“Random Find”

Cuisines: American
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Random Find”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Random find while looking for a typical "market"-- but pleasantly surprised by the result! Not a market at all. Actually, I thought the whole thing was a little confusing. Thave have some wines and some beers, and rack of chips and some other random grocery items-- but clearly the draw is the prepared food. We got some baby back ribs and crab cakes (both accompanied by green beans and new taters) and a bottle of wine for about $50. Pretty good deal! The food was quite good. Not the best ribs I've ever had, but solid. Crab cakes were mostly crab-- not much filler, very good. 2 big cakes for $20. I'll ding them a big for the uncreative sides and the confusing nature of the place (how do I order? where do I pick up?) but a solid find.

• Visited May 2014

“Impressive gourmet market with bakery and meats”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is not a restaurant but a place to buy food and premade meals to take with you. Wanting to make an impressive meal for my family on a recent trip to Irvington, we were told to try the River Market for steaks. If you enjoy cooking, you have to check this place out! Wines, bakery, premade salads and lots more! I believe the owner's name is Jim. I told him we needed 5 NY Strips for dinner. He told me he didn't have 5, but invited me into the back room and pulled out half a cow (giant piece of sirloin) and suggested for 5 people we take a piece of that. He cut a 1" center piece out of the steak right in front of me - talk about a hand cut steak. He told me how to season (anything more than olive oil salt and pepper and I should find a better place to buy my meat) and gave me great suggestions for cooking the meat - a combo of grilling and baking, which I wouldn't have thought of. Purchased steamed asparagus that looked amazing (it was too!) and some hot cross buns (Easter weekend) that were fresh out of the oven for breakfast the next day (awesome). They had ready made salads, twice baked potatoes and loaves of great looking crusty bread that would have been great, but decided against it for dinner that night. Jim recommended a great wine. Kids were checking us out and they were all smiles and helpful. Next time we're in town, we will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2014
Ocran, Virginia, United States
“Wine and more”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Weekly Friday evening wine tastings so much fun with in-house snacks. Caters to carry out excellent entrees, all under $20 with all the fixings; at least 5 choices per evening. Why cook? Jim does a fantastic job even if a 'river-neck'. Progressives, stay quiet.

Visited March 2014
washington
“Excellent choice for lunch”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

So glad we stopped here as by far it's the best lunch we had even compared to some uber expensive places.

Their sandwiches are fresh and tasty. They make them in front of you and pack them to go. I only wish they had a place to sit inside or would put some tables out back. It would be bustling if they changed the concept to cafe style. We drove down the road and had the most amazing picnic lunch with our lovely lunches.

1 Thank Lyah78
Hampton, Virginia
“Foodie Heaven”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you are driving through the lovely area of Irvington/Whitestone be sure to make your way to The River Market. We were lucky enough to have a friend turn us on to this food mecca. We wnet past it and asked where it was only to see we had just gone right by. The sign on the side says something like "It's all about the food" and I would have to agree. We walked into what appears to be a wine shop. As we proceeded I noticed specialty items such as imported olive oil, risotto, and pastas. Racks of fresh baked breads lure you back where you will see racks of delicious looking barbacued ribs cooling. A large cauldron of soup was just off the stove and cooling on the counter. We inquired what it was and were given a sample of incredible seafood gumbo. The gumbo had crab, shrimp, and spicy sausage. Yum, sold. Further along the counter were bowls of iced shrimp salad(huge shrimp) and crab/shrimp salad. A sample of this tasted of fresh seafood, lemon, light on the mayo letting the seafood shine through. Next to this was a Farfalle pasta salad with feta and Kalamata olives. I definately wanted to get some of this. Perfect for a hot day. There is a refrigerator case to the left where you will find most of wonderful food they make packaged up.

We were on our way to shop in Kilmarnock and didn't want to leave the food in the car while shopping so stopped back in on our way back to our Deltaville B&B. Unfotunately all the pasta salad was gone. Bummer! But we purchased a wide vairety of other items; Gumbo, potato salad, key lime pie, seafood salad, and pork barbacue.

Last night my husband and I had the pork barbacue with the potato salad. Best barbacue I ever ate. Lovely hunks of smokey pork, tender but not shreddie. My husband who is a potato salad hound loved the salad. Tonight we are having the gumbo, can't wait. I also sampled their fresh apple danish which had fresh apples scented with vanilla, not too sweet, cooked in flaky puff pastry.

I am trying to figure out how I can access all this good food from home in Hampton. Oh well I guess a field trip will be necessary in the near future. Do yourself a favor an pop in when you can. The food is not cheap but as any good cook knows good food, good ingredients are not cheap and this is top notch cuisine which won't disappoint.

• Visited August 2013