginia
“Sweet indeed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The owner is very skilled and creates wonderful cupcakes and desserts. If sugar is your thing, you should drop by.

Visited March 2014

Staunton, VA
“Trendy semi-homemade cupcake bakery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I'm always excited to try a new bakery and stopped in here after work one evening. I rang the bell for service and a lady came right out from the kitchen. She was friendly and answered my questions, although she seemed a little taken aback that I was asking about their ingredients. I try to avoid trans-fats, which is sometimes difficult with baked goods.

It turns out this shop uses semi-homemade and homemade baking styles. Cupcakes start with box mixes, which are then enhanced and baked. Their frostings are homemade and butter-based, which I prefer over shortening. The advantage to this type of product is a lower price than fully homemade, and a longer shelf life due to starting with a box mix. I am sure there is a high demand for their product.

I tried 5 types of cupcakes including vanilla, chocolate, coconut, red velvet and lemon. The cakes were all moist and tender. Red velvet and lemon had a filling, which was a nice surprise. I believe the lemon filling was a store-bought lemon pie filling, but it was in line with their semi-homemade philosophy. The frostings were all tasty and there was plenty of it without being too much.

These cupcake stood out from the crowd with their artistic touches. There was (edible) glitter all over the place! And several of the cupcakes had candy toppers like a fondant lemon wedge, red heart or flower. These would give a very nice impression for a party or as a gift.

I also saw some cookies and assume they make some other home-style baked items at different times. There were a few slices of cheesecake that looked suspiciously like they may have come from a restaurant supplier. But again, they aren't trying to be a fully-from-scratch bakery. This is convenience with panache!

Overall, I would probably go back. This is a step up from a grocery store bakery without having to pay the high prices of a fancier place. The interior is decorated very nicely and you can sit and have a nice coffee with your baked treat as well. Like many small businesses, I do wish they were open later in the evening.

• Visited April 2014