“Wonderful German food!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Durham, North Carolina
“Wonderful German food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

It's like a little trip to Germany. Outstanding! I had the cheese plate with rye bread and potato salad. Dad had a sausage with sourkraut. We've eaten here for years and it is A OK!

• Visited May 2014

Elizabethton, Tennessee
“What a refreshing surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I heard about this place through the grapevine, and what a wonderful surprise it was! I had the Zigeunerschnitzel, and it was amazingly good! I do not consider myself an expert on German cuisine, but I have travelled in Germany and it is as good as anything I have had on my travels. My girlfriend had the Jägerschnitzel and it was perfectly prepared as well. For dessert, we shared a slice of Bienenstich or Bee sting cake which is a German dessert made of sweet yeast dough with a baked-on topping of caramelized almonds and filled with a vanilla custard, Buttercream or cream. It was almost enough to make a fat man cry!
Very good, reasonable prices and fine fine service. Give it a try!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank timmosams
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

We had dinner at this lovely place on Friday May 3. Everyone in our party enjoyed the many different entrée selections and had to have take out boxes so we would have room for dessert! If you enjoy authentic German food in a wonderful, cozy cottage then this is definitely the place for you! Make sure you order the red cabbage as a side, YUM! Don't pass up the Black Forest Cake. It's to die for and I am not even a huge chocolate fan!
Call for reservations, expect a leisurely pace, bring cash, and enjoy a taste of heaven in the tiny town of Weber City. The owners are very hospitable as well. Just thinking about our meal there makes me smile! Cant wait to return:) Next time I will order the rouladen ahead of time when I make reservations. It's got to be just as fabulous as everything else!

• Visited May 2013
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Like a Visit to Germany in Southwest Virginia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

This is one of our favorite restaurants. Since we live only about 20 minutes away, we have the benefit of getting to go often. As soon as you drive up and see the restaurant, you feel like you have already been transported to Germany. The Gasthaus is designed and decorated in beautifully authentic fashion. As lovely as the setting is, the real treat is the food ... delicious German dishes prepared and served by the owners, Ingrid and Edwin. Dining here is like going to their home for dinner. Plan a leisurely meal since each dish is prepared from scratch when ordered. Any short wait for that preparation is certainly worth it. The restaurant is small and cozy which allows for lots of personal attention from the owners; so, reservations are a must for dinner. They are only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for lunch and dinner. Every dish we have tried has been excellent.

• Visited May 2013
Still Traveling
“Recommend! Authenic German cuisine in a cozy home atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Reserve ahead! I lived in Germany 16 months and the food there is unique, gourmet, and tastes the same all over Germany whether a sidewalk stand or elegant restaurant--sooo delicious!!!! American prepared German food tastes differently (eg, German red cabbage has apple in it..American German red cabbage does not). This is the real deal and worth the visit.

• Visited April 2013